cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Friendly Checker

Does anyone know if the mobile-friendly checker has been updated?  Or is it glitchy again?

I just created a new listing and the meta tag (or whatever it is called) that usually needs to be added when I click on the mobile-friendly checker is no longer an option to add.  So, I do not know if that tag is missing from this listing or it was automatically added.

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Mobile Friendly Checker

@mcdougle4248 

I looked at your most recent listing, assuming that is the one used for your screenshot.

https://ebay.com/itm/192949665613

It does not contain any "mobile friendly" meta tags. eBay did not add them. Instead, eBay correctly determined that your listing does not need them because you do not have any embedded photos or complex HTML.

Most of the new listings that sellers create without listing tools will not need the "mobile friendly" tags. 

On the other hand, embedded photos down in the description will still require the image style tag somewhere in the description. 

<style>img {max-width:100%;}</style>

The "mobile friendly" viewport meta tag, would be added to a custom design only AFTER the seller has added all the code necessary to create a flexible page design.

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">

The viewport meta tag does not make a page mobile friendly.  The viewport meta tag is only an advisory to the browser, telling the browser the page has already been made flexible, so don't try to shrink the page.

A plain text listing with very simply HTML has no structure that prevents it from flexing or wordwrapping, and has no images that need to be made resizable.  Thus, adding the two tags would be superfluous. They don't really do anything. But they don't hurt either.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Mobile Friendly Checker

@mcdougle4248 

Hey, I would contact @shipscript because I don't understand why you have to even enter the tag every time you list? By now I thought it was automatically there when you list? She is the guru related to this issue. I don't use ebay tools, just my own 3rd party list program where my program geek has modified to include the tag on all items I want to list. No doing anything one by one.  Trust me. lolol. Been there and done that.

I ain't got the brains to make this up (Fantastic Beasts)
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Mobile Friendly Checker

@mcdougle4248 

Sorry think I misread your post...it must be automatic after I just looked at your screenshot. But the ship may be able to confirm. Good Luck.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

Mobile Friendly Checker

Finally got a new listing up today after dealing with a shipping label nightmare and it appears that We No Longer Have to MANUALLY check this. What do you know it only took what 2+ years to fix?

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

Mobile Friendly Checker

@mcdougle4248 

I looked at your most recent listing, assuming that is the one used for your screenshot.

https://ebay.com/itm/192949665613

It does not contain any "mobile friendly" meta tags. eBay did not add them. Instead, eBay correctly determined that your listing does not need them because you do not have any embedded photos or complex HTML.

Most of the new listings that sellers create without listing tools will not need the "mobile friendly" tags. 

On the other hand, embedded photos down in the description will still require the image style tag somewhere in the description. 

<style>img {max-width:100%;}</style>

The "mobile friendly" viewport meta tag, would be added to a custom design only AFTER the seller has added all the code necessary to create a flexible page design.

<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0">

The viewport meta tag does not make a page mobile friendly.  The viewport meta tag is only an advisory to the browser, telling the browser the page has already been made flexible, so don't try to shrink the page.

A plain text listing with very simply HTML has no structure that prevents it from flexing or wordwrapping, and has no images that need to be made resizable.  Thus, adding the two tags would be superfluous. They don't really do anything. But they don't hurt either.

ShipScript has been an eBay Community volunteer since 2003, specializing in HTML, CSS, Scripts, Photos, Active Content, Technical Solutions, and online Seller Tools.
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Mobile Friendly Checker

I think this was added by checking the "fix me" box on a listing I created yesterday.

<font rwr="1" size="4" style="font-family:Arial"><meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0"><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:14.0pt;line-height:107%;font-family:

The listing created this morning does not have <meta name="viewport" content=....

<font rwr="1" size="4" style="font-family:Arial"><p class="MsoNormal"></p><p class="MsoNormal"><span style="font-size:14.0pt;line-height:107%;font-family:

@shipscript  will you please help me?  Thank you in advance.

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Mobile Friendly Checker

@shipscript 

Thank you so much!

Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Mobile Friendly Checker

brian@ebay
eBay Staff (Alumni)

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

Does anyone know if the mobile-friendly checker has been updated?  Or is it glitchy again?

I just created a new listing and the meta tag (or whatever it is called) that usually needs to be added when I click on the mobile-friendly checker is no longer an option to add.  So, I do not know if that tag is missing from this listing or it was automatically added.

Hi @mcdougle4248, this was actually updated today! Ssellers that are not using custom HTML in their descriptions no longer need to add the viewport meta tag to make their listing mobile friendly. Listings viewed through a mobile device will be mobile friendly by default. 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

Mobile Friendly Checker

@ekmadonna 

I looked at several of your newly listed items from the past few days. Some have the tags and some don't. Because of the sprinkling, I will assume some are relists and already had the tags. None of the ones I reviewed needed the tags.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

Mobile Friendly Checker

@shipscript 

Thanks for the clarification, then how come I go to revise my listing just to tweak the narrative description, and considering I look at everything, when I click on the Mobile tracker that iPhone is now blank? What is that? When the data was filled in there it allowed me to do more tweaks if I had to? I think this issue is on another current thread?

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

Mobile Friendly Checker

@shipscript 

Adding to my reply: if I go in to ebay to do a revise, particularly the description and anything else that would affect a mobile device, I need to see that phone image filled in to see if I need to do any other tweaks...it is currently blank...or just because my original listing is mobile friendly, what happens if I revise/change it? 

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

Mobile Friendly Checker

brian@ebay 

Thank you for the clarification.   This a great update!

On a side note, I think this is one of those updates posters often speak of that should be announced somewhere to save sellers time hunting down the answer Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

Mobile Friendly Checker

I knew it had been updated as I saw it in one of my facebook groups. Have to give Ebay credit for finally helping sellers out as I often forgot to click it.

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Mobile Friendly Checker

Well, I liked being able to see how my listings would look on a mobile device. I change fonts and colors, add bold and italics etc. Regardless of whether fixing is "automatic" now it would be nice to see the "phone" pictured with my listing the way it used to. Right now it is worthless because it either shows only a couple tiny words or is completely blank. If it is now a useless outdated feature just remove it completely instead of teasing me and making me think it should work like it used to.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply