cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Enhanced eBay Search

I just found a short but interesting article that was just posted on Ina's site about some new changes being initiated to ebay search designed to "enhance" customer search results. The article quotes excerpts from eBay product manager Jason Fletchall taken from eBays corporate blog. Here are a few doozys:

"Providing too many options can be overwhelming for people shopping on eBay"

"At eBay, we've started enhancing our product and search results pages that will meet our customer needs at each step in the shopping process."

"As consumers browse eBay, we've leveraged machine-assisted and deep learning features to help surface the best items for their needs."

"Our goal is to make it easier and more convenient to understand the unparalleled breadth of eBay's inventory, as well as quickly cut through this inventory to find the best deal for you. Doing this well involves understanding the tradeoffs between different listings for something you are shopping for."

Here is the link to the article for anyone who wants to read it:

http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y16/m03/i30/s02

I am one day away from my worst sales month in 2 years, and this article instills little confidence that things are going to get any better soon for small sellers on eBay.

Message 1 of 51
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

New Enhanced eBay Search

@gracieallen01 wrote:

Ebay wants sales - yes.

Ebay doesn't care if it is you that has the item for sale or if it is someone in China or if it is someone in Honolulu or Kalamazoo.  Ebay just wants the sale.

Ebay doesn't care if the item is what the buyer started out looking for.  If it is cheaper, more expensive, a different color or a different maker, ebay wants the sale.  It doesn't matter if the buyer was even looking for THAT tiem - they started our looking for a pair of shoes and, instead, bought 'shoes' (tires) for their car - ebay wants the sale.

Ebay doesn't care in the least - who, what, how or where - just so SOMETHING sells.  Ebay gets their money (fees, ads space, etc) paypal gets their cut ....

.... and all is right with the world.

People are more likely to buy if they're shown what they are looking for.

People are less likely to buy if they are shown items they aren't looking for.

Whenever a seller finds the key to success, ebay changes the lock>wah photo 0767_zpsx6rpcmh5.png

View Best Answer in original post

Message 22 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

New Enhanced eBay Search

That is absolute BALONEY!

I am NOT overwhelmed by too many results. I'm a big girl, I can handle it. 

I don't want eBay or anyone else limiting/throttling my search results! BAH!

That makes me angry.. angryrant.gif

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 2 of 51
latest reply

New Enhanced eBay Search

@universalman69 wrote:

"Providing too many options can be overwhelming for people shopping on eBay"

Hence some sellers items will not be shown.

I love the smell of packaging tape in the morning.
Message 3 of 51
latest reply

New Enhanced eBay Search

#$&^%!!

Message 4 of 51
latest reply

New Enhanced eBay Search

Ebay wants to micro manage everything ...total control freaks

Message 5 of 51
latest reply

New Enhanced eBay Search

Wow I can't believe the hackneyed jargon in just the snippets of the article.

As a buyer and a seller here's what I found most annoying and frankly, surprising:

"Our goal is to make it easier and more convenient to understand the unparalleled breadth of eBay's inventory, as well as quickly cut through this inventory to find the best deal for you. Doing this well involves understanding the tradeoffs between different listings for something you are shopping for."

Message 6 of 51
latest reply

New Enhanced eBay Search

Ha - what a bunch of weasel-speak that is!

But as long as you're fixin the search, eBay, go ahead and make that geographical refinement actually work, k thanks.

Stop showing me SEA junk that I'm never going to buy and it squeez me off to have to wade through that ewok.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 7 of 51
latest reply

New Enhanced eBay Search

I hope ebay knows what I am looking for better then what their best match displays.  Because it is not even close.

Message 8 of 51
latest reply

New Enhanced eBay Search

@pikabo-icu wrote:

I totally agree, if ebay doesn't want to overwhelm buyers they should start with showing them what they're actually LOOKING for. What overwhelms buyers is page after page of Chinese junk, reproductions, and knockoffs, and the many items unrelated to what the buyer is typing into search.

Good Lord, these ebay execs are hard headed, they still think buyers want ebay to control what they see. The problem is and has been ebay pushing items that EBAY wants them to see, rather than the items buyer wants to see.

Whenever a seller finds the key to success, ebay changes the lock>wah photo 0767_zpsx6rpcmh5.png
Message 9 of 51
latest reply

New Enhanced eBay Search

What overwhelms buyers is page after page of Chinese junk, reproductions, and knockoffs,

What overwhelms this buyer is items not placed in their proper categories.  I am so sick of seeing the same sellers month after month listing CZs in the diamond categories, repros in the antique/vintage categories, and junk jewelry in the fine, gold, and sterling silver categories.

Message 10 of 51
latest reply

New Enhanced eBay Search

@shawk2011 wrote:

@pikabo-icu wrote:

I totally agree, if ebay doesn't want to overwhelm buyers they should start with showing them what they're actually LOOKING for. What overwhelms buyers is page after page of Chinese junk, reproductions, and knockoffs, and the many items unrelated to what the buyer is typing into search.

Good Lord, these ebay execs are hard headed, they still think buyers want ebay to control what they see. The problem is and has been ebay pushing items that EBAY wants them to see, rather than the items buyer wants to see.

A good start would be for them to default 'US ONLY' on every search on the .com site.

Message 11 of 51
latest reply

New Enhanced eBay Search

2016 spring small seller purge is well underway....

Message 12 of 51
latest reply

New Enhanced eBay Search

Oh no no no like avgn nerd says " what they are thinking"
One sale a day, tomorrow the entire Galaxy!
Message 13 of 51
latest reply

New Enhanced eBay Search

IF you are lucky enough  to have *A* buyer guided to your listing, Then they are shown similiar items ,cheaper.  So how are you supposed to get a sale.

As a long time buyer on here, i cant find what i am looking for anymore, so this new system is not working.

Message 14 of 51
latest reply

New Enhanced eBay Search

Just for ONCE, why can't these lemmings ever ask us eBay users what WE want?  It's just that simple!  Do you really need a table full of overpaid executives and non users to tell you that?! 

We've been posting about meaningful changes we would like for months, years even.  They must never read Ina's well written columns, let alone the comments that follow.

And it's pretty obvious they never stick their noses in here. 

Message 15 of 51
latest reply