cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impressions

I was curious on how any sellers get more external site views than organic? I often have days where i get more external views than what ebay provides through its traffic.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Impressions

@cobrastrike-sales wrote:

I was curious on how any sellers get more external site views than organic? I often have days where i get more external views than what ebay provides through its traffic.

Saw that recently on one of our reports as well.  Wondered if a) that was a glitch and b) where the external views are coming from?

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Impressions

Never had more but have been working lately to try and drive more external traffic.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Impressions

no, my organic is always much higher than my external.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Impressions

@cobrastrike-sales  If you use Promoted Listings Standard, those are now also promoted externally on Google and other search engines by default, which could be at least a factor in your external views exceeding organic (on eBay only) views.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Announcements/Announcing-external-Promoted-Listings-Another-way-to-con...

If you don't use external Promoted Listings, then feel free to ignore everything else I'm about to type. 😉 

The issue I see is the charts on the traffic page still split out Organic/Promoted/External as if Promoted and External can only be mutually exclusive things.

Trafficgraph1-2.jpg

That made sense when Promoted Listings could only be shown internally across eBay but now that they may also be shown externally as well, it's not clear exactly how eBay handles  External Promoted Listings on this graph - are they included in the Promoted numbers or External numbers?

I've asked this question both here and directly to some contacts in the eBay ads department and never really got a clear answer except that they are planning to update this page "in the coming months."

It's also possible that additional external traffic could be coming to your listings if eBay is ramping up their own external ad spend for the holidays or if you sell items that eBay Partner Network affiliates might be more likely to link to and promote during this time of year.

There isn't any way I know of to get really granular and see *exactly* where traffic is coming from, but there should be a link on the Traffic page that says Download Active Listings Traffic Report. That report will break it down and at least show you if the external traffic is coming from PLS or not.

plreport.jpg

Message 5 of 5
latest reply