cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New USPS rate .... errrnt!!!

Just finished printing some labels with the new USPS rates ... on items 1 LBS or heavier I list both Parcel Select and Priority Mail.  Most Buyers pick Parcel Select because it's cheaper and I will normally upgrade to Priority using my discount and pay just a little less the the Parcel Select rate. 

Not any more ... with the new rates Priority with the discount is more than Parcel Select ... sad but true.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 1 of 49
latest reply
48 REPLIES 48

Re: New USPS rate .... errrnt!!!

I'm on the east coast & sell mainly china.

I've used Fed-Ex home delivery for years for heavier items

that have to go a long distance.

They are almost always less expensive than USPS.

I've had no problems at all with them.

And yes, as a previous poster stated there have been rate decreases

with Fed-Ex lately, much to my surprise.

I think I'll be using them more than ever.

Message 31 of 49
latest reply

Ya,but Fedex does not pickup your item for free,you have to take the packages to their pickup point,which costs time and gas money.

Robert E.Swank
Message 32 of 49
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 2.02.27 PM.png

You are correct. Screen shot from the seller hub. 

Anyone using Fed Ex should have their own account and tie it into the ebay account. That way you are the shipper of record, and when the adjustment charges start rolling in, you can contest them.

Message 33 of 49
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@mr_lincoln wrote:  ... with the new rates Priority with the discount is more than Parcel Select ... sad but true.

I just did a spot check for several weight/zone combinations, and the Parcel Select cost was less than the net cost after you take the TRS discount (i.e., online Priority rate times .97). Are you sure you were working with the online rates for Priority?  For Zones 1 - 4, the before-discount cost for Priority is literally 10 cents more than for Parcel Select.

New Priority Mail Commercial rate for 2020:

Priority online 2020 to 8 opounds.png

Parcel Select Ground rates for 2020:

Parcel Select 2020 to 8 pounds.png

Looks like the territories in zone 9 are really gonna get hit in 2020.

Message 34 of 49
latest reply

Zone 9 includes Palau, Federated States of Micronesia, and the Marshall Islands, which are technically separate countries which use the USPS postal system. The Northern Marianas are Zone 8, along with Guam and American Samoa. 

Message 35 of 49
latest reply

I take all my USPS packages to the p.o. too,

so we just go to Fed-Ex while we're out.

My Fed-Ex shipping center is only about a mile from my house so not a problem.

My p.o. is only a few blocks away too.

I realize that this is not convenient for everyone.

Just telling you my situation.

Message 36 of 49
latest reply

99.9% of my customers are zone 8.  Gotta love living in Hawaii!

Smoke From A Distant Fire - Sanford Townsend Band
Message 37 of 49
latest reply

UPDATE:  I figured out why the weights were off this past weekend.  Items that ended Saturday the 25th or were an outright purchase that day had the old shipping rates but labels printed on the 26th or after have the new rates ...

Example below, it ended Sat but is still unpaid so if I print a label now it will be more regardless of whether it is Parcel Select or discounted Priority Mail ...

Screenshot (1862).png

Regards,
Message 38 of 49
latest reply

Ya there's a difference between living in town where it's convenient to do business,but when you live out in the rural area away from town,it's not too handy.USPS picks up my package here at the residence,but Fedex packages have to be taken 15 mile to the nearest drop off spot which is not handy at all.

Robert E.Swank
Message 39 of 49
latest reply

No, you should use FedEx if the cost is less. Just don't cheat on your measurements and you will be fine. We use them whenever the cost is different and save significant $ when we do.

Message 40 of 49
latest reply

********General Reply******

This link will give you all the information on all types of USPS shipments.

https://pe.usps.com/resources/PriceChange/January%202020%20-%20Notice123.pdf

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 41 of 49
latest reply

Howdy  csbbct.....I have switched over to FedEx exclusively for any package over the 1788 DIM weight....and the USPS has lost a ton of money I am certain, by their rate changes....today, for example, I had a huge box, USPS wanted $160 to ship, and FedEx? $59.00!!  I have seen Parcel Select cost more than Priority on many packages, and of course I just switch to FedEx and get a much more reasonable price.  Another nice thing is that FedEx Home is about 5 days shipping time VS 9 days plus for USPS Parcel Select.  Big mistake on the Postal Services part, I'm sure they are starting to see the results of their declining sales in ground postage.  And bravo to FedEx for seeing this too, and offering LOWER pricing to encourage sellers to switch!  

-Dippitydoo

Message 42 of 49
latest reply

The fees for this and that, which FedEx added on to my shipping costs when actually billed versus the estimate shown to me when printing my label, caused me to abandon them.

Message 43 of 49
latest reply

We use nothing but Priority Mail on everything because of the swift delivery and these packages get a little more tender loving care it seems as we have NEVER and I mean never had a damage claim and never lost a package. EXCELLENT SERVICE ALL ROUND .

Message 44 of 49
latest reply

@dippitydoo wrote:

Howdy  csbbct.....I have switched over to FedEx exclusively for any package over the 1788 DIM weight....and the USPS has lost a ton of money I am certain, by their rate changes....today, for example, I had a huge box, USPS wanted $160 to ship, and FedEx? $59.00!!  I have seen Parcel Select cost more than Priority on many packages, and of course I just switch to FedEx and get a much more reasonable price.  Another nice thing is that FedEx Home is about 5 days shipping time VS 9 days plus for USPS Parcel Select.  Big mistake on the Postal Services part, I'm sure they are starting to see the results of their declining sales in ground postage.  And bravo to FedEx for seeing this too, and offering LOWER pricing to encourage sellers to switch!  

-Dippitydoo

The Post office is 2 miles away

Fedex is 10 miles away

UPS is 15 miles away

Pick up here is not an option for FedEx and UPS ... USPS is the low cost solution.

Regards,
Message 45 of 49
latest reply