cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NEW!!! Dynamic AD RATE strategy for Promoted Listings

Nope, nothing new here, just the changing of some terminology as we redefine the meaning of some words. I don't think eBay understands that one minor change can cause confusion and panic throughout millions of users. At this point, they need a daily newspaper to keep up with what they change. Millions of non-daily eBay users will be lost when revisiting this site. 

Message 1 of 30
latest reply
29 REPLIES 29

Have to make those quarterly earnings somehow, if sales are down increase earnings on fees.

Message 2 of 30
latest reply

@the-hook-and-the-loop  Could you provide a link?

Message 3 of 30
latest reply

Visit your active campaigns or campaign dashboardScreenShot Tool -20230315141150.png

Message 4 of 30
latest reply

@the-hook-and-the-loop  Thanks.

I agree....I think the "Dynamic" strategy has been available for quite a while now in PLS, looks like the main change is that they are now identifying the strategy as "fixed" or "Dynamic"...neither of which is an actually new strategy. Maybe they've made it a little easier to setup the dynamic strategy, I haven't looked.  But ,as I've been saying for years, ebay seems to be incapable of communicating with sellers in a simple, straightforward manner....and so we constantly end up with stuff like this, where many people have no idea what ebay is talking about. 

But here's what they say, if you dig far enough to find it:

"Update your ad rate strategy

You can choose between two ad rate strategies: dynamic or fixed. The dynamic ad rate automatically adjusts your ad rate to match eBay's daily suggestions. The fixed ad rate lets you manually select an ad rate that will not change unless edited.

New! Dynamic ad rate

Keeping your ad campaign competitive in an ever-changing marketplace can be time-consuming and manual. The dynamic ad rate strategy offers an effortless way to secure high visibility placements by automatically adjusting your ad rates to match eBay’s daily suggestions."

Not surprisingly, it seems they are going to push the dynamic strategy, which, supposedly will have a better sales velocity than the flat strategy.

Message 5 of 30
latest reply

Absolutely nothing has changed other than yesterday it was called "automated" and today it's called "dynamic". I'm sure I will start seeing "SOLD VIA DYNAMIC LISTING" on every sale now.

Message 6 of 30
latest reply

OK, within the Create a campaign, they've changes the names there too:

mycottagebooksandantiques_0-1678905582766.png

But that's really all it is---a name change. If they had been clear about that when this was first mentioned, it would have saved sellers a lot of speculation and anxiety. (it was mentioned in the same blog post as the March 30th changes, but with no clear explanation....people have been guessing ever since)

Message 7 of 30
latest reply

Maybe they picked up the term DYNAMIC from Ticket-Astardbay, who has used dynamic pricing to drive the prices of concert tickets out of the reach of most people, based on demand (rather than seat availability), but yeah, I always remember it as being 'automated', which is useful in some situations.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 8 of 30
latest reply

I think maybe someone finally realized that you could set up an automated campaign in the automated campaign AND in the simple campaign...which was, in itself, kind of confusing. So, now, you can have a dynamic (the strategy formerly knowns as automated) strategy in a simple and in an automated campaign.

I suspect there's actually more to this, and the name change is just a preliminary step in some other change they are going to make.

Remember, they promised the stock analysts that they would increase the PL revenue by a hefty amount pretty quickly, and I think recent changes and the recent PLA incentive mr.lincoln mentioned, all point to ebay grabbing at straws to keep that promise. 

If all these changes actually increase sales velocity and GMV, great....but if this is just about increasing ad revenue....not so great.

Message 9 of 30
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

I think maybe someone finally realized that you could set up an automated campaign in the automated campaign AND in the simple campaign...which was, in itself, kind of confusing. So, now, you can have a dynamic (the strategy formerly knowns as automated) strategy in a simple and in an automated campaign.

I suspect there's actually more to this, and the name change is just a preliminary step in some other change they are going to make.

Remember, they promised the stock analysts that they would increase the PL revenue by a hefty amount pretty quickly, and I think recent changes and the recent PLA incentive mr.lincoln mentioned, all point to ebay grabbing at straws to keep that promise. 

If all these changes actually increase sales velocity and GMV, great....but if this is just about increasing ad revenue....not so great.

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques yep, I expect we'll be getting dynamic bidding for Promoted Listings Advanced too.

Amazon cost per click ads have a similar option. For sponsored product ads on Amazon you can do:

Fixed Bids - Uses your exact bid and any placement adjustments you set, and is not subject to dynamic bidding.

Dynamic bidding (up and down) - Increases or decreases your bids in real time by a maximum of 100%. With this setting bids increase when your ad is more likely to convert to a sale, and bids decrease when less likely to convert to a sale.

Dynamic bidding (down only) - Lowers your bids in real time when your ad may be less likely to convert to a sale. Campaigns created before the release of the bidding controls feature used this setting by default.

My guess is we'll see something similar here "coming soon".

Message 10 of 30
latest reply

@valueaddedresource  That was my first thought when they mentioned this in the blog post....that it was really about PLA, not PLS. So, we'll have to wait and see how this impacts PLA. (But, since I don't use PLA, I admit, I'm personally not too concerned.

But the impact on PLS---so far---is really nothing but a name change. 

Maybe they'll provide some sort of temporary financial inventive to use the dynamic strategy in PLS?

(Yeah, I know....I'm probably dreaming...)

Message 11 of 30
latest reply

And today's special Dynamic rate is 14%, would you like some whine with that? I got nausea from today's special.ScreenShot Tool -20230315183435.png

Message 12 of 30
latest reply

@the-hook-and-the-loop   And that is one reason I'm finally trying to learn how to drive traffic to my ebay listings from social media. Most of my stuff has great margins, but 14% on top of 12 plus percent, and all calculated on the total price, not the item price? Margins can shrink pretty dynamically when using Dynamic strategy LOL

Message 13 of 30
latest reply

@the-hook-and-the-loop wrote:

Absolutely nothing has changed other than yesterday it was called "automated" and today it's called "dynamic". I'm sure I will start seeing "SOLD VIA DYNAMIC LISTING" on every sale now.

From recent posts here it would seem that a number of sellers used the "automated" system without understanding what it means. renaming it MIGHT help those sellers to understand what they are choosing (I actually doubt that anything less than a a "pop-up slap in the face" will get them to pay attention and understand the difference).

Message 14 of 30
latest reply

My guess is ebay made the change because it was not easy to distinguish between the two "strategies", because the word 'automated" was being used by ebay both for the type ot campaign (simple or automated) and the type of strategy (flat and automated). So, now, ebay can show you how well one strategy performs compared to the other, and can market one as opposed to the other. And, as I've said before, this could be a first step, with ebay adding more changes now that they've clearly named the two strategies.

As usual, it's wait and see time.

Message 15 of 30
latest reply