cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need Photo Lighting Tips

It's that time of year again.  Little natural lighting to be found here for the next 5 months.  Set up my Limostudio light set and took a couple of photos.  Any simple fixes to get rid of the line showing in the background (used 2 pieces stryofoam)  Also, because the back piece is vertical - it shows more grey lighting than the flat horiz piece.

Also noticed (in the candle photo) bleed over light on both sides.  Any simple white board fix I might be able to construct to cut down on excess side light?  I'd hate to have to shift or move these booms to suit each items needs (the tripod legs on the stands are pretty flimsy).     Thanks:)

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Need Photo Lighting Tips

Use one of those foam sheets that you can bend rather than have straight up and down with the intersection line.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Need Photo Lighting Tips

Hi looking... thanks for the tip.  I noticed you've got the same problem on your white background listings. I have a new white vinyl  window shade I could cut and tape to the back wall that will eliminate the line  but... looks like still, anything running vertical for background instead of horizontal is just going to be a darker shade of white?

Are you using black fabric for your backgrounds on your China pieces or some kind of bendable board? Thanks!

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Need Photo Lighting Tips

White bedsheet and clothespins.

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Need Photo Lighting Tips

There should be any number of youtube videos on taking pictures.

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Need Photo Lighting Tips

@stonevintage

Another option is to take a block of foam, wrap a piece of small diamiter pvc pipe, with sand paper.

Sand one of the corners of a square block of foam, to create a radius.

Then glue it to the back of the box, that should fix the corner problem.

For the light bleed over, try putting some neutral matte grey paper, on the sides of your light box.

( I don't remember what percent it's called, I will look it up later. )

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

Need Photo Lighting Tips

I use a sheet of plotter paper. I have a big roll. Tear off a new sheet when needed.

When photographing glass it's an old trick to shine your lights on the background and the picture will be of the light coming thru the glass. No flares.

If you have a dark back ground but it photgraphs too light. Move your object as far forward as possible to make the background farther away, thus darker.

Your second item lacks contrast. Make sure your lights aren't casting ligtht on your lens, use your hands, or hand. Or try contrast adjustment in your photo editor. My local library has two computers with Adobe Photoshop elements. Check on yours.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

Need Photo Lighting Tips

Hi Sock  Sorry, I may have explained the setup wrong. There is no light box.  Here's what I have... these are lights on stands with diffuser panels that velcro on.  They're each about 2 feet square.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Need Photo Lighting Tips

John, thanks:)  Very helpful tips.  I'll mess around with both those ideas and see what I get.  That's what I was looking for though... never would have thought about shielding the camera lens from sidelight or getting light off the background.  This will be fun:) I'm thinking a toilet paper tube....lol.   And, it sounds like those two adjustments will (once I get the lights right) let me keep them there for all items.     I tend to use all 12 images when I list.  Have been for years adjusting thru photo editor but for 40 items, that's adjusting 480 photos.  I'd love to get it right externally and not have to adjust anymore.  Way too time consuming to adjust each one.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Need Photo Lighting Tips

stonevintage

That looks like a nice setup.

I'd attach the top of the background to the wall and have the material arc down to the item. Won't show a seam. I've used a big peice of cardboard under my plotter paper. The paper's attached to the cardboard. The cardboards just leaning against the wall...no marks. If you use a Priority Mail box under one sheet of paper the color WILL show thru.

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

Need Photo Lighting Tips

Good idea.  lol,  how about a couple of Michelob 12 pack boxes opened so the light grey sides are facing the back of the white background.  I can open those (have a few beers), tape together, form the bend over a foam pool tube overnight and they should be good to go:)  I also have a huge roll of unused paper (from the local newspaper) also a big roll of heavy neutral color wallpaper  I'll give a try.   

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Need Photo Lighting Tips

Your photos have really great color & clarity! 

I saw someone say a bedsheet, and that is my vote.  If you fold a white queen sheet in 1/2 it makes it darker (not so transparent) and find a way to attach it higher up on the door behind (double sided velcro maybe?).  Then drape the sheet down into the photo area.  It would eliminate your line problem, and create a 'softness' to the background.  The other thing you could try, that is a bit sturdier than a white sheet is fleece.  I bought some white & black fleece one time and that worked great for backgrounds.

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

Need Photo Lighting Tips

swenson thanks!  I do have that on the list to try tomorrow.  I have a white cotton shower curtain that I used for a flat wall backdrop for clothing out in the shop. All the wrinkles are out and I'll give that (doubled over) a try.  "Soft background" has an appeal.  Lol, I have a white real sheepskin rug 5'x8' out in the shop that might look very cushy too... and a commercial clear glass display cube pedestal. I could just drape that over some pegboard and it would be easy to create a gentle bend in the hide.  

Great suggestions and you're giving me more ideas about what I have on hand.   Thanks all:)

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

Need Photo Lighting Tips

Here is a link to eBay photography from eBay Camerajim. Old site about 10 years old, not up to date on camera reviews but the tips and tricks for taking photos are still valid.

http://www.sigma-2.com/camerajim/index.htm

This page about lighting is showing using a curved poster board for a seamless picture.

http://www.sigma-2.com/camerajim/cjglighting.htm

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

Need Photo Lighting Tips

pocomo - Thats what I was looking for yesterday before I posted and couldn't find it. I read it several years ago.  Thank you for the links:)  I met with a retired artist/photographer yesterday afternoon and asked him about some of the suggestions mentioned here and he was able to explain to me in more detail. 

His bottom line was "just try it" and make notes on the successful ones with a sample photo.  Going to have some fun today!

Message 15 of 16
latest reply