cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting phone call from eBay customer service rep . . .

Unfortunately, I was in the middle of something when an eBay rep called my home. Since I didn't answer, he left a voice message. He wanted to discuss whether I was aware of the new seller update unleashed today and whether I had any questions. 

I thought the call was interesting for at least three reasons:

1. I've never had a call from eBay in the 22 years I've been registered with them.
  2. I have no selling accounts.
  3. eBay can hire people for marketing calls but not customer service (even though I know the training involved is dramatically different).
Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

If you have an eBay account it is for both buying and selling.

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

yep........we got one also.........we asked about the Promoted Listing Credit thing.......Rep was dumbfounded......as he said, they had been over the thing with a fine tooth comb and no one had noticed the lack of information.  He called back and said it was a mistake........shouldn't have been in there........

I give them credit for the outreach and response.........   but say again, it pays to have a seller look a these things.......it was the first thing I looked for information on.....

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Sounds like possibly a phishing call if you did not solicited the call. It is possible a eBay rep read something you posted in the forum and  decided to reach out i order to help you and go the extra mile. I would say this if you have not asked for a call from eBay I would be cautious about answering any verification questions just in case it is some kind of phishing call.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

No verification was asked for in the call.

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

@redmodelt wrote:

If you have an eBay account it is for both buying and selling.

I should have phrased it differently for you: I do not sell, nor have I ever sold, on any of my accounts.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

Was it a Utah number? I had a phone call from Utah this morning. Not recognizing the number, I didn't answer.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 7 of 22
latest reply

southern---That was ebay. I got the call on my cell phone...They were just calling people to let them know about the Fall Seller Update and get opinions. Not a marketing call, not a scam. But, like you, I didn't recognize the number, so I didn't answer. They called my home phone a couple minutes later and I did answer.

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

You and the other commenters who got phone calls each have over 10K Helpfuls on the Community Board. I'm right behind you at 82.

Message 9 of 22
latest reply

I would say that it is nice for eBay to reach out for an unsolicited chit-chat about the latest announcement, but when you read on these boards that both sellers and buyers are desperately trying to reach Customer Service, sometimes with serious problems, and it takes hours to reach someone - then I think someone should seriously consider redirecting those representatives for better use elsewhere!  Who is setting these priorities?

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

heh, all these years and Ebay has never called me!

And what's weird...about 15 minutes before that call, I got a call on my home phone spamming me about my car warranty about to expire. I get those all the freakin' time. My truck is 19 years old, my warranty is long deceased lol

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 11 of 22
latest reply

Hmmm Utah is having high winds and some issues just like us in Nevada..area code up there is 801 and I couldn't even contact my credit union via phone in Ogden UT because of it. Those ebay calls are weird?

Message 12 of 22
latest reply

Oh well that makes sense now...it was ebay. They sent me a survey yesterday on the forum and I completed it, I should have been called because I still have that crazy red bell with 101...gotta count for something right?

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

The eBay callers could be anywhere, I guess, if they use number-spoofing apps to make it appear as though the rep is in Utah (not in a "bad" way). I know they have a customer rep/call center there.

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea wrote:

heh, all these years and Ebay has never called me!

And what's weird...about 15 minutes before that call, I got a call on my home phone spamming me about my car warranty about to expire. I get those all the freakin' time. My truck is 19 years old, my warranty is long deceased lol

I get those auto warranty scammers calling all the time too. I block their numbers but they must have a hundred or more numbers. I "refuse" and block any out-of-state calls I don't recognize, sometimes I do a search online for the number. If a message was left claiming that they were from ebay, I would block that number as well! I don't need more spamming from ebay. But that's just me. Once, I did answer and I told them I was in the middle of something and told them I would call back, they refused, I hung up.

-------------
Posting ID
Message 15 of 22
latest reply