cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Ebay, you will not get a copy of my identity card!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Today Ebay promted me to verify my sellers info, identity and bank account number. Immediately after that it told me it could not verify my information. I did the microdeposits thing to verify my bank account. But I will not send Ebay a copy of my identity card to verify my identity.

Stop bull**bleep**ting people into giving up all their personal info. You are a commercial business, not a bank or government. If you guys are hacked then my info including that copy of my ID will be abused by criminals, and you won't solve all the resulting problems.

Poor practice guys, fix this!

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

All info must identically sync with your bank info online: uppercase, lowercase, spaces, punctuation etc. as it is done electronically. If they asked for ID or some kind of visual proof then something was mismatched. Try again.

BTW you're not addressing ebay, this is a members forum. Good luck~

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Did you ever use Paypal? If so, you do realize Paypal was just hacked a few months ago right?

The social security thing I get but from what I've read they already have everyone's SSN they just need the last 4 digits to be verified. As for a copy of an ID, big deal? What are you worried someone can do with that even if it is stolen? I really doubt an ID by itself is enough information to steal your identity or something.

Besides I am pretty sure most of that info is encrypted. Not sure about pictures but SSNs for sure would be.

I really just don't understand all this paranoia about not trusting large companies with some of your info that is needed to continue there.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

You are right, and yes I know, when that happened I changed my password immediately for what it's worth. I don't have a credit card. A credit card is not a common thing in The Netherlands, so for international shopping PayPal is the second best option.

The thing that **bleep** me off is just how they approach this. First you give them the info they need, well, they leave you no choice really. Then they claim something is wrong and force me to give up even more personal information like a copy of my ID. This is how scammers and shady businesses operate to set you up.

It's not just Ebay, it is happening all over the internet and I think it sucks big time. But I care more about this one because I use Ebay a lot and now I feel blackmailed into giving up my privacy yet again.

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well anyway, I'm done with Ebay, just closed my account.

Can you please delete this topic? Don't think this needs to be on the web forever 🙂

Thanks all, bye.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I got hacked while on ebay several years ago and now the snips are running cover for them saying it did not happen, even after several employees verified the hack. It's ridiculous how they run for cover when the truth is exposed. 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Rubbish -

The only time it happened was in about February / March of 2014 Ebay was hacked.  The site was hacked.  The hackers were able to get the passwords on quite a few accounts.  However that is encrypted information and the hackers were never able to break the coding, so they never got to our more sensitive information.  So no one lost any financial info and Ebay did have some as sellers put in auto payment information for the Monthly Seller Invoice and some sellers had credit cards as a back up funding source.  But the Ebay security held up to this attack and sellers were no worse for the wear. 

Your personal eBay account may have been hacked, but your info certainly wasn't - or do you have a link to prove your repetitive claim? It certainly would have been newsworthy

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

Well anyway, I'm done with Ebay, just closed my account.

Can you please delete this topic? Don't think this needs to be on the web forever 🙂

Thanks all, bye.

You would need to report your original post, and ask a moderator to remove the thread. Not sure if they will remove it though, but they might lock it.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

"How dare you to ask me to identify myself.  I quit selling.  Close my account. Delete this post."

Harden My Heart - Quarterflash
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Ebay will NOT be getting a copy of my photo ID.  There is no law requiring it.  They just want to sell your personal information.  After decades on ebay with no problems, I guess I will leave.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply