cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Now, in addition to non-48 hour offers, eBay is trying to trick you into accepting offers

In addition to:
empowering buyers by letting them retract offers whenever they want
allowing buyers to make variable time offers
(https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/Why-oh-why-did-ebay-bring-back-variable-time-limit-offers-I/m-...)

eBay is now literally trying to trick you into accepting offers when you think you're declining or countering offers.

When you're doing a repetitive task, like answering a LOT of offers in a row, User Interface, muscle memory, and other habits are very important.

eBay is deceptively moving the buttons around as you're loading pages.

Can you think of any other User Interface that works like this?

Can you imagine if each time you took a phone call, the "answer" and "decline" buttons were randomly assigned to the left or right side? How many calls would you answer that you didn't mean to, and how many would you decline that you needed to answer?

Can you think of another User Interface that works well that is designed like this?

ebay_offer_01.jpg

Message 1 of 54
latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

Now, in addition to non-48 hour offers, eBay is trying to trick you into accepting offers

I've noticed this too. It's extremely annoying.

THIS SPACE LEFT INTENTIONALLY BLANK
Message 2 of 54
latest reply

They also changed the scripts so you can't hit "enter" to submit, you have to manually scroll down to click each button.

Message 3 of 54
latest reply

Thanks for the heads up.... 

Message 4 of 54
latest reply

@city*satins wrote:

I've noticed this too. It's extremely annoying.

i genuinely believe this isn't merely "annoying", but that it is intentional and malicious

Message 5 of 54
latest reply

@netherworldgames wrote:

They also changed the scripts so you can't hit "enter" to submit, you have to manually scroll down to click each button.

AND THE BACK BUTTONS DON"T ALWAYS WORK

Message 6 of 54
latest reply

It really isn't surprising. They have always used dishonest deceptive practices to screw with the sellers. Good catch.
Message 7 of 54
latest reply

@netherworldgames 

"i genuinely believe this isn't merely "annoying", but that it is intentional and malicious"

and should be illegal.

Default settings or button-placement trickery should NEVER be in the favor $$$ of the Seller (Ebay in this case) - resulting in a loss to the customer (the sellers here = Ebays customers)

...it's like shops on Ebay having an automatic pre-checked box or button strategically placed (that they would easily accidentally tap) to add things to our customers carts (stuff they DON'T Want!)  - uh, no. not ok.

how is it legal for Ebay or any corporate site to do this? 

Message 8 of 54
latest reply

@kelekt wrote:

In defense of other random corporations, I can't think of another that does this.

Message 9 of 54
latest reply

@netherworldgames 

the other E site does it. one that I can say for sure is - automatic relist pre-checked box. if you are not careful and forget to UNCHECK the automatic relist (pre-checked by Et*y) button your listings will continually relist $$$.

I guess that is  like the Ebay Good Till Cancelled. 

et** may have changed that now? but that was happening for sure and I stopped selling there (way too many sneaky underhanded manipulative things happening on that site, too)

that site is just as nasty and underhanded with their trickery to get $$$ for investors at the expense of the sellers

all these sites have way too much power without enough laws to protect customer (the sellers)

Message 10 of 54
latest reply

@kelekt wrote:

@netherworldgames 

the other E site does it. one that I can say for sure is - automatic relist pre-checked box. if you are not careful and forget to UNCHECK the automatic relist (pre-checked by Et*y) button your listings will continually relist $$$.

I guess that is  like the Ebay Good Till Cancelled. 

Well, that checkbox is prominent on the page and in the same place. And if 20 cents for 4 months is going to eat into your profits, well, you have bigger worries.

Message 11 of 54
latest reply

first of all, I really wish people weren't so rude here on the forms.

Most sellers have several listings up and those fees add up. That can greatly affect some people financially and who are you or any of us to say what amount of $ makes a difference in another persons life?

compassion goes a long way in this cruel world. just sayin'

and ANY fee for any amount $ that is received/taken/stolen by using deceitful practices or "trickery" should be illegal to protect consumers.

Message 12 of 54
latest reply

No checkbox/option which will incur fees should EVER be checked by default (on ANY site).
Message 13 of 54
latest reply

@netherworldgames wrote:

@kelekt wrote:

In defense of other random corporations, I can't think of another that does this.

When i wrote this, i was referring to the part of the conversation referencing where ebay moves buttons around in an attempt to get you to accept offers you'd normally counter or decline. Someone ELSE brought "automatic renewal buttons", which tons of sites do, and in my opinion is reasonably legitimate.

These are two separate issues, please don't conflate the two.

Message 14 of 54
latest reply

This is disgusting. Its an obvious gross attempt to deceive sellers into selling items when they otherwise would not. I cant imagine the trouble this is going to cause when scammers realize lowball offers are getting accepted by mistake and sellers do not ship.
Message 15 of 54
latest reply