cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you explain this USPS tracking debacle?

Shipment was to my daughter, who helped on her end.  Tracking showed USPS delivered on Sat., the 13th, but D said she didn't get the package.  She called her post office today and they told her they were able to see that " the truck was no where near her house at the time tracking showed delivered. "   They told her they would contact her carrier and that,  if she didn't receive the package today, she was to call another phone number, that she understood to be that of her mail carrier.  Within an hour, the package showed up at her house. 

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Re: How do you explain this USPS tracking debacle?

The PO has a GPS tracking system to know where it was delivered.   They went and fetched it for you, great service but they had to be kicked.

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

glad they got the package: Mess up on what they scanned maybe or delivered to wrong address etc....

At least it was scanned and able to recover it.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Just before Christmas, hubs went to the mailbox ( we all have those postal lock boxes at the ends of our street) there on the ground was 2 large packages just sitting there out in the open. Hubs looked at address and it was our disabled neighbor ( who is a doctor) and he took it over to her.

She called our local post office and made a complaint. Haven't seen that carrier since but what do ya do?

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@tamaralea 

Curiouser and curiouser... 🤔

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

So they went to another location, not in her area, knocked on the door, and said, "Give that package back!"?  And the person complied, so they could deliver it to my D an hour later?

I don't buy that.  The post office must have had it in their possession, even though they marked it as delivered.  That is the only way I could see it being delivered so fast.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

What I get from your story is the mail carrier may have done some shady delivering in the past, and the Post Master at that station is aware of the mail carrier not being exactly up to par on his/her delivery procedures.  Sounds like the Post Master (or whomever you spoke to) contacted the mail carrier and told him/her to get that package to the addressee pronto or your outta here!

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

It was probably still in the wrong box that they delivered it to or that person put it back in with the flag up. Anyway it way it happens all the time. It happened to me twice and the PM called the carrier on his cell phone and sent him to grab the package and bring it to me. It took about an hour both times.

I had heard they had GPS on their scanning devices and that experience confirmed it.

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

@tamaralea wrote:

So they went to another location, not in her area, knocked on the door, and said, "Give that package back!"?  And the person complied, so they could deliver it to my D an hour later?

I don't buy that.  The post office must have had it in their possession, even though they marked it as delivered.  That is the only way I could see it being delivered so fast.

I had a package a couple years ago that it was scanned as delivered.

Called the PO and my carrier went and picked it up and had it back to my house in about 20 minutes.

Have a great day
Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@tamaralea wrote:

Or the person who got it on Saturday put it out for the carrier to pickup today when they realized the package wasn't theirs. The carrier would have delivered to your kid tomorrow, except she called, so the carrier brought it to her as soon as they could head her way.

There are a lot of ways it could have gone down. If you really want to know, then tell your kid to ask the mail carrier next time she sees them.

GLORIOUS!

Confused about the switch to eBay discounted shipping? Read this discussion to make an informed decision about opt in / opt out.
Message 10 of 12
latest reply

I've had packages scanned as delivered that were still on the vehicle, just got forgotten, had them delivered to the wrong house and had to be fetched and just now am dealing with a FedEx issue, says delivered but not to MY house.  Seller (nuts.com) is dragging their feet on a refund and/or replacement.  FedEx says work with the seller.  Arghhh.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

That the USPS hires human beings, and human beings are flawed. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply