cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need expert seller advice on how to handle sale

What would you do?

1.  0 feedback buyer from Hong Kong buys $168 purse.

2.  Buyers sends message to cancel, they changed their mind.

3.  I cancel, and send message that they need to agree. 

4.  Buyer denies cancel and says to send it asap.

5.  Buyer proceeds to send 9 more messages saying - what's up, send it now, can you give me an ok, are you going to send it, what's going on, what's up now.....

Sigh.  It is going through the GSP program so I am only shipping it to Kentucky.  I do not want to be out $168 plus the priority mailing shipping.  Would you send it? 

Message 1 of 55
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

You're actually in a good position.

Especially International through GSP.

We are assuming this buyer is going to want to return the item.

That's assuming the buyer wishes to return the item after they received it and find something wrong.

Don't fight the buyer if this turns out to be the case.

Should the buyer contact you with any issues after they receive the item simply state "please return item for a full refund."

The important things:

International sales do not behave the same as Continental sales.

Specifically ebay can not force the seller to pay return shipping.

So if the buyer has a problem with the item, this sale processed under a 30-day returns policy.

- This means in case of a return buyer pays shipping except INAD/Defective in which case seller pays.

Long story short...:

Personally if the buyer were to open a return I would ACCEPT (or APPROVE) the return.

I believe that would be all that is needed to be done from the seller's end.

Due to:

The MBG will not force a refund on a returns approved sale.

Specifically the refund hinges on the fact the return shipping's tracking states the item has been delivered back to the seller (and yes the GSP confuses this further but that works in the seller's favor).

And ebay won't force the seller to pay the shipping because it's an international sale.

In short the buyer can not return the item to the seller because the returns system hangs because of a return address inconsistency one, and two being an international sale ebay does NOT issue a label on return approval (instead leaving it up to the seller to issue said label, somehow this rarely happens).

Usually the system (and thus the return) just sits there until it times out...

Again we're getting ahead of ourselves, the buyer may not even try and return it.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 10 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

No.
Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 2 of 55
latest reply

I love your response, short and sweet.  I just don't know if I can cancel the sale since one has already been sent in and denied.  I am calling eBay but it is an hour wait....

Message 3 of 55
latest reply

The first thing is that I would never have listed an item worth over $100 without having that much recent selling feedback to ward off scammer with.

What I would do is to call ebay - get a  CS in the US dispute dept, and point them to the fact that the buyer asked to cancel and you did so.  That the buyer should have made sure before they changed their mind and then changed it back.  I doubt that it will do any good since ebay is so buyercentric.  But you might have a chance if you chose buyer requested on the cancel.

I would bet that the buyer bid/made offers on several purses and one came in under what they were going to pay you - hence the mind change.  Then something happened and yours was the best price and so they deny and are now all over you to ship their bargain.

Now to be honest, I have never had problems with Hong Kong buyers, but I don't list high dollar items on ebay.  Since you are shipping thru GSP, that affords sellers some protections that they wouldn't normally get shipping Internationally on their own.

I'd just ship it and let what happens about the transaction in the next month guide what you do on ebay in the future.

(*Bleep*)
Message 4 of 55
latest reply

@km181177 wrote:

I love your response, short and sweet.  I just don't know if I can cancel the sale since one has already been sent in and denied.  I am calling eBay but it is an hour wait....

How did the buyer deny the cancellation? Can you please post a screenshot showing this (blank out any personal information)?

Also, how did you refund their payment when you cancelled? Through the eBay cancellation process (which goes through PayPal)?

The reason I'm asking is because, the last thing I knew, it wasn't possible for a buyer to deny or refuse a cancellation when the seller sent it. The only options the buyer had were something like:

• I have received a refund (which was only there if the payment was not made thorugh PayPal, in which case eBay knows if the payment has been refunded or not) 
  • or the buyer has to wait until the time interval for refunding has passed (10 days)

Unless something has changed, then it isn't possible for a buyer to deny a cancellation.

Message 5 of 55
latest reply

@lacemaker3 wrote:

@km181177 wrote:

How did the buyer deny the cancellation? Can you please post a screenshot showing this (blank out any personal information)?

Also, how did you refund their payment when you cancelled? Through the eBay cancellation process (which goes through PayPal)?

The reason I'm asking is because, the last thing I knew, it wasn't possible for a buyer to deny or refuse a cancellation when the seller sent it. The only options the buyer had were something like:

• I have received a refund (which was only there if the payment was not made thorugh PayPal, in which case eBay knows if the payment has been refunded or not) 
  • or the buyer has to wait until the time interval for refunding has passed (10 days)

Unless something has changed, then it isn't possible for a buyer to deny a cancellation.

I`m pretty sure ebay has changed the cancelation process (unannounced of course). This is the second time in a week I have read that the buyer needed to approve the cancelation. Looks like ebay is giving yet more upperhand to the buyer, but, until it`s announced, or we read more about these instances, it`s pure speculation on my part.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 6 of 55
latest reply

I just got off the phone with eBay....he was actually very nice.  Bottom line, send it and take the risk or cancel and get bad feedback.  Those are my two options.

In answer to the question about how the buyer cancelled...The buyer sent me a message saying they wanted to cancel because they changed their mind.  I initiated the cancel per their request.  No money was refunded at that point because the cancel had to be approved by the buyer.  Because the buyer denied the cancellation request I initiated so the sale still stands. 

What I don't like is if I cancel the sale they can give me bad feedback. 

Message 7 of 55
latest reply

@km181177 wrote:

I just got off the phone with eBay....he was actually very nice.  Bottom line, send it and take the risk or cancel and get bad feedback.  Those are my two options.

In answer to the question about how the buyer cancelled...The buyer sent me a message saying they wanted to cancel because they changed their mind.  I initiated the cancel per their request.  No money was refunded at that point because the cancel had to be approved by the buyer.  Because the buyer denied the cancellation request I initiated so the sale still stands. 

What I don't like is if I cancel the sale they can give me bad feedback. 

If it were me I`d prefer the bad feedback and even the defect(if you can afford it) for canceling over losing A) the item B) the money or C) both. It`s always been my experience that if a transaction starts out bad it`s always ended worse. What are the ramifications if this indecisive buyer claims SNAD once they get the item?

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 8 of 55
latest reply

@hillbillymedia wrote:

@lacemaker3 wrote:

@km181177 wrote:

I`m pretty sure ebay has changed the cancelation process (unannounced of course). This is the second time in a week I have read that the buyer needed to approve the cancelation. Looks like ebay is giving yet more upperhand to the buyer, but, until it`s announced, or we read more about these instances, it`s pure speculation on my part.

Just speculation on my part as well, but this could be in response to those who choose buyer requested as the cancellation reason to avoid a defect when the buyer never requested it at all.  There have been threads on the Buying Board by irate buyers about this.

Message 9 of 55
latest reply

That's assuming the buyer wishes to return the item after they received it and find something wrong.

Should the buyer contact you with any issues after they receive the item simply state "please return item for a full refund."

The important things:

So if the buyer has a problem with the item, this sale processed under a 30-day returns policy.

- This means in case of a return buyer pays shipping except INAD/Defective in which case seller pays.

Long story short...:

Personally if the buyer were to open a return I would ACCEPT (or APPROVE) the return.

Due to:

Specifically the refund hinges on the fact the return shipping's tracking states the item has been delivered back to the seller (and yes the GSP confuses this further but that works in the seller's favor).

And ebay won't force the seller to pay the shipping because it's an international sale.

In short the buyer can not return the item to the seller because the returns system hangs because of a return address inconsistency one, and two being an international sale ebay does NOT issue a label on return approval (instead leaving it up to the seller to issue said label, somehow this rarely happens).

Again we're getting ahead of ourselves, the buyer may not even try and return it.

Message 10 of 55
latest reply

@hillbillymedia wrote:

@lacemaker3 wrote:

@km181177 wrote:

I think in typical eBay fashion, they have either neglected to change the wording or they are being intentionally misleading because they do tell the seller why they’ve asked the buyer to confirm the cancellation or something like that. On the sellers end the seller is told that they are waiting for the buyers response.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 11 of 55
latest reply

@km181177 Don’t ship the item! Didn’t you cancel the transaction? Even if the buyer denied it, the transaction has been cancelled! And the buyer was refunded when you cancelled right? A buyer denying a cancellation, even if that is possible, doesn’t stop the process. In the past it just meant you got stuck paying the FVFs.!! I would not ship this yet. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 12 of 55
latest reply

@sidemouse wrote:

The important things:

Long story short...:

Due to:

WRONG.  With GSP the SELLER is responsible for supplying the buyer with a label or the funds to purchase a label.  If they do not the buyer keeps the item and the money when the return times out.    MBG will ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS force a refund unless the seller can PROVE they sent a label or funds for a label.  Good luck with that CS phone call....

I refuse to use the GSP process or sell internationally because the return shipping (on what I sell) is prohibitively expensive.  However, if the buyer uses a (non-GSP) reshipper I will happily ship the item as I'm only responsible to get it to the reshipper.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 13 of 55
latest reply

In reading the sequence of events here, it seems to me that everything went by the book until the buyer finally attempted to un-cancel the cancel. That ain't happening. They requested to cancel, you cancelled, that's it. I don't think the "confirmation" of the cancel (which they seem to be denying now) could override their original request in writing... could it?

In other words, they could confirm their original cancel request, or maybe deny that they ever made it (which could be disproven since you still have their original message), but they don't get to flip-flop and demand that it be sent after all, do they?

Message 14 of 55
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

@sidemouse wrote:

The important things:

Long story short...:

Due to:

WRONG.  With GSP the SELLER is responsible for supplying the buyer with a label or the funds to purchase a label.  If they do not the buyer keeps the item and the money when the return times out.    MBG will ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS force a refund unless the seller can PROVE they sent a label or funds for a label.  Good luck with that CS phone call....

@dtexley3 is correct on this. With international transactions, even with GSP, the seller is still required to pay for the return shipping even though they can't (and eBay can't) provide a prepaid return shipping label.

I have first-hand experience with this as the buyer, so I can confirm this.

Message 15 of 55
latest reply