cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting seller protection information/implications

Key phrase: 

The protections associated with a Global Shipping Program shipment are for eMBG requests only.

Addressed yesterday in the weekly chat.  See message #35, and again confirmed in message #69. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Discussion-with-eBay/Community-Chat-September-22-1-00-pm-PT-Gen...

Message 1 of 48
latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

I read that in the Chat thread (after the chat had closed, of course, since that time period seems to blow right past me every.single.week). 

I took it to mean that eBay's MBG seller protections (which is an oxymoron in and of itself) do not apply to chargeback situations. Is that how you understood it? I thought most sellers realized that chargebacks are processed through a credit card issuer, not eBay, so it makes sense that eBay's seller protections wouldn't apply. Makes sense to me--not that I agree with it or like it or think it's okay, just that it makes sense.

eBay's INAD policies are different from PayPal's INAD policies are different from credit card issuers' INAD policies. 

As it was and every shall be. Herein endeth the lesson.

Message 2 of 48
latest reply

I took it to mean that eBay's MBG seller protections (which is an oxymoron in and of itself) do not apply to chargeback situations. Is that how you understood it? 

@eleanor*rigby 

I took it to mean that sellers that use the GSP ( and have implied and stated protection for INR and specifically items lost or damaged in shipping ) will lose that protection IF the buyer bypasses the eBay claim system, and goes directly for a chargeback.   For example, if you are a seller and your item was damaged in shipping, protections will no longer apply.   

You then get to experience the joys of the "one photo" evidence  snad complaint, and it does not matter if you used the GSP or not. You can't even make an insurance claim, since you are not allowed to purchase insurance for the "international leg" of the transaction anyway.  

Message 3 of 48
latest reply

@eleanor*rigby wrote:

I read that in the Chat thread (after the chat had closed, of course, since that time period seems to blow right past me every.single.week). 

I took it to mean that eBay's MBG seller protections (which is an oxymoron in and of itself) do not apply to chargeback situations. Is that how you understood it? I thought most sellers realized that chargebacks are processed through a credit card issuer, not eBay, so it makes sense that eBay's seller protections wouldn't apply. Makes sense to me--not that I agree with it or like it or think it's okay, just that it makes sense.

eBay's INAD policies are different from PayPal's INAD policies are different from credit card issuers' INAD policies. 

As it was and every shall be. Herein endeth the lesson.

"Charge backs" Now called "payment disputes go through multiple systems including Manged Payments.

Not just eBay so any seller protection on ebay is now worthless with such.

Been that way a long time.

Message 4 of 48
latest reply

Correct me if wrong!

eBay global shipping was to protect seller and buyer. Items were shipped to eBay's global shipping point in Kentucky. Never an issue because I believe that location scanned, maybe even repacked before shipping. 

In the past 2 years or less, it looks like international buyers can easily files claims of any kind and force the seller to refund rather than pay International shipping for a return that will probably not the item sold. A rock, empty box, buyers original broken item that they wanted to replace, and so on!

This is why I no longer do international! 

Message 5 of 48
latest reply

eBay global shipping was to protect seller and buyer. Items were shipped to eBay's global shipping point in Kentucky. 

@sextons-sweet-deals 

Use of the GSP,  ONLY protected the seller for items not received to the international destination, and items damaged or 'lost' in shipping.  For the rest of the SNAD complaints of "item not as described" the seller was indeed on the hook for providing return shipping  FROM THE INTERNATIONAL LOCATION in advance if they wanted the item back.   For regular SNAD complaints that still applies. 

The advantage for the seller  who used the GSP would be that they would not be liable for snad claims specifically related to "items damaged in shipping" or "items that never arrived to the international destination".   

I would say these protections still apply UNLESS the buyer goes to their payment provider and does a chargeback.  Then the protections are no longer offered to the seller who has used the GSP.  

Message 6 of 48
latest reply

@sextons-sweet-deals wrote:

Correct me if wrong!

eBay global shipping was to protect seller and buyer. Items were shipped to eBay's global shipping point in Kentucky. Never an issue because I believe that location scanned, maybe even repacked before shipping. 

In the past 2 years or less, it looks like international buyers can easily files claims of any kind and force the seller to refund rather than pay International shipping for a return that will probably not the item sold. A rock, empty box, buyers original broken item that they wanted to replace, and so on!

This is why I no longer do international! 

It only takes a few to ruin it for many....

Message 7 of 48
latest reply

Thank you for the info. 

The buyer has found an out on GSP to get item for free and eBay does nothing to protect seller even after they repacked and confirmed buyers address and delivery conformation. 

What is going on with our society? 

Message 8 of 48
latest reply

I think we're getting at the same thing, but perhaps from a different angle. The GSP program is not the "problem,"--it's the credit card chargeback process. It's not just the GSP protections that go out the window with a chargeback--it's ALL eBay seller protections with ANY reason used for a chargeback. 

Chargebacks are out of the hands of eBay, as far as protections or adjudicating an outcome, no matter what the buyer has claimed. Even an INR would be approved or denied by the credit card issuer. SNADS? Forget about it. And, as far as I'm aware, credit card issuers don't require the item be returned, unless someone knows differently.

I agree with the objection to uploading only one photo to defend against a chargeback. I wonder whether that's an eBay restriction or standard restriction among the credit card issuers themselves. Maybe someone reading this will know the answer. In the meantime, I've read posts saying a member has assembled several documents onto a surface and uploaded one photo that includes all documents. Again, I've not done that personally, so . . .

My personal take on chargebacks is that they're the latest scam that buyers have latched onto. Buyers claiming they don't recognize the transaction, when the entries on the majority of credit/debit card statements clearly display EBAY, for example, is bull. Buyers know the credit card issuer will side with them 99.99% of the time. It's disgusting, IMO.

Message 9 of 48
latest reply

@sextons-sweet-deals wrote:

Correct me if wrong!

The eBay GSP seller protections cover buyer claims filed with eBay. They do not cover buyer claims filed with the buyer's credit card issuer. eBay has no control over the decisions made by a third party such as a credit card issuer.

Message 10 of 48
latest reply

Consider, though, that chargebacks are generally very difficult to obtain outside of the United States.  I'm not saying they can't be done, but I've had to do one once (I'm in Canada) and I had to do a lot of pushing with my card issuer, and this was in the days of Billpoint where the "buyer protection" for not-received items was to file a chargeback.

Message 11 of 48
latest reply

Given all the discussion regarding FF's, which the GSP basically is, I find this interesting. So even with the GSP the seller is still on the hook, for the most part, for delivery to the final destination and the eBay MBG still applies to receipt of items that were damaged in shipping or not as described. 

Message 12 of 48
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

So even with the GSP the seller is still on the hook, for the most part, for delivery to the final destination and the eBay MBG still applies to receipt of items that were damaged in shipping or not as described. 

If the buyer files a case on eBay, all the seller protections for broken item and lost in transit still apply.

If the buyer goes to their card, nothing on eBay applies.  A card chargeback is completely out of eBay's hands, same as it is on any third party selling venue. Once that chargeback is started, the buyer is guaranteed to win 99.99999% of the time.

Credit cards are the most merchant unfriendly payment method there is.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 13 of 48
latest reply

I'm failing to see your point, here. I think the difference between eBay seller protections versus credit card chargeback criteria has been pretty clearly delineated by several posters.

Credit card issuer chargeback decisions trump eBay seller protections on every transaction, in every way, under all circumstances. Period.

Message 14 of 48
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

If the buyer goes to their card, nothing on eBay applies.  A card chargeback is completely out of eBay's hands, same as it is on any third party selling venue. Once that chargeback is started, the buyer is guaranteed to win 99.99999% of the time.

In the unlikely event of an INR chargeback from an international buyer, couldn't the seller then file an appeal pointing out how they adhered to the procedure for protection against "payment disputes" by showing delivery to the transaction address?

Message 15 of 48
latest reply