cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with a listing formatting problem

I had to retire my Dell/Vista desktop computer with Microsoft word to an HP/ Windows 10 laptop with Open office writer. Still using Chrome browser.

The line spacing seems “off” (double spaced?) in the description, the template TOS details are correctly spaced.

I maybe fretting over nothing but I would like the listing to look consistant.

Example 185141781101

standardstandardHTMLHTML

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@magsmg101 ,

You should not try to write your descriptions in MS Word (or any of the equivalent wannabe's) and then paste it into the eBay description editor.

When you do that, it copies pages and pages of useless, redundant HTML code from MS Word that will mess up your description.

Because you are using Chrome, there's an easy way to avoid this. Don't waste any time formatting the description in MS Word/Open Office. Just type it, then copy it.

Go to the description editor in Chrome, and right click on the description box. Choose "Paste as plain text" from the drop-down list (a bit below half way down the list). This will paste only your words, without any HTML formatting at all. From there, format your description in the description box, so that it looks the way you want it to look. This way, you won't have any line spacing issues, or any redundant HTML formatting that you have to fight with.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

@magsmg101 ,

You should not try to write your descriptions in MS Word (or any of the equivalent wannabe's) and then paste it into the eBay description editor.

When you do that, it copies pages and pages of useless, redundant HTML code from MS Word that will mess up your description.

Because you are using Chrome, there's an easy way to avoid this. Don't waste any time formatting the description in MS Word/Open Office. Just type it, then copy it.

Go to the description editor in Chrome, and right click on the description box. Choose "Paste as plain text" from the drop-down list (a bit below half way down the list). This will paste only your words, without any HTML formatting at all. From there, format your description in the description box, so that it looks the way you want it to look. This way, you won't have any line spacing issues, or any redundant HTML formatting that you have to fight with.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thank you, that plain text thing worked.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

OK so it seems that will work with a new listing, but not on a revise listing. 

I can live with that.

Thanks 🤗

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

I tried the solution you gave, paste as plain text, and formatting still not working. When I paste the text it is clearly just plain at that point but when i try to use the basic formatting toolbar provided by ebay I am not having luck with the font size. I change it from 14 to 18 - no difference. This is just one example of the MANY issues with ebay listing description formatting. Oh lord. SMH.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply