cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Less Than Impressed

I just started selling a few things on ebay about a month ago, and fortunately, I was able to make a few sales without any hiccups, but after reading ebay's official stance on certain things, I decided it just isn't for me.  I went ahead and ended my remaining listings and I'll go back to selling at other venues regardless of how much exposure I may potentially lose out on.  I strive to be an honest seller that stands behind what I sell, but if dishonest buyers are allowed to run amok, then I can't stick around and keep playing Russian roulette.

What I'm referring to specifically is false SNAD claims.  I have no first hand experience with such an encounter, but like I said, after reading how ebay has handled some of these cases in the past, I don't have enough confidence in them to make a fair decision if I ever did find myself in that position.  I get the impression that ebay sees all sellers as an employee of their big retail store and expects all sellers to bend over backwards for the buyers like a big retail store typically does.  I'm not running a business, but I'll still go with the saying that "that's not my business model".  If a buyer is in the wrong, I'm going to call them out on it and I'd expect ebay to fairly judge the situation and have my back if they also see that the buyer is in the wrong.  If ebay wants to come out of their own poclet to please dishonest buyers, that's their business, but what I'm seeing is that even if a buyer is CLEARLY in the wrong, ebay still will encourage the seller to take the loss and if they refuse to, then the seller will be slapped with infractions (that may or may not be removed depending on how much time a person is willing to waste on the phone).  Not my cup o' tea, sorry.

I understand that the majority of posts on boards like these are usually going to be complaints.  When people have a negative experience they are quick to complain, but you rarely hear of all the positive experinces.  I get that and take things with a grain of salt, but this is the straw that broke the camel's back...

http://community.ebay.com/t5/Shipping-Returns/Well-here-we-go-again-another-SNAD-claim-Is-there-no-e...

I will say that I definitely appreciate the honesty that was displayed there, but find it disheartening that such honest information isn't provided to sellers in a way that it would become common knowledge.  I didn't offer returns (for buyers remorse) on my listings, so that particular scenario would not have applied to me, but I've also seen it mentioned time and time again that ebay's stance on "no returns" isn't quite what they officially make it out to be either, so I put 2 & 2  together and came to the conclusion that I should probably quit while I'm ahead.

Good luck to the rest of you guys and gals and hopefully ebay will eventually get back to their roots, but until then, I'm done with them.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

Less Than Impressed

Good luck to you as well.

Ebay is definitely not for everyone.

For me I know it could also be a matter of time when I am faced with a scam buyer or buyers, which is why I  keep my day job.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Less Than Impressed

@bigchief2472000 wrote:

hopefully ebay will eventually get back to their roots, but until then, I'm done with them.

For me, "their roots" was sending a money order and not getting my item. (and then getting a retaliatory negative if I dared to warn others about the seller). 

That happened at least a dozen times to me back in the day. On the other hand, I can count the SNADs I've had in the last five years on two fingers. 

Message 3 of 3
latest reply