cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item Still in Transit: 1 and 1/2 Months. Buyer Growing Impatient, What Next? Thanks!!

Hi There,

I'm hoping someone may have some feedback on the following situation.

I mailed an item via the USPS on June 7th.

The item's last tracking update on June 12th.

Today, on July 18th, an international buyer has advised me

they have yet to receive it.

The tracking number via USPS is:

I've never had this happen before and am currently helping a disabled family

member and am overwhelmed with responsibilites. Because of my state of tiredness,

I'm not sure how to proceed. 

Does anyone happen to know what may occur next? In other words, does the buyer automatically

get their purchase refunded and then I in turn my Paypal debited? I'm very worried and thank you for any advice/feedback. 

P.S. The delivery address for the buyer looks like a 3rd party situation where the package is first received in the USA and then shipped onto the country. 

Thanks again and hope you have a nice weekend ahead!!

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Item Still in Transit: 1 and 1/2 Months. Buyer Growing Impatient, What Next? Thanks!!

If the tracking hasn't been updated since June 12, then you can start a lost mail request (should probalby have been done several weeks ago).

If the buyer starts an Item Not Received request, then you will need to refund their full payment before the deadline when the buyer can escalate the case. You need to resolve it yourself in order to avoid getting a defect, and to get your FVF credited back to you.

It doesn't matter if the buyer is international, or is using a forwarding service. One of my purchases disappeared in California at the same time as your package did. The seller refunded me promptly, though I was willing to wait longer. Of course, if it ever shows up, I will pay the seller again. I have started a  lost mail request myself, but no luck so far.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

If you don't have tracking showing delivery to the city/state/zip on the PayPal ship-to address you will lose any Item Not Received claim.

You can refund now before the buyer files a claim (if the buyer has not filed yet) or you can wait for the buyer to file a claim, then refund if the tracking still does not show delivery.

At this point it is very likely the package is truly lost and/or label or package damaged, or that it has been delivered just not scanned as such.

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

If your payment has an address that is in the US, then as long as your tracking shows delivered to that address - that is as far as your responsibility goes.

Since your tracking does not show that you need to get the PO on the ball and have them locate the package.

Go to your local PO branch and ask for the postmaster.  Show them the tracking number and have them locate the package in their internal system.  According to the system, it is still in the US.  The internal system will have pictures of the package and it's last exact location.  I have had them find several of my packages bouncing around their system.

Ask the postmaster the odds of finding it and sending it along if they have no idea where it is OR if delivery has not been imputted in the system..  If they say slim, then have them return it to you (they can change the delivery address in their internal system on the barcode) and refund the buyer.

If they locate it and/or can confirm delivery, have them update the system and once it shows delivered, notify the buyer that they have to discuss the problem with their reshipper.

(*Bleep*)
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

If your ship to address is in the US, the odds are good that if it was delivered, the package is sitting in the reshippers container waiting to go to the buyers country.

If your ship to address is International or Hawaii, and is going Parcel - then it is probably in the POs shipping container waiting to be delivered to the country.

(*Bleep*)
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

isn't it eBay policy to refund buyer at eBay's cost and the package will either arrive there or come back to you

had one out for 2 months go to japanese military bases but it made it back, with stories to tell
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

When I look at the tracking, it appears to be lost in the USPS system and never made it to the address. If you insured it, you should be able to open a claim on the USPS website and get the insured amount back if they can't locate it. You should notify the buyer of the situation and let them know you will issue a refund if the USPS isn't able to locate the package in the next few days. If you didn't get insurance (remember, Priority packages have up to $100 automatically) you are probably out of luck.
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

If this was sent priority you will be fine, file a claim via the website, they will ask you for the monetry proof of what the package contained, a copy of the original label etc, i was told the label was more than likely damaged and so they have no idea where the package was to be delivered, this happened to me 2 weeks ago, filed the claim online had the check in the mail 6 days later, with the buyer i would offer a re send or a refund, as i said if it was Priority mail you will get all your money back.

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

P.S. The delivery address for the buyer looks like a 3rd party situation where the package is first received in the USA and then shipped onto the country. 

So are you shipping via the Global Shipping Program or directly out the US.  Did your buyer give you the address themselves cause the US addy AND the Outside US addy should not appear on any shipping label.

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

@ag47silver-us wrote:
isn't it eBay policy to refund buyer at eBay's cost and the package will either arrive there or come back to you

had one out for 2 months go to japanese military bases but it made it back, with stories to tell

No, definitely not at eBay's cost. The refund is charged to the seller, and if eBay has to do it for them, then the seller will get a defect and they won't get the final value fees credited back to them.

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

But this is the policy: as a seller

If an item is lost or broken during international shipping, eBay Money Back Guarantee cases will be resolved in your favour, and your seller performance standards won’t be affected

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

@ag47silver-us wrote:

LOL. No. That’s absolutely NOT ebays policy. Never has been and never will be. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

@ag47silver-us wrote:

But this is the policy: as a seller

If an item is lost or broken during international shipping, eBay Money Back Guarantee cases will be resolved in your favour, and your seller performance standards won’t be affected

@ag47silver-us that doesn’t apply here. That applies to global shipping program transactions. And even if this was a global shipping transaction, eBay only covers the seller on the international leg of the shipment. The seller is still responsible UNTIL the item reaches the GSP  in Kentucky so.....the OP is responsible here. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

@2015mhfashions wrote:

If this was sent priority you will be fine, file a claim via the website, they will ask you for the monetry proof of what the package contained, a copy of the original label etc, i was told the label was more than likely damaged and so they have no idea where the package was to be delivered, this happened to me 2 weeks ago, filed the claim online had the check in the mail 6 days later, with the buyer i would offer a re send or a refund, as i said if it was Priority mail you will get all your money back.

Unfortunately in this case No, tracking indicates that it was a First Class Package using a label generated at one of the USPS' Self Serve lobby kiosks. You print the label, stick it on your package and drop it in the bin there. 

Tracking ends abruptly after leaving the Portland, OR, USPS Processing & Distribution Facility, one of their bigger places (I think). It does not show either international departure or domestic delivery (including to a reshipper) after leaving Portland, so I'm not very optimistic that this one is ever going to resurface after this much time has gone by. Sorry...

Message 14 of 14
latest reply