cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In 2021 eBay will no longer allow the sale or purchase of Coins, Motor Vehicles, or Bullion

Managed Payments is to be fully implemented by 2021 requiring ALL Sellers to be enrolled. Among several Items that will NOT be allowed in te Managed Payment System, are, Coins & Paper Money, Motor Vehicles, and Bullion. Obviously, if sellers can't sell them, then there won'tbe any listed to purchase.... Dahh!

Message 1 of 259
latest reply
258 REPLIES 258

In 2021 eBay will no longer allow the sale or purchase of Coins, Motor Vehicles, or Bullion

I've been wondering how eBay will handle this- will they abandon these categories? Split off any category to a new site or sell it?

https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/managed-payments-restricted-items-policy?id=5009

Managed payments restricted items policy

Sellers enrolled in managed payments are not allowed to list the following items:

• Adult only items, including movies and video games
  • Airline, rail, and cruise tickets
  • Auction services
  • Bullion
  • Coins & paper money
  • Event tickets
  • Gift cards & coupons
  • Lodging, timeshares, vacation packages, and car rentals
  • Memberships for campground and RV parks
  • Motor vehicles
  • Wine

Listings that don't follow these rules may be removed from the site or from search results. Other actions we may take include lowering a seller's rating, charging additional fees, limiting buying and selling privileges, or suspending an account.

Why does eBay have this policy?

We work with external payments processors to manage payments on eBay, and these processors have their own restrictions on what items can be sold. As a result, sellers participating in managed payments have additional restrictions on the items they can list.

Message 2 of 259
latest reply

I already quit selling here and closed my selling account last year.  If they do away with coins, paper money, and bullion, I will close my buying account as well.

Message 3 of 259
latest reply

These categories can remain & payment from outside of the managed payment system.

Message 4 of 259
latest reply

@ed8108 wrote:

These categories can remain & payment from outside of the managed payment system.

But, according to policy, sellers cannot even list those items so there won't be anything to buy.   Even if the items were permitted, how would payment outside of Adyen work?   I don't think it would.

Message 5 of 259
latest reply

@alcoforever wrote:

@ed8108 wrote:

But, according to policy, sellers cannot even list those items so there won't be anything to buy.   Even if the items were permitted, how would payment outside of Adyen work?   I don't think it would.

You would not be able to list them as Managed payments items. But that would not necessarily mean you cant list them at all. They could still be allowed using merchant credit card accounts or cash for Local pickup, ect. I think its a little premature to read into it that those entire categories are simply going to go away.

Message 6 of 259
latest reply

@alcoforever wrote:

@ed8108 wrote:

I am wondering that too because the policy says;

"Sellers enrolled in managed payments are not allowed to list the following items..."

and goes on to say that sellers will be punished for listing such things. Seems pretty clear that if you list, you get sanctions or banned.

What kind of doltish policy is this?

Eliminating coin, gold and silver coin, and paper money collectables sellers?

Mismanaged payments?

-------------
Posting ID
Message 7 of 259
latest reply

Just more of eBay stepping over the dollars to pick up the pennies.

Message 8 of 259
latest reply

@itsjustasprain wrote:

@alcoforever wrote:

@ed8108 wrote:

You would not be able to list them as Managed payments items. But that would not necessarily mean you cant list them at all. They could still be allowed using merchant credit card accounts or cash for Local pickup, ect. I think its a little premature to read into it that those entire categories are simply going to go away.

I agree - knocking out those categories completely would be foolish as they're significant revenue producers.  I suspect eBay will have an alternate payment system for these if, for example, Adyen cannot process the money, but it's better to get that information from eBay rather than speculate.  Perhaps one of the mods here can weigh in on this issue.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 9 of 259
latest reply

@Anonymous 

Are these categories going to be completely eliminated? Can they be listed and accept  another form of payment?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 10 of 259
latest reply

I moved 6 figures worth of coin sales a year to another platform. The fees ebay charges in the coin category are absurd when combined with paypals fees at over 10% combined. I cant imagine how much revenue is lost at 100% because of sellers like me moving on. The idea they would purposely get rid of coin and bullion listings at this absurd profit % is crazy.
Message 11 of 259
latest reply

"They could still be allowed using merchant credit card accounts or cash for Local pickup, ect."

I thought merchant accounts were no longer allowed on Ebay?

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 12 of 259
latest reply

I think its a little premature to read into it that those entire categories are simply going to go away.

The venue has currently about 20,000~ sellers enrolled in the Managed Payments program out of 25,000,000~ sellers.

That amounts to less then 0.08% of the current seller population.

it seems that "Premature" would be the right word to describe the whole MP transition deadlines and performance in general, with or without the current category exclusions, 2021 or after.

Message 13 of 259
latest reply

I thought merchant accounts were no longer allowed on Ebay?

You would be correct.   As the policy reads now, once you are in MPayments, you are no longer allowed to list those items at all. Since everyone will be "in",  it truly looks like they won't be posted here anymore. 

Message 14 of 259
latest reply

@itsjustasprain wrote:

@alcoforever wrote:

@ed8108 wrote:

Since all monies are processed through Managed Payments - to ebay, then to the seller's bank account - how then will a buyer been able to buy outside of managed payments AND the seller be able to accept payment through Managed Payments? 

As someone pointed out elsewhere, Etsy has Adyen for a payment processor and silver coins can be purchased there, so it would seem that it is ebay that is making the decision, not Adyen.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 15 of 259
latest reply