cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Item Specifics and Ebays Complete Lack of Product Knowledge!

So this has been ongoing issue with ebay past 2 years - making new "item specifics" mandatory for categories. Today I got hit with massive amount of these for Music > Records category. What burns me more is that ALL my item specifics were and are always completely filled out - so what does ebay do? Not only require new specifics not even related to the product, but they wiped out half of the specifics I already had filled out! So now I get to go into edit for EVERY SINGLE LISTING and spend hours to fix what ebay screwed up - again. 

The people involved in created these specifics are morons - they know nothing of the products they are creating specifics for. At least show some intelligence and put specifics that relate to the product!!! 

I know others have been through this already with the categories they sell in. Wouldn't bother me as much if they didn't whip out half of what I already had they are requiring. 

The great truth is there isn't one
And it only gets worse since that conclusion...
...There is something about the rigid posture of a proper, authentic blind
As if extended arms reached to pass his blindness onto others.
Message 1 of 91
latest reply
90 REPLIES 90

Same thing with sports cards. I think it’s a coding issue. Last time it was a shipping options problem and it fixed itself. I’d give it until tonight before messing with it if you have a lot of listings. 

Message 2 of 91
latest reply

I like Ebay, even though they do really, really stupid stuff sometimes. Forced item specifics is really really stupid stuff, especially when most of their selections have absolutely nothing to do with the item that's being listed.

I'm just thankful that most of the stuff I sell has minimal/no forced IS. I can make my own.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 3 of 91
latest reply

I am liking ebay less and less, more and more. Their ability to not screw things up is unprecedented! Along with their ability to not fix issues they create. 

Aside, in terms of item specifics, understand why there needs to be them, don't mind filling them out either. In comparison to my competitors, my listings are superior where many of them don't fill out any specifics at all nor any description + use stock photos not showing actual quality of the item in their possession. But when ebay decided to make new specifics and wipes out a lot of what they are asking that I already supplied it eats me, as this is time consuming and ebay is becoming the work of 3 full time jobs with the pay of 1 part time job anymore. That and specifics that have no reason being there.

Example: why do I have to fill out the album titles 2- 3 x? One says "Title" the other says "Album" - composers ... uhm, that would be the band in most cases, if it wasn't read the liner notes/credits on the album... all kinds of stupid stuff like this, not necessary and/or applies - does the idiots who make these fields think of placing "N/A" on any option? Of course not they have to be smart for that.

Example: Sleeve Type... "Cardboard Sleeve - Paper Sleeve - Plastic Slipcover" options... well, it's vinyl, 90% is cardboard made jacket, 10% are special like case wrapping or hardcover (like book) or digipack (extremely rare and expensive processes for vinyl). All vinyl have plastic "slipcover" (it's not a "slipcover" it's a outer plastic sleeve... but these genius' wouldn't know that).

Another example: Inlay Condition: if selling used/preowned vinyl OK I can see the relevance... but if your selling new vinyl, this is absurd, also again, who makes these decided to place all options (Mint, NM, Good etc...) but no option that says "N/A" (since all releases do not include a insert) or "New" like the condition being offered.

They have all kinds of things that are useless and cannot be known such as Fidelity Level - unless you were the sound engineer who mastered the audio for vinyl pressing then there is no way to know this. Number of Audio Channel (Number of channels used to record and playback audio, characterized by sound type) - again - see above, no way to know this! Instrument - really?? are you f***ing kidding me! Occasion - yeah, all music is created and recorded for an occasion - idiots. 

Message 4 of 91
latest reply

The same with comics. Listings are useless as of today.

Message 5 of 91
latest reply

Just here to see if anyone else was as floored as I was when the items specifics increased 10 fold and most of it irrelivant to the product.  Vinyl Records.  It is now taking even longer to list these low dollar items. Crazy.  I am sticking to Does not apply for most of the answers. 

Message 6 of 91
latest reply

@nuclearomen wrote:

... they know nothing of the products they are creating specifics for. At least show some intelligence and put specifics that relate to the product!!! 

I have no idea why eBay refuses to take advantage of the tens of thousands of experts who sell on their platform. Bizarre.

Message 7 of 91
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for reaching out to us about Item Specifics that will soon be required. In the Vinyl Records category this will apply to Artist, Album Name and Format. The latter will be pre-populated with "Record" in this specific category.

Filling in the Required item specifics will increase the findability of the item in search. Some item specifics are indexed for Search Engine Optimization (SEO) and may also be used to match your listing to a product that may already have wide exposure. This should improve the chances of selling the item.

As the category changes roll out, there will be some fluctuation in the item specifics. This should settle down in the next 24-48 hours. We apologize for the inconvenience in the meantime.

Thank you again for taking the time to share this valuable feedback, and for choosing eBay!

Kind regards,

Arthur

Message 8 of 91
latest reply

sorry , but i can't supply a upc label + manufacturer on used 100 year old items like ebay has requested lately !

Message 9 of 91
latest reply

@nuclearomen 

Next thing that they are going to want from you is the LP's copyright info...creative writing credits for each song on the album...perhaps the time it took for each song to be composed, then recorded...how many days have passed since the album has been released...LOL!!!

I know that this situation is not funny but sometimes things get so ludicrous that one just has to poke funat the whole process...

Sorry for your situation.  I am lucky...the categories that I list in do not have these assinine specifics for me to fill out...yet...

I hope that my ridiculous added specific made you laugh...or at least chuckle...

...sigh...

Message 10 of 91
latest reply

Can someone please explain what an EC Rating is? Ok, I get that it means Energy Consumption, but how can that possibly relate to a bowl or a vase or a decorative ceramic piece that uses no energy??? And I can't even put in N/A or Does not apply! I don't know what the rating supplied mean, and they don't apply to the listings. So why are they there?????

Message 11 of 91
latest reply

What burns me more is that ALL my item specifics were and are always completely filled out - so what does ebay do? Not only require new specifics not even related to the product, but they wiped out half of the specifics I already had filled out! So now I get to go into edit for EVERY SINGLE LISTING and spend hours to fix what ebay screwed up - again. 

Yep.  Try having more than 650 Hallmark holiday ornaments up and just added over 50 new ones on Sunday to get ready for our Christmas in July sale.  Everything lumped.  I had my "own" specifics and now ALL of those ARE GONE.  WTH??

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 12 of 91
latest reply

@Anonymous 

Arthur - is e-BAY putting BACK the data that we had there or is everything GONE - forever?  Wiped out, nothing there?

We're expected to just re-work everything about 24-48 hours and HOPE no other changes to a category are coming?  

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 13 of 91
latest reply

You still have not addressed the fact that these item specifics are obviously written by someone who has no knowledge of the category.

Were these reviewed and approved by someone? Did they have any knowledge of the category?

Did you reach out to any sellers who might have some actual idea of what would improve the item specifics?

Thanks,

tjnovak

20 plus years seller

PS you spelt accordion wrong

Message 14 of 91
latest reply

@Anonymous 
you need to listen, there are things in these item specifics that need to be removed, I've been dealing in vinyl for 25+ years, I've manufactured it, released it and distributed it and I'm telling you some the things ebay added as required are useless and/or not relevant. Since I know your on these boards and seen my post here is a list of the top fields (with screen shot) that need to be removed and/or revised: 

FORMAT: This needs to be REMOVED - useless - understand item is being listed in category Music > Records, so why on earth would you need to put "Record" again? Not to mention there are other fields of requirements that state the format is a record like format size (7"/10"/12" etc..) or RPM (33/45) 

ALBUM NAME: This needs to be REMOVED - it's already listed under the "TITLE" field - there is no logical reason need to list the name of the album listed 2-3-4 times (it's already in the listing title and description + in the "Title" feild of requirements! 

CASE TYPE: This needs to be REMOVED - pretty dumb and silly, one being, it's vinyl, most all vinyl are packaged in a jacket made from card stock (cardboard) the ones that are not like casewrapped jacket that would go under "Features" or "Special Attributes" fields that are already there without adding more crud. 

INLAY CONDITION: Under stand why would place this specific, however, need to add the option of "N/A" and "New" - Why? Because 1. not all vinyl released are manufactured with a Insert (it's called an insert) so why would ebay make this field required with all the options of Mint, Near Mint, Fair etc... if there is no inlay? Also, condition is only needed when listing used/preowned vinyl, if seller is selling new vinyl then the option should always be "New" - just as Vinyl and Jacket fields. No one (with experience) lists vinyl as Mint, that rating is considered extremely rare because it rare that any vinyl new or not is actually Mint state. Most sellers lists M/NM condition new or otherwise. But I don't use these unless grading condition of preowned item. The items I sell are new, this means they are unplayed and unused condition = NEW. 

MATERIAL: This need to be REMOVED! Think about it, what idiot created this field??? Really, I want to know! Let's see, it's a record, is it vinyl? lol... did you see the "required options" here?

"PVC / Shellac / Victrolac / Vinyl"
how many vinyl records do you own or known that are PVC / Shellac / Victrolac / Vinyl??? like to see them! 
You see how idiotic this is? Ebay needs to learn about how vinyl is manufactured...clearly don't know squat especially when it comes to materials. Further more, most people selling vinyl won't know the actual resins used to make the vinyl. So instead of being ultra complicated and useless, just remove the field all together! No one will fill this out. 

IMG_1441.jpg

Half of the stuff below this, as "additional" fields, get rid of, usless. 
MPN: useless, while most records have indicator number, that number is mixed and means different things from pressing plant who pressed it to the person who cut the master. Most of these are not even traceable as there is no source that exists that records them. 

Composer, Conductor, Era, Performer Orchestra: should be removed and only present under the genre of classical or such - all other styles need this not. 

Fidelity Level: no one will know this, or fill it out. 

Number of Audio Channels: remove - not only silly, just going to lead to confusion. 

Occasion: remove - this is music not a holiday. 

Message 15 of 91
latest reply