cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Link Restrictions - Unable to use word "LINK" in jewelry description now??

Just curious to find out if there's a work-around on this.  Just listed a Brighton watch.  Watch has a toggle  on one end of the bracelet that can be looped into one of four links to adjust for wrist size.  I used the word "link" several times in my listing description.  When I went to go "live" with my listing, an ebay error message popped up saying that external links are now prohibited in their listings.  I knew that.  But the links I was using are just words in my description.  I was unable to proceed with my listing until I removed all of the "links."  I replaced them all with the word "loops," but was wondering what other people are doing?  Is there a work-around for this?

As a sidenote.....I also ran into a similar problem with a "techie" tshirt I was trying to list.  eBay wouldn't permit it in the tshirt category - too many buzz words on it.  Ended up listing it in a computer cat.

Sigh......18 years on ebay and we STILL haven't figured it out......  🙂

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

It appears that you found the work-arounds.

The first clue to remember is that Artificial Intelligence isn't all that intelligent.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

No one at ebay must wear a watch, because a good metal band has 'links' to add or remove to adjust.

Embarassing.

Add this to eBay's one-size-fits-all policy on banning certain words or phrases with no clue as to the many legitimate uses.

I wonder if it is still difficult to impossible to list Zane Grey's book "Western Union"?

Or Ivory Soap.

or, can't even remember any of the other many forbidden words from the past.

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

I find that i can use an alternative word and list the item.

Then after it is listed revise the item and put in the word I wanted to use.

Has worked for me...

Patd

Message 5 of 14
latest reply

@boonerbarros wrote:

Just curious to find out if there's a work-around on this.  Just listed a Brighton watch.  Watch has a toggle  on one end of the bracelet that can be looped into one of four links to adjust for wrist size.  I used the word "link" several times in my listing description.  When I went to go "live" with my listing, an ebay error message popped up saying that external links are now prohibited in their listings.  I knew that.  But the links I was using are just words in my description.  I was unable to proceed with my listing until I removed all of the "links."  I replaced them all with the word "loops," but was wondering what other people are doing?  Is there a work-around for this?

As a sidenote.....I also ran into a similar problem with a "techie" tshirt I was trying to list.  eBay wouldn't permit it in the tshirt category - too many buzz words on it.  Ended up listing it in a computer cat.

Sigh......18 years on ebay and we STILL haven't figured it out......  🙂

@Anonymous alan@ebay

More bad coding.  Using the word "link" should not trigger a warning about external links.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Oh yeah!  Forgot about revising my listing to get what I want - duh!

Just popped over and gave it a try on this listing....... no dice, didn't take.  Received same error message.  But thanks for the suggestion!

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

For what it's worth - I have an "Encore Microfiber Tablecloth Ivory" listing that's been up for a few months.  (Sold one previously).  The color Ivory appeared in the drop down box for color selection.

Maybe if Ivory is already an eBay color selection in certain categories it is okay?

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Only 5 use it in the title but 4,500 have it in the description.  This is for bracelets only.

I am sure there are additional ones for watches.

So it must be a temporary glitch.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@d-k_treasures wrote:

No one at ebay must wear a watch, because a good metal band has 'links' to add or remove to adjust.

Embarassing.

No kidding.

And ridiculous.

They ended up listing a t-shirt in the Computer categories?!?!?

And then they keep blaming sellers for all their troubles? 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 10 of 14
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

Only 5 use it in the title but 4,500 have it in the description.  This is for bracelets only.

I am sure there are additional ones for watches.

So it must be a temporary glitch.

Temporary glitches today are tomorrows rules.

Why ban the word link, anyway?  No listing ever said LINKS TO OUTSIDE SALES 😋

It must be very recent. There are 16,000 listings for watch band links, and 1.34 M listings with the word link in the title.  Did you have it in all caps or that's for emphasis?

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@gracieallen01 wrote:

It appears that you found the work-arounds.

The first clue to remember is that Artificial Intelligence isn't all that intelligent.

And apparently, at least in eBay Land, neither is the organic (aka carbon based) intelligence.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Try typing the word link with hyphens as in -link-   The computer may not spot it.

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 14 of 14
latest reply