cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How best to handle this paypal case?

The buyer purchased something from me earlier this evening, paid for it, then opened a case with PAYPAL a couple hours later claiming that the item was purchased without his/her permission. Ebay indicates that the item has been paid for and to ship, while paypal has put a hold on the funds pending the resolution of the case. Not sure how best to proceed. I did message the buyer, telling him/her to just request to cancel the transaction, and I will approve it. Haven't got a response yet, though it is a little after midnight where the buyer lives and he/she may be asleep. I'm under the impression that if I just outright cancelled the transaction on my own, then I would get a defect.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

To add to my original post, if I responded to the paypal case (via paypal, since it is a paypal case), and refunded the buyer, would ebay be notified and no longer expect me to ship? Would it be a defect if I refunded the buyer by choosing the refund option when responding to the case?

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Await a reply from buyer, but contact ebay for specific guidance & direction to avoid any possible issue forthcoming in this matter from ebay.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Hi, in this case i would go ahead and cancel the sale, using the Buyer Requested reason. If you use the refund option in PayPal, it will notify ebay and get your Final Value Fees back automatically. Although the buyer may not have said the words "please cancel," the customer's intent is clearly to get a refund. This will not trigger a defect.

But what kind of case did the buyer open? It is too soon for an Item Not Received or Item Not as Described case to be open. So i'm assuming it is an Unauthorized Transaction claim?

Here is the link with all the how-to's in regard to cancelling an ebay transaction: 

https://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/cancel-transaction-process.html

Here is the link about a PayPal Unauthorized Transaction claim:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/brc/disputes-claims-chargebacks-and-bank-reversals#claim

I hope this info can assist you. Good luck.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

No defect, just cancel by the reason "buyer wanted to cancel". Buyer(s) in this case, maybe one person changing their mind or arguments between 2 people(husband&wife or mother & daughter etc), but in result, they are holding back the fund which is the only reason why you should proceed with shipping to complete the transaction. If they are doing this to trick you, you might want to block this buyer.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

fashunu4eeuh, to make sure I understand you, I should cancel the sale through ebay (citing buyer requested), and then respond to the paypal case by choosing "I've already refunded the buyer" option?
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

fashunu4eeuh, to make sure I understand you, I should cancel the sale through ebay (citing buyer requested), and then respond to the paypal case by choosing "I've already refunded the buyer" option?

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

I just tried to cancel the order through ebay (citing buyer requested), and got a message stating that the order could not be canceled because there is a pending case in paypal. Evidently paypal cases are linked to ebay transactions. If I end the paypal case by refunding the buyer, will ebay get notified and no longer expect me to ship?

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@fabreedwar wrote:

I just tried to cancel the order through ebay (citing buyer requested), and got a message stating that the order could not be canceled because there is a pending case in paypal. Evidently paypal cases are linked to ebay transactions. If I end the paypal case by refunding the buyer, will ebay get notified and no longer expect me to ship?

I believe that would be correct, and it is really your only option at this point.  eBay doesn't expect you to ship if you've refunded the buyer. 

----------------------------
Successful and experienced seller since 1997, over 70,000 feedback, boardie since the boards were begun.
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

I just closed the case in paypal by refunding the buyer. Ebay still has the "Print Shipping Label" next to the transaction in my MyEbay. I could probably cancel the transaction now, citing buyer requested, but I'm leery of doing that...if ebay is only aware that the case in paypal is closed, but not aware of the specifics of the resolution, might they refund the buyer as they usually do when a transaction is cancelled, and hence I end up refunding the buyer twice?
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

You WERE protected against unauthorized transaction through PayPal's seller protection. I would have shipped it myself and kept the money, but that's me. Now it's a moot point. Hopefully you don't end up with a defect for OOS.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@fabreedwar wrote:
I just closed the case in paypal by refunding the buyer. Ebay still has the "Print Shipping Label" next to the transaction in my MyEbay. I could probably cancel the transaction now, citing buyer requested, but I'm leery of doing that...if ebay is only aware that the case in paypal is closed, but not aware of the specifics of the resolution, might they refund the buyer as they usually do when a transaction is cancelled, and hence I end up refunding the buyer twice?

Yes, just cancel on eBay. Ebay will not initiate a refund automatically while you've already done that.

Lots of sellers refund first via Paypal and cancel on eBay afterwards.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Just went to my selling account id to cancel the transaction, and there was a "Suspicious buyer for item" message waiting for me, recommending the following:

We recommend you take the following actions if this buyer won the item:
- If you haven't received payment, don't complete the sale or send the item to the buyer.
- Don't communicate with the buyer directly.
- Verify any payments you've been notified of by logging into your PayPal account (or other online payment service).
- If the buyer requests a refund or additional payments, don't send any money without contacting eBay first.
- If you've already sent the item, try contacting the shipping carrier to find out if you can stop shipment.

Also, the buyer is no longer registered with ebay. Unfortunately, I did contact the buyer via ebay messaging, but I suppose no harm can come from that.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Is this another item, another buyer? Confusing.

Why did you contact this buyer? Ebay is after buyers and sellers who arrange off eBay sales. Bots are scanning the messages with keywords.

For your own sake, it is good to use eBay messaging only. That is what eBay wants you to.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

No it was the same item. After the buyer opened a case in paypal, I messaged him/her via ebay to submit a cancellation request and I would approve it. He/she never responded so I closed the case with paypal by refunding the buyer. Then a couple hours later I received the suspicious buyer message from ebay.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply