cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is No PayPal possible?

Just curious...Not that I would entertain such a dumb idea but will eBay let us only accept money orders and such mailed to us (sellers).  then we ship the item once payment is received?

I know dumb ?? but just curious.

Message 1 of 244
latest reply
243 REPLIES 243

Re: Is No PayPal possible?

wrote:

Just curious...Not that I would entertain such a dumb idea but will eBay let us only accept money orders and such mailed to us (sellers).  then we ship the item once payment is received?

You have to offer one online payment method.

Also, money orders are only allowed in certain categories.

But back in the day it was all money orders and sometimes even cash.

Message 2 of 244
latest reply

Nope.

Message 3 of 244
latest reply

wrote:

Not anymore, at one time (about 10 years ago or so and before) it was possible. I remember back when it was still OK to accept MO's in all catagories. An eye doctor from NYC asked if he could pay for a $1,000 capped bust half dollar with a MO. He didn't want to use paypal, even though I took paypal as payment at the time. eBay aliented a significant number of buyers (who for whatever reason will not share banking info online) when they all but made it impossible for buyers to pay with a MO. Personally I would think long and hard about sending a seller a $1000 MO but there are people out there who are more comfortable doing that than using paypal.

Message 4 of 244
latest reply

One of the biggest exodus of buyers happened when paypal became mandatory. To this day ebay has never recovered from that blunder in business judgement...

Message 5 of 244
latest reply

wrote:

One of the biggest exodus of buyers happened when paypal became mandatory. To this day ebay has never recovered from that blunder in business judgement...

The opposite for me.  I started buying more expensive items when sellers started taking paypal, and especially after Paypal credit,

Message 6 of 244
latest reply

Missed a lot of ultra rare merchandise that came up on the auction block. A lot of the rare is now gone has changed hands and living in new homes never to see the market again for 20 years...

Message 7 of 244
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

The opposite for me.  I started buying more expensive items when sellers started taking paypal, and especially after Paypal credit,

Well the smart thing would have been for eBay to do both. Make sellers accepting an electronic payment method mandatory and still allow buyers the choice to openly pay by MO if they wished. Most buyers are smart and know the risks of doing so. I can guarantee you my eye doctor customer was no dummy and was perfectly comfy doing what he did. I found out that he was THE owner of the #1 registry set of PCGS graded capped bust halves on PCGS's website. He had deep (real deep) into 7 figures worth of coins pictured on PCGS's website. If you don't know about coin grading services PCGS is the Lamborghini of coin grading services. The smart thing would have been to allow buyers to make their own choices. But alas, eBay and Paypal were twins at the time and eBay killed MO's to try to increase paypal's bottom line without thinking about their own. I can look at my feedback profile going back years and many MO buyers are NARU now. There is a large group of buyers out there who will say "screw you" to eBay when eBay starts trying to dictate things to them.

Message 8 of 244
latest reply

wrote:

This is so true. Many of the "General public" type Buyers have now gone to other sites to buy. Still remaining here of course are the hard core collectors and other serious buyers.

But people who just buy for the fun of it have moved onto other sites. 

For example, when I can't sell something here, even after several weeks of trying, I give it to my wife who sells it on Listia...

....her sell-through rate is 100% on my left overs.

Not kidding, now of course she only collects credit, but Everything I give her sells. Stuff that you can't even sell for $1 here will sell for $5 or $10 on listia.

Ebay has made it too hard on the lower class by requiring paypal, many of whom are credit/bank challenged. It's been over 5 years since my last question about taking checks/Money Orders, ebay drove them all away.   

Message 9 of 244
latest reply

wrote:

The new payment process system will include Paypal --- and Merchant Credit Cards --- all handled through Adyen

Message 10 of 244
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

This is so true. Many of the "General public" type Buyers have now gone to other sites to buy. Still remaining here of course are the hard core collectors and other serious buyers.

For example, when I can't sell something here, even after several weeks of trying, I give it to my wife who sells it on Listia...

Not kidding, now of course she only collects credit, but Everything I give her sells. Stuff that you can't even sell for $1 here will sell for $5 or $10 on listia.

Ebay has made it too hard on the lower class by requiring paypal, many of whom are credit/bank challenged. It's been over 5 years since my last question about taking checks/Money Orders, ebay drove them all away.   

I still get them occasionally. I got one in the last month. With all the booby traps set by eBay about off site sales and exchanging contact info now, I think my standard answer is just going to be no from now on 100% of the time. I envision it being way too much hassle to get it done to save $5 in paypal fees. 

Message 11 of 244
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

I still get them occasionally. I got one in the last month. With all the booby traps set by eBay about off site sales and exchanging contact info now, I think my standard answer is just going to be no from now on 100% of the time. I envision it being way too much hassle to get it done to save $5 in paypal fees. 

Ebay wants every buyer to conform to the same standards, to basicly fall in line. No rebels allowed. And you're right, we sellers are forced not to accept checks even when asked...the risk is simply too much on many levels at this point.

Truth is, Paypal is much easier. But my 70 y/o mom doesn't have Paypal, but she sure knows how to write a check. She has no problem ordering from QVC because they still accept checks.

Message 12 of 244
latest reply

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

Ebay wants every buyer to conform to the same standards, to basicly fall in line. No rebels allowed. And you're right, we sellers are forced not to accept checks even when asked...the risk is simply too much on many levels at this point.

Truth is, Paypal is much easier. But my 70 y/o mom doesn't have Paypal, but she sure knows how to write a check. She has no problem ordering from QVC because they still accept checks.

You do have an option - start your own website - invest your own money (millions at least) - then you too can set the rules

Message 13 of 244
latest reply

The opposite for me.  I started buying more expensive items when sellers started taking paypal...

Even when you could offer to accept checks & M.O.... even when you could offer to accept checks & M.O. and nothing else... there were plenty of sellers here (the majority) accepting PayPal.  I don't know why anyone couldn't buy the more expensive items without eBay running off all the buyers... and sellers... who wouldn't use PayPal.

Missed a lot of ultra rare merchandise that came up on the auction block. A lot of the rare is now gone...

As are many of the sellers who sell it.

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 14 of 244
latest reply

Same here, it's been a couple of years... and before the ban, I was getting almost 50% checks and M.O. 

That's even before we get to all the PayPal users that PayPal drove off... demanding links to bank accounts because the buyer reached their "spending limit" using a credit card, and defrauding sellers who then closed their PayPal account (or who PayPal had frozen their account) and were then unable to buy anything on eBay too. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 15 of 244
latest reply