Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looks like we'll be paying more for offsite ads

ScreenShot Tool -20230328010030.png

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

So offsite ads will not be part of promoted listings standard? eBay will need to create a restaurant style menu for me with all of their offerings of how I incur fees. Won't be long until they start charging a penny for every keystroke on their website.

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I believe this is part of the Promoted Listings Advanced (CPC - cost per click) ads eBay has been talking about, it's not the regular PL (standard).  Etsy has had a similar program for some time, only there they force you into it if you gross over 10K a year.

What the regular promoted listings standard is getting is the halo charges, which they tried to spin as some kind of benefit to us but they couldn't really, because there is no benefit above the regular PLS.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

I believe this is part of the Promoted Listings Advanced (CPC - cost per click) ads eBay has been talking about, it's not the regular PL (standard).  Etsy has had a similar program for some time, only there they force you into it if you gross over 10K a year.

What the regular promoted listings standard is getting is the halo charges, which they tried to spin as some kind of benefit to us but they couldn't really, because there is no benefit above the regular PLS.

This is separate. I posted about this a long while back (prob at least 6-12 months by now?) when it showed up on our sellers hub temporarily.

Long story short, you can opt in to paying them to promote 3rd party off of eBay. BUT (at least last that I saw unless they changed anything) if you do this, PLS will NO LONGER promote you on Google/etc with PLS. So it basically makes PLS less valuable if you pay for these 3rd party ads.

And at the time, you had NO CONTROL of how your ads were used - even though Googles statistics are top tier and far better than eBay's. Basically you have to trust giving them your money and hope for the best. 

Found my old post on it: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/We-had-to-start-testing-Promoted-Listing-Advanced-Now-eBay-wan...

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

@zamo-zuan wrote:

@chapeau-noir wrote:

This is separate. I posted about this a long while back (prob at least 6-12 months by now?) when it showed up on our sellers hub temporarily.

Long story short, you can opt in to paying them to promote 3rd party off of eBay. BUT (at least last that I saw unless they changed anything) if you do this, PLS will NO LONGER promote you on Google/etc with PLS. So it basically makes PLS less valuable if you pay for these 3rd party ads.

And at the time, you had NO CONTROL of how your ads were used - even though Googles statistics are top tier and far better than eBay's. Basically you have to trust giving them your money and hope for the best. 

Found my old post on it: https://community.ebay.com/t5/Selling/We-had-to-start-testing-Promoted-Listing-Advanced-Now-eBay-wan...

Yes, that's what I recall. It's not part of the standard promoted listings but part of the advanced PPC, and the way it's similar to Etsy is the lack of control for third party dissemination.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

@zamo-zuan wrote:

@chapeau-noir wrote:

Yes, that's what I recall. It's not part of the standard promoted listings but part of the advanced PPC, and the way it's similar to Etsy is the lack of control for third party dissemination.

@chapeau-noir just to clarify, the Offsite Ads program is a pay per click model, but it's technically a separate ad product from Promoted Listings Advanced with its own separate process for creating campaigns and monitoring performance.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

@valueaddedresource  OK, thanks - I guess I see it as part of the same campaign style (i.e., PPC) but yes, it's a different actual product.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 7 of 13
latest reply

So eBay is pushing out all of these "new" ways to narrow seller's profit margins while enlarging theirs with no communication or clarity. They just silently twist and tweak everything with the site. It's really getting tiresome. I feel my listings should have to be manicured on daily or weekly basis.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

They sent a message out a month ago with information, and that this would be implemented on March 30.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 9 of 13
latest reply

The reason sales are down is because ebay reduced or stopped paying for some google ads. They want their sellers to pay for their google ads via "Offsite Ads" In the past your monthly or yearly store charges and the selling fees paid the google ads.

So you now have to pay for promoted listings or your items may not be seen. Promotions are 10-15% and that keeps going up. So promoted listings plus your selling fees you are pay comes to 20-25% of a sales item. This new Offsite Ads is another money-making idea to squeeze more out of their sellers. They think we are all stupid and can't see through the smoke screen and see the big picture.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

I think you guys have it wrong. eBay was paying for ad placement in Google results if your item matched up for a query. I believe they can't afford to do that anymore and now they are asking us to pay for it. Do you ever recall your ebay listing showing at the top of the google results? Well I do, and it's been quite some time now, maybe up to a year since that has happened. It's nothing new, just eBay getting even more cheap on us.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

yeah, exactly.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Only if you choose to do so. 

Message 13 of 13
latest reply