cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item Specifics

Anonymous
Not applicable

why am I being asked for item specifics, when everything is in my original listings ? Such as heel height and length ? Also I never mark an item for priority shipping and yet when I sold something today it said Priority Shipping ?????

This cost the buyer more money and I have never, ever used this method of shipping, I don't even have a priority mailing envelope !!!! I am sick of this new format that EBay has forced on us. In fact so much so, that I haven't listed anything for months.!!!

Most people are working from home but I guess Ebay can't do that !!!!

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Item Specifics

"Also I never mark an item for priority shipping and yet when I sold something today it said Priority Shipping ?????"

I took a quick glance at a few of your listings for shoes, heels, sandals and saw that you have USPS First Class as your shipping option at a pretty high price for that option.  Price aside, how can shipping for a pair of shoes even qualify for first class? Don't they all weigh more than a pound when packaged?

I also noticed that you often have Parcel Select as a shipping option. I never use parcel select because I almost always find that Priority mail is just as cheap within a few cents of Parcel Select because of the eBay seller's discount on priority mail. Not only does priority get there faster for just as cheap, plus some free added insurance,  but I can pass the discount along to my buyers which can help to increase the amount they might bid on something.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 6 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Who is asking you for Item Specifics?  Buyers or eBay?  Buyers sometimes don't read the listing.  Some even don't look at the pictures.  

Shipping is decided by the seller.  You could have marked it priority by accident.  But you don't need a priority mailing envelope.  Any package or envelope will do.  If you marked it flat rate priority, just change it to priority package.  You could also just change it to first class and refund the buyer the difference by PayPal.  

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Completing the Items Specifics section helps to place higher in searches on both eBay and Google, resulting in better sales. It also helps the buyer understand exactly what he is buying so that returns are minimized. Furthermore, item specifics show up at the top of eBay Mobile which helps buyers find the information they need quickly and easily. The more information sellers can provide about their items, the better. If buyers understand exactly what they are bidding on or buying, they are less likely to cancel a transaction or return an item because of misunderstandings. I highly recommend filling out the Item Specifics, it really gives your listing(s) a boost on eBay and Google's search engine. It requires extra work... but in the long run, it really does pay off.

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Ebay has numerous filters that buyers can search by .......varies by category...... color/size and the like, we are used to.......but to replace the catalog (that didn't work), they are apparently considering others......which will be drawn from the item specifics and will probably be different for each item/type of item.  I.e. Search for Red china.......there may be filters for cups saucers/Dinner plates/lunch plates/salad plates/serving bowls/accessory pieces......etc.....If you've put in the IS,  the item will show up under the appropriate filter. 

If you haven't filled in the IS, your item won't show up...  Presumably it will  still show up if a buyer SEARCHES for Red china plate, but if the filter is used, it won't.

At least that's my understanding. 

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Some items MUST have item specs to be listed if they are being listed as new.

Fill in the ones with the asterisk... The rest fill in or not up to you.  But know this on Mobile they may only see the pics, and those specs, for your item description they have to do an extra click or two and they may not do it.

As for priority vrs parcel post or some times the item won't go parcel post so the only other option is priority (I have never figured out why somethings will go parcel post to CA, but not 2 towns over).  I've seen that on several of mine, it's why I started offering both on my listings and let the buyer decide how much they want to pay for shipping. (over first class)

You don't have to have USPS white and red boxes / envelopes to ship items priority, ship in the same containers you always have and just slap the label on them.

I hate photobucket right now... PS Answers given years ago may or may not be current now, please check with current posters to the boards to see if the information is still relevant.
Message 5 of 13
latest reply

"Also I never mark an item for priority shipping and yet when I sold something today it said Priority Shipping ?????"

I took a quick glance at a few of your listings for shoes, heels, sandals and saw that you have USPS First Class as your shipping option at a pretty high price for that option.  Price aside, how can shipping for a pair of shoes even qualify for first class? Don't they all weigh more than a pound when packaged?

I also noticed that you often have Parcel Select as a shipping option. I never use parcel select because I almost always find that Priority mail is just as cheap within a few cents of Parcel Select because of the eBay seller's discount on priority mail. Not only does priority get there faster for just as cheap, plus some free added insurance,  but I can pass the discount along to my buyers which can help to increase the amount they might bid on something.

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

I actually think EBay is changing my listings but I will double check, but 90 % of the time my listing say what the materials length and etc. are, but also if someone is really interested and something is not listed, like length, etc., they should ask me. For my listings, to add item specifics, means  I have to un-pack the item, which I have many bins where I store my listed items. I don't understand why they had to add that, most of us don't like that, but since you can't get hold of Ebay right now, I will have to just fly blind, as I am not going to un=pack what I have already listed in the original format.

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

To add the IS means I have to un-pack all of my items and fill in the IS, I have too many items to do that. If my listing are not showing up, I will have no choice but to end all my listings and go to Posh Mark.

TY for your reply, I do appreciate it.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

EBay is asking.

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable
Have had no reply to my question ! As I said above, most of what buyer needs to know is in my listing format. Will it hurt my selling if I ignore IS ? I don't have the time to un-pack everything I have already listed. Please answer. Thank You.
Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@redrumcollectibles wrote:

Completing the Items Specifics section helps to place higher in searches on both eBay and Google, resulting in better sales. It also helps the buyer understand exactly what he is buying so that returns are minimized. Furthermore, item specifics show up at the top of eBay Mobile which helps buyers find the information they need quickly and easily. The more information sellers can provide about their items, the better. If buyers understand exactly what they are bidding on or buying, they are less likely to cancel a transaction or return an item because of misunderstandings. I highly recommend filling out the Item Specifics, it really gives your listing(s) a boost on eBay and Google's search engine. It requires extra work... but in the long run it really does pay off.

ding ding ding ding big wing chicken dinner.

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

To add the IS means I have to un-pack all of my items and fill in the IS, I have too many items to do that. If my listing are not showing up, I will have no choice but to end all my listings and go to Posh Mark.

TY for your reply, I do appreciate it.

Certainly your choice......but one thing that may help sell the items, especially clothing is to put the relevant measurements in..........i.e. for a blouse.....Number of inches from armhole to armhole......pants/skirt: waist and length in inches.  I realize that requires pulling it all out......but at least begin putting it in in the new listings........

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

It isn't working.  I have now had a few items fall into the catagories and sales collapse.  Most of the options to fill in are of no relevance and it is very difficult to second guess what a buyer might be thinking when searching.  The whole point of open ended search with pictures in the results is that the buyer, who doesn't actual know what the correct description of the item is, can identify from the inital set of results what they are trying to find.  Even 'shoes' means many different things to different people.  The specifics limit listings which means buyers can no longer be tempted by a colour, shape or product that they didn't intend on in the first place.  I am actually finding it difficult to find what should be simple items now.  This attempt to catagories everything flies in the face of how an open interface should work.  It is failing and quite badely according to many posts from 2016 onwards as far as I can see.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply