cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LACK OF FREE LISTING PROMOTIONS?

I haven't received any promotional free listings since last December.  Anyone else?  Has Ebay stopped giving them?   I know of other sellers that have gotten them every month so far since the start of  2017.  

Anyone know why we aren't getting them anymore?

Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Re: LACK OF FREE LISTING PROMOTIONS?

No idea whats going on as I haven't received any free listing either (just a Basic Store).  I have to ask if it has anything to do with the quarterly "vouchers" for the ebay shipping materials.  The free listings stopped after I started getting the vouchers.  I'd much rather have the free listings than the shipping materials (most of which don't fit any of my needs)!!!

Message 16 of 33
latest reply

@lew5100 wrote:

I'd much rather have the free listings than the shipping materials (most of which don't fit any of my needs)!!!

I LOVE the free shipping supplies.  Thier smallest size box and padded envelopes have been wonderful!

I would chose the free shipping supplies over free listings.  Listings dont cost nearly what I pay for packing supplies.

Message 17 of 33
latest reply

My sister sells, she had gotten free listings several times.  My mother sells, she gets free listings a lot.  A friend of mine has an ebay account and seldom sells (maybe 4 items in the past year), she gets offers of free listings all the time.  I haven't had any free listings in MONTHS.  I have two accounts, one a store, one not a store.  Neither have had free listings for months.  I'd list more if I had free listings.  Makes no sense.

I called to complain.  They told me that choosing who gets free listings is totally random.  Well, I guess I just am on the losing end all the time.  It's like buying Powerball, I never win.

Message 18 of 33
latest reply

I haven't gotten any for months now and my sales last month were a joke. I ended up losing money because of it. And, I decided long ago if it came down to that I would end the store.  Thinking of just selling my items on buy sell trade on facebook. I loved doing Ebay for years but this last year has been the worse. It just doesn't make sense if they gave more free promotions we might actually sell more and they could be making more money off of the selling fees. Anyway, so done....

Message 19 of 33
latest reply

Totally agree. I have been a seller for 6 years.  Sales were fantastic when I first started my business and the fees were lower as I always took advantage of the free listings promotions.  I miss those promos so much.  My fees the past couple years have skyrocketed and my sales are at their lowest.  I am a top rated seller as well and work hard to maintain that status.  Yes, I am a small seller, but in my opinion Ebay should throw some free promos to sellers who have an excellent track record.  They don't.  

Message 20 of 33
latest reply

no store here, I get free listing offers every month, sometimes twice a month. When I get a big pile of things to list I save them for the promotion. Expecting the end-of-the-month one shortly.

Message 21 of 33
latest reply

First of all - ebay has dramatically cut the number of free listing promos in 2017.   Secondly I think they are timing their promotions to coincide with the end of the quarter or certain events.    I received free listings in June before the end of the quarter and again the frst week of July before Amazon Prime Day.  No promos in April or May. 

While they say that who gets the listings is random - I think they do use algorithms in determining the random pool, and those algorithms can change.     For example I think store owners are now less likely to receive free promos than those without a store, and those  who regularly list 50 items or more per month have a better chance than those that list 20 items, especially those that have a higher number of sales. 

I think what you sell is a factor - with clothing and jewelry saturated categories - those that sell only those items are less likely to get free listings - the bigger the pie the smaller your slice.    Also the average price of your items is probably a factor - someone whose average item price is $15 is more likely to get free listings than those who sell $3 items. 

I don't have any inside information, but I think with ebay now spending advertising dollars - they are going to be more selective in the randomness of their free listing promotions.   If your listings are attracting buyers  without promos - the better chance you'll have of getting promos which will leave some sellers out in the cold.   Keep relisting items that don't sell (especially those with stores and GTC listings), and ebay will shut you out of most promos.  The handwriting has been on the wall.  

Message 22 of 33
latest reply

I do not have a store and have not received a listing promotion since last Dec. also. I really believe if they are going to give them out it should be equal for everyone.I do think that because I continue to list every day anyway that they feel they can skip me because they are getting my money anyway.What good is it to work hard to become a top rated seller if you get less perks and the occasional seller keeps getting the promotions.Would you not think the better customer should get treated better or at least as fairly?

Message 23 of 33
latest reply

what's the river?
Message 24 of 33
latest reply

It is what eBay strives to be (but at the cost of their loyal customers).  But no matter how much they want to be Amazon, all they will ever be is deNile.

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 25 of 33
latest reply

They want you to sign up for store for fee, and for the ones with stores already, they want you to upgrade for more free listing for more store fee. I am about maxed out with what I can spend on store fee with big drop in sales recently. Can't relist any more without paying insertion fee. seems eBay does not care about small sellers like us. Not very profitable but they don't care because desperate sellers will pay and relist. Don't know...
Message 26 of 33
latest reply

Actually I think eBay stop giving free listing promotions for the store subscribers. I haven't got any for a long time. But if you don't already have a store, they are still giving out promotional free listings time to time in smaller numbers. I guess they want you to build up more unsold items that you might feel the need to subscribe to a store to list them. It is not good for sellers but who cares, eBay will make money otherwise. I would not recommend selling on eBay anymore, it is too complicated and I feel trapped because I have spent way too much time on making all these listings that are unsold.

Message 27 of 33
latest reply

You're right! Once you subscribe to store, they stop giving you the additional free listings. They got you! Grrrr.

Message 28 of 33
latest reply

What's the river,you ask?

Well, let's think about the names of some rivers -- there's the Mississippi, and the Nile, and the Rhine, and the AMAZON, and the Missouri, and the Volga, and the. . ..
Message 29 of 33
latest reply

No free listings since June or July. I generally don't list more than the "free fifty", so no big deal. But they were nice while they lasted.
Message 30 of 33
latest reply