cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with eBay Collections - account was hacked - nobody can seem to resolve

I have been trying for two months to get this resolved. Below is the timeline.

May 8th: I received an email: Enterprise account opened ($2995 per month) + qty 2x $250 "fixed price listing allowance" immediately charged to my credit card on file ($500). I did not open this account. It would not make sense for me to open this.

• I canceled the Enterprise account right away, but you cannot “cancel” it. It can only close at the end of the month. Terms state you will be charged for the entire month.
  • I called eBay and explained the situation. They said they would refund the $500 and make sure I am not charged for the enterprise account.

May 13th: Called to check on status of refund and was told it would still happen. Got confirmation via email and voice that I would not be charged for the Enterprise store.

May 15th: order was placed using another payment option that was added. The order would not cancel. It was from a strangely named seller that later closed the account.

Very odd because the seller even left feedback and provided a tracking number that showed the item was delivered the day before it was sent. This does not make sense. Removed new payment method. I changed password and enabled 2factor/text login. Convinced this has all been fraudulent activity.

Jun 4th: I get an email saying funds ($2,322.54) will be deducted from my checking account for the period May 8th-31st because of the Enterprise store.

I was on the phone for an hour with no resolution, told it was submitted as a high priority ticket to (again) refund the $500 charge and waive the $2,322.54 charge. Given another case id.

June 7th: Received notice via email that funds were being removed from my checking account. Immediately called. Asked for supervisor immediately. Again explained the entire situation. I was told once again a request was being entered to refund the $500 and the subscription charge. Got a new type of request number that doesn’t match the others.I was also told at this point that it would take 1.5 weeks minimum to resolve the situation.

Closed checking account so funds could not be withdrawn. Several attempts at withdrawing the money have failed.

June 29th: I received an email from eBay Collections that they will continue trying to collect.

I have no ability to talk to anyone that can actually resolve this. They can only enter tickets and give me reference numbers.

I do not want this sent to a collection agency and for it to impact my credit score.

Any suggestions are welcome...

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Need help with eBay Collections - account was hacked - nobody can seem to resolve

@zturboz  I'm so sorry this has happened to you.

It's not the first time I've heard of users getting stuck with store and selling fees after an account has been compromised and unfortunately, I'm sure it won't be the last. 😒

My suggestion would be to file cases with the Better Business Bureau, your state Attorney General's office and the FTC - eBay clearly needs some motivation to figure out how to do the right thing and handle these situations appropriately.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 8 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: Need help with eBay Collections - account was hacked - nobody can seem to resolve

Try contacting eBay through Facebook  eBay Business send them a private message.

I've been reading in the boards that they are more helpful there than CS. 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Trying that now...

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Call the number on the back of your credit card and report the charge you did not make.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Hi, I challenged the $500 charge and my credit card company accepted eBay's response and would not dispute the charge. The other more urgent issue is I have a -$1800 balance on my eBay account that I need wiped before it gets sent to a collection agency and impacts my credit score. I need to resolve that and then I can go back to the $500.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Get help with a hacked account | eBay

If someone has used your eBay account without your permission, you should contact your credit card company and your bank. You may also want to file a police report.

You need to file a police report to protect yourself.  If you get harassed, take names, phone numbers and give them to the police.   I would also close my credit card, and have them issue a new one.

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

I thought I would add, check all devices you use online for keyloggers.  Sounds like you may have one. 

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@zturboz  I'm so sorry this has happened to you.

It's not the first time I've heard of users getting stuck with store and selling fees after an account has been compromised and unfortunately, I'm sure it won't be the last. 😒

My suggestion would be to file cases with the Better Business Bureau, your state Attorney General's office and the FTC - eBay clearly needs some motivation to figure out how to do the right thing and handle these situations appropriately.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

I hope the first thing you did was change your eBay password (and associated email account passwords). I hope the 2nd thing you did was review every detail of your eBay account including subscriptions, mailing addresses, email address, PayPal and banking information, Items listed and sold etc. for anything suspicious. eBay monitors IP addresses of user. If the hacker was not using a VPN, eBay will know where a hacker was located. eBay can identify the house you (or the hacker) are in and other identifying details by your IP address (may require a subpoena of your service provider for detailed information). If the hacker uses public Wi-Fi or a VPN, detailed information on the hacker will not be available. Whether eBay will cooperate in identifying your hacker is another question.

Hopefully advice from others (such as contacting eBay through Facebook) will lead to resolving the mess created by the hacker.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@ebooksdiva wrote:

Try contacting eBay through Facebook  eBay Business send them a private message.

I've been reading in the boards that they are more helpful there than CS. 

Yes, when it is this complicated you need Zuckerburg  or it may never be fixed

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Hello - submitting to BBB was the solution. It took about 7 days, but I was called by a human being specifically assigned to handle BBB complaints (or so he said). He explained he listed to all of my phone calls, reviewed all of my chat transcripts, and spent about 5 hours researching the issue and ultimately issued my refund and apologized for how difficult it was to resolve my situation. It was unfortunate that it took this much effort.

Thank you @valueaddedresource for providing the solution.

To others, yes, I immediately changed my password and enabled 2factor login.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@zturboz wrote:

Hello - submitting to BBB was the solution. It took about 7 days, but I was called by a human being specifically assigned to handle BBB complaints (or so he said). He explained he listed to all of my phone calls, reviewed all of my chat transcripts, and spent about 5 hours researching the issue and ultimately issued my refund and apologized for how difficult it was to resolve my situation. It was unfortunate that it took this much effort.

Thank you @valueaddedresource for providing the solution.

To others, yes, I immediately changed my password and enabled 2factor login.

@zturboz so glad to hear the story had a happy ending, though I agree it's unfortunate it takes so much effort and public pressure just to get eBay to do the right thing.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply