cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

INR...but it’s at the local post office

I received notification tonight that a buyer opened a request because they hadn’t received their item.

I noticed that delivery was attempted 5 days ago, but said “Receptacle Full/Item Oversized”. They live in an apt, so I figured they would go pick it up.

The buyer was nice in his message, but stated that he left the slip and the post office still hasn’t delivered.

I kindly let him know to attempt to contact his local post office by phone or in person to get this situated, as there is nothing I can do on my end at the moment. I even re-uploaded tracking and quoted a blurb from Usps.com

What I’m confused about is WHY open a case against me when it’s sitting at the local post office? I’m not going to refund his money only for him to go pick it up!

Should I call eBay about this tomorrow? I haven’t heard back from him, but am baffled about the opening of a case versus sending me a regular message 🤦🏻‍♀️

Message 1 of 51
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@call_me_caro wrote:
If this should be in the shipping forum, I apologize. It’s late and I’m tired!

@call_me_caro

You can post this question here:)

As mention call ebay have them read the message you sent the buyer to go pick up their package.

Ask to have the INR closed in your favor while on the phone.

The buyer needs to take some action and responsibility.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 9 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Message 2 of 51
latest reply

My first guess is to reply ot the case immediately with the tracking info and reassure them that you are going to do everythign possible to get this package to them. (Copy and paste the latest tracking info with the date etc.)

Inform them the post office attempted to deliver but found no safe place to deliver.
And that if they dont pick it up or arrange to pick it up, package will be returned to you and you will refund their money once they deliver it back to you.

Not sure customer service will be much help, and most of the time any info they give you is incorrect.

Find the phone number for their local post office (via zip code/city) and forward that number  to the buyer and have them leave delivery instructions... like "ok to leave at the door". Be courteous and professional, this usually gets you along further. 

Make sure to take notes with dates/times and only communicate with them via ebay messages.

Lets see if we can get other opinions from other members.

Just a humble seller.
Message 3 of 51
latest reply

Get it on eBays radar, just in case.  Call CS in the morning hours and hangup if they don't speak clear English.  Request up front that they supply you with a transcription of the call and then explain the issue.  Not saying this is the case,  but It is possible that the buyer could try to string this out until eBay forces a refund and THEN go pick up the package.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 4 of 51
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

Get it on eBays radar, just in case.  Call CS in the morning hours and hangup if they don't speak clear English.  Request up front that they supply you with a transcription of the call and then explain the issue.  Not saying this is the case,  but It is possible that the buyer could try to string this out until eBay forces a refund and THEN go pick up the package.

Yup- the domestic version of a customs hanger.

Make sure the rep understands that the PO attempted delivery but the receptacle was full. It's the buyer's responsibility to provide an accessible,  secure place to receive his mail.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 5 of 51
latest reply

Call the buyer's PO and ask what their local procedure is on how long they will hold a package like this.  Maybe even mention the concern that the buyer may be playing the retrieve after refund game.  Express that you may want the package returned to you.

How much money are we talking about here?

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 6 of 51
latest reply

We're not talking about the phone, are we?

If so, that's a prime scam magnet and one where this exact situation is often played out.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 7 of 51
latest reply

You should call eBay and have the case closed in your favor. The buyer is supposed to supply a safe delivery place and they did not. Do not escalate unless you know they will close in your favor. That does not mean it is over, just that THIS case is closed. If it is an expensive item you may have to get it retrieved. I have never done that but it costs. 

If you are going to call I would wait as long as possible. The item will be returned but it takes 5-15 days.

If it is a scam it goes like this. The ask for pick-up at the Post Office, they file a claim as soon as they can. When the case closes they go pick it up quickly.

I would stop contacting the buyer. They have all the info they need. They may try to stakll past the case date.

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 8 of 51
latest reply

@call_me_caro wrote:

@call_me_caro

You can post this question here:)

As mention call ebay have them read the message you sent the buyer to go pick up their package.

Ask to have the INR closed in your favor while on the phone.

The buyer needs to take some action and responsibility.

Message 9 of 51
latest reply

Check the buyers address on Google maps and see if it is an apartment or a home or a mail drop.

If in fact it is an apartment, the buyers PO box might have been full if, if the person travels or maybe in the hospital.... it happens. Yeah, I'm being considerate, how unusual......

If I get called  out of town on a project, I revise my listings to say "I will be gone. Do not pay for purchased items until I invoice you showing I am now back in three or four days".   You can write this message in "Drive", then copy and paste to listings that are ending during that time.

Tell the buyer he or she should get on their Schwinn Banana Bike and go to the Post Office to get the package. 

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 10 of 51
latest reply

@call_me_caro wrote:

I received notification tonight that a buyer opened a request because they hadn’t received their item.

I noticed that delivery was attempted 5 days ago, but said “Receptacle Full/Item Oversized”. They live in an apt, so I figured they would go pick it up.

The buyer was nice in his message, but stated that he left the slip and the post office still hasn’t delivered.

I kindly let him know to attempt to contact his local post office by phone or in person to get this situated, as there is nothing I can do on my end at the moment. I even re-uploaded tracking and quoted a blurb from Usps.com

What I’m confused about is WHY open a case against me when it’s sitting at the local post office? I’m not going to refund his money only for him to go pick it up!

Should I call eBay about this tomorrow? I haven’t heard back from him, but am baffled about the opening of a case versus sending me a regular message 🤦🏻‍♀️

OP some buyers are more clever than we give them credit for.   You buyer might have believed you would not timely respond to the INR case and then eBay would leap in an refund their money then "very" shortly thereafter they would have found the will to go pick up the package..................so they get refunded and they get to keep your "gifts." Smiley Mad

The name of this game is to keep on your toes!!!!!

Message 11 of 51
latest reply

Thanks, everyone! The item is a vintage vase that I sold for $10. I will give CS a call today and keep detailed records of everything.

Message 12 of 51
latest reply

@call_me_caro wrote:

Thanks, everyone! The item is a vintage vase that I sold for $10. I will give CS a call today and keep detailed records of everything.

If it is a $10 vase I would get the case closed but not sweat it too much.

Prov 20:14 It is naught, it is naught, saith the buyer: but when he is gone his way, then he boasteth.
Message 13 of 51
latest reply

@siayan wrote:

@call_me_caro wrote:

If it is a $10 vase I would get the case closed but not sweat it too much.

...and I suspect that it was in a large-enough box that the carrier couldn't find any safe place to leave it, hence the pickup notice was left instead. I agree that given the item in question, we're probably not looking at a scam attempt here, maybe just a muddleheaded buyer.

Message 14 of 51
latest reply

Call Ebay and request an extension, as it is sitting at the buyer's PO and they need to go pick it up.

Message 15 of 51
latest reply