cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Isn't eBay offering anymore FREE listing promotions?

I haven't received a free listing promoton from eBay all month.  Usually they offer 1000 to 2000 free listings. Does anyone know what's going on?

Message 1 of 89
latest reply
88 REPLIES 88

They have one ending at the end of February so I wonder if they might come out with one next month.

Message 2 of 89
latest reply

And, of course, you never know how many they hand out to the Chinese sellers...

“It took me quite a long time to develop a voice, and now that I have it, I am not going to be silent” ― Madeleine K. Albright

Great! 45.8% down over the same time last year with 2x+ items listed. Are you impressed? I'm certainly not!
Message 3 of 89
latest reply

@llllady wrote:

Does it count if I eat chinese food?

Message 4 of 89
latest reply

I wonder if they even need to send them to chinese sellers...I have no idea if they might get a different deal on free listings than users in other countries that aren't considered big box stores.

But they send different promos at different times to different sellers, likely to help even out volume.

Message 5 of 89
latest reply

I don't know what is going on.  But, if they give me 2000 free listings, I can list 2000  of my items that almost no one wants to buy. 

Out of the 2000 listings, I will probably sell about 10 items.

Message 6 of 89
latest reply

Starting tomorrow, February 20th, Ebay is making some major changes.  Until those changes go into effect I don't think we as sellers will see any free listings offers.  Again in May they are making more changes and all of these will have a great effect on how sellers will be able to conduct business on Ebay.  I don't know how it will effect you but a 30 day return policy in order to maintain a Top Rated Plus seller ID will be impossible and rediculous  for most of us.  I can't make a promise to have a handemade ironing board cover returned to me after 29 days of use.  That is just not fair.

Message 7 of 89
latest reply

don't know what is going on.  But, if they give me 2000 free listings, I can list 2000  of my items that almost no one wants to buy. 

Out of the 2000 listings, I will probably sell about 10 items.

Well, if this isn't a good reason to have unlimited freebies, I do not know what is.

Message 8 of 89
latest reply

What are the major changes?

Message 9 of 89
latest reply

@ikolekt2 wrote:

I haven't received a free listing promoton from eBay all month.  Usually they offer 1000 to 2000 free listings. Does anyone know what's going on?

Pros and cons to those massive Freebie offers ... I think I've gotten 3 in the first 6 months of selling ... the first one I got I just sat there and thought, "where in the world am I going to come up with 1000 things to list AND in the several day time frame they gave me?????"  I did use a small percentage of the listings offered.  My preference is Auction Style listings, 5 - 7 - 10 days only ... I could live without 30 day FP listings but have done them for certain items.  One month had to take my 30 day listings down due to my travel schedule, wasn't going to be around to ship.  With Auctions you can at least drop the Buy Now within a certain amount of time prior to the end time and know you don't have to ship until it ends.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 10 of 89
latest reply

@llllady wrote:

You know, that brings up a good point about what kind of packages other countries get when they sign up to sell.  I Buy and Sell and I bought some things from several UK Sellers who list many things Auction Style on a weekly basis.  In dealing with them I at least learned that if something did not sell on say a 7 day Auction, they just keep Relisting it until it sells ... with the US packages, even stores, there is not a package that would let you Relist an item 3 or 4 times in one month without adding Insertion Fees each week to all the listings.  It does not take long to burn through 50 or even 100 Free Auction style listings ...  

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 11 of 89
latest reply

Not all sellers get the same freebie offers, they do seem to rotate who gets what and when. You can't count on them or expect be included in all of them either.

Message 12 of 89
latest reply

50 free listing is too poor
One sale a day, tomorrow the entire Galaxy!
Message 13 of 89
latest reply

@ikolekt2 wrote:

You are over looking the advantages of a lack of promotions.

Think of all the work you save not having to created one or the thousand listings.  The scanning and picture taking.  The writing of descriptions.

Trying to make sure that you have not missed or violated some of the many many many many many many many many many demands and requirements in a listing

Then there is the daily waiting and waiting for sales, and, if you are lucky to get one, the work packaging and shipping, all the while hoping it isn't returned or that some crazy person doesn't gives you a neg.

After all, it doesn't take long to go through the tiny 50 per month.

Lots of time off to do other things like go to the beach or spend time with friends an family.

Yes, those promotions are a lot of work and mostly they help eBay, boosting numbers and advertising products that have nothing to do with what you are selling, or trying to.

And there are now so many sites with no listing fee because they are ABOUT SELLING.

Message 14 of 89
latest reply

I totally agree. Making listings takes lots of time and paying 5 cents, 10 cents, 20 cents, 30 cents extra every month on each OOAK item just continually adds more cost to the items the longer they take to sell. And with shipping charges that have risen drastically over the last 10 years, that makes things even more expensive. 

When Ebay was mostly all auctions that model worked with listing fees because very rarely you would not sell the majority of everything you listed within 2 rounds of listing fees. Once they switched the default search to Best Match that all ended pretty quickly. It became very hard to get a bid or even get a view on an auction listing.

Ebay is stuck in a rut because of this very reason. They make MUCH more money from me when I have free listings. These past couple of months with barely any free listings they have made very little from me and I have sold that inventory elsewhere and that was inventory no longer in production and can't be replaced. It's now gone and they made nothing from it, when they could have.

There are more things in this world that sell slowly than there are things that sell quickly.

Sure you can pay a small listing fee if you know you want to sell your merchandise very cheap at giveaway prices quickly if you are trying to go out of business and take a loss or make very little to no profit but that is about it. Or if it is a very high demand or hard to find item. 

Oh well it is ebays business what they do but I jst think they are making a mistake not giving more freebies.

Message 15 of 89
latest reply