cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Media mail

Media mail cannot have advertising per the post office regulations.  I was told by my post office they were going to start cracking down on this.  Do others not know of the regulation, because they are mailing magazines w/ads via media mail.  I can't compete with them, as I don't want the Feds down on me or ebay......heck, they might send the Internal Rev after me next!!!! Joking of course, I do pay my taxes.

Message 1 of 97
latest reply
96 REPLIES 96

Re: Media mail

I've always lived where the post offices check. I've had buyers tell me their packages (Media Mail) had been opened, and the post offices have signs on the counters that say that Media Mail will be checked. I am glad they are cracking down on it, to make it fair for the sellers that do the right thing.

I remember years ago, reading about a woman who sent a Star Wars comforter via Media Mail, because she thought it would include any item that pertained to a movie or TV show. LOL!!

Message 76 of 97
latest reply

@partial*eclipse wrote:

@rolenboy01 wrote:

@buyselljack2016 wrote:
 ... I understand that video game do not qualify, just as blank recording materials do not qualify.....

Video games do qualify if they are in disc format.

No. There was a surprising USPS ruling, several years ago.  No video games, regardless of format.

"In conclusion, video games, whether on CD-ROM, diskettes, or similar software, regardless of form, or playable systems including computers, do not meet the standards for Media Mail."

https://pe.usps.com/text/csr/PS-334.htm

They need to update it then, they don't explicity say it on their main media mail page what is up with that?

Message 77 of 97
latest reply

When using Media Mail I use a marker and clearly indicate on the package what the contents are i.e. record or book.   Never had a problem.

I do, of course follow the rules.

Message 78 of 97
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@readabouthorses wrote:

This was provided a few years ago to all the Post Offices so they would be aware of what can and can't be sent Media Mail without having to plow through all the regulations in the big book.

https://liteblue.usps.gov/news/link/2013/04apr/Media-Mail-Guidelines.htm

This does say that Cookbooks can be sent Media Mail but I guess some of the "advertising" cookbooks cannot.

That is a GREAT Link.  It makes things rather easy!!  thank you.

About 5 months ago, I was shown the memo that said that cookbooks no longer can be shipped Media because the majority of them are advertising.  The clerks know that I sell more than my share of cookbooks and wanted to give me the heads up.

(*Bleep*)
Message 79 of 97
latest reply

I'd like to see that memo.  Some cookboks are partly or even entirely advertising (using a specific commercial product on every page) but others have no advertising at all.  This doesn't seem to warrant a special memo about cookbooks, beyond the text about restricted advertising that already appears in the DMM.

Message 80 of 97
latest reply

@retrose1 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@readabouthorses wrote:

This was provided a few years ago to all the Post Offices so they would be aware of what can and can't be sent Media Mail without having to plow through all the regulations in the big book.

https://liteblue.usps.gov/news/link/2013/04apr/Media-Mail-Guidelines.htm

This does say that Cookbooks can be sent Media Mail but I guess some of the "advertising" cookbooks cannot.

That is a GREAT Link.  It makes things rather easy!!  thank you.

About 5 months ago, I was shown the memo that said that cookbooks no longer can be shipped Media because the majority of them are advertising.  The clerks know that I sell more than my share of cookbooks and wanted to give me the heads up.

I have found over the years that the clerks are not always right.  Since this is an important part of your business or something you sell on a regular basis, I think it deserves a bit more research on your part.

I have had situations where I've had to gather information and take it to the PO to prove what I was doing was correct in the past.   So I'm just saying, you may want to take this a step further.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 81 of 97
latest reply

Nope!! No time limit / cutoff for age etc on the advertising.
Message 82 of 97
latest reply

98% of what I sell are 78 rpm records.  My packages qualify.  USPS can inspect away but PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE re-pack these fragile discs the way I packaged them.  A couple times they didn't and the discs arrived broken.  GRR!! 

I had one local postal clerk ask whatchya shipping?  I said "records..they do qualify for media mail".  "Yes they do" said the newby clerk.  Then he asked "whatchya using for packing material".  "Newspaper" I said.  "This disqualifies this package since the newspaper print will have ads".  "WHAT!!???"  I asked for the supervisor.  She was cool.  Her reply to the newby clerk "really?  Come on no we don't count the packing material as THE item shipped...cool your jets man".  WINNER!!  😄 😄  😄 😄  😄

Message 83 of 97
latest reply

@sandiegolinda

Once again some get away with cheating and some don't. No need to worry about competing with others as there will always be those who cheat and those who don't. Some get caught and some don't, just like speeding. You can call it unfair all you want, and if you choose you can call my post a nit-pick all you want, I'm just telling it like it is.  By the way, it is very little difference in cost since media mail went up, so if your buyers want yours they will still buy it even if not media mail.

Message 84 of 97
latest reply

Media Mail is quite simple:

.......The material sent must be educational media! 

That is not true...are crime novels educational? Or Rap CD's? They are allowed to ship MM.
Message 85 of 97
latest reply

"About 5 months ago, I was shown the memo that said that cookbooks no longer can be shipped Media because the majority of them are advertising.  The clerks know that I sell more than my share of cookbooks and wanted to give me the heads up."

This cannot be so...what about Cooking of Italy? Greece, is this an ad for a country? I collect cookbooks, and the majority of them are by genre, ie Chinese, or style, ie Nouvelle Cuisine...NOT advertising at all.

Yes the old booklets from the 30's thru 50's are ads, can go 1st Class. But to say all cookbooks are not able to be MM...geez.
Message 86 of 97
latest reply

"I'd like to see that memo.  Some cookboks are partly or even entirely advertising (using a specific commercial product on every page) but others have no advertising at all.  This doesn't seem to warrant a special memo about cookbooks, beyond the text about restricted advertising that already appears in the DMM."

This also sounds like 'incidental' ads...like at the back of an Albert Terhune book for others of his books, perfectly acceptable.
Message 87 of 97
latest reply

Good to know.  Something for me to look into, because I don't know anything about this kind of mailing.  I'm still learning.  thanks for some helpful information! Appreciate it 🙂

Message 88 of 97
latest reply

@buyselljack2016 wrote:

nook is on a one person crusade to educate all of eBay, and the USPS. nook has contacted Post Masters to correct their misinterpretation of the DMM guidance when they allow non-educational materials to go as MM. nook will at your request also educate your Post Master, and other employees at your mailing offices.

I recognised the arguments but not the User ID lol

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 89 of 97
latest reply

@moondogblues wrote:
"I'd like to see that memo.  Some cookboks are partly or even entirely advertising (using a specific commercial product on every page) but others have no advertising at all.  This doesn't seem to warrant a special memo about cookbooks, beyond the text about restricted advertising that already appears in the DMM."

This also sounds like 'incidental' ads...like at the back of an Albert Terhune book for others of his books, perfectly acceptable.

I'm pretty sure it didn't exclude ALL cookbooks.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 90 of 97
latest reply