cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Negative Feedback Question..anyone help?

Hey guys, I'm sure you've heard it all with regards to feedbacks but I hope you can hang in there with my inquiry..if a seller sells an item, 15 minutes after posting it, but due to the fast paced nature of the sale (and NO i am not excusing the seller  so bear with me before responding to the obvious by saying its the sellers fault)..so anyway seller discovers the item is out of stock or not available..basically he relisted an item he thought he still had. Seller promptly refunds payment, profusely apologizes, cancels transactions, and YES I realize buyer could still leave feedback but at the heart of my inquiry is can seller contact ebay in the hopes of removing this particular negative?

much obliged

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

The only way a CS rep will agree to remove a negative under these circumstances is if the content of the comment violates ebay policy. For instance, profanity, political, revealing privacy information like sellers name or address, mentioning eBay cases or investigations, or other violations as mentioned in the policy.

Any other reason would be a slim to no chance. I’d say if it matters to you that much, you might have a better chance to get the buyer to revise the feedback themselves.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Oh you are likely to mostly get it is all the seller's fault on that one.  And the reality of it is that it is their responsibility to know what they have in stock and/or available.

Now for me, I can see both sides of the situation you described.  Especially if your seller is a drop shipper.  You will find very little love for drop shippers on the threads.  Some from those that have drop shipped but don't do it in a way that is in the best interest of buyers and sellers alike.  Drop shipping if done correctly is hard work.  Making sure the inventory you offer for sale is inventory that is available for sale.  That is important that a seller stays on top of that.

However because we are mere humans, mistakes happen.  But they should be the rare case, not something that happens all the time.  

So it can be a difficult call, what you describe.  My advice to you is go with your gut.  Take a look at the seller's FB, if they have some history doing this, then they are not acting as a responsible seller.  But if it doesn't appear that this is something they do often, you may just want to skip leaving FB.

Good luck with your decision.  I know it can be a difficult one sometimes.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Hi, want to make sure i am following your meaning, just need a little clarification. You are the buyer, correct? And your question is “can a seller get a negative removed for a complaint about a seller-initiated transaction cancellation?” . But you have not left the feedback yet. Is this the situation so far?

eBay considers the seller’s actions you describe as the most grievous of errors, and comes down hard on sellers who cancel a transaction for out of stock. They will issue a defect against his account. Too many defects can get a seller shut down.

So in general, like another poster said, if the feedback left by a buyer doesn't violate any eBay policy, it is unlikely a seller could get an out of stock complaint removed from feedback. 

I am curious, why you are worried about a removal?

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

If you want to change your feedback, have your seller send a feedback revision form.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

but at the heart of my inquiry is can seller contact ebay in the hopes of removing this particular negative?

----------------------------------------------------------

Yes.

Any seller can do that whether the negs are justified or not.

Some negs get removed, and some don't.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Actually, depending on the seller's previous performance in regard to his eBay sales, eBay may possibly remove it automatically.  If the seller has a great reputation, rarely gets a complaint or a negative or even neutral feedback, eBay will protect him and remove the feedback.  This is a part of the newest policy changes implemented by eBay last fall. 

If the sellers did everything right other than being out of stock, and now that you know that eBay will punish him with a very strong defect for his error, why would you want to pile on a negative on top of all that? 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 7 of 7
latest reply