cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Many Unpaid Items Can One Buyer Have Before eBay Bans Them??

4 days ago, a buyer placed a bid on an item several minutes before it ended. As of now, this buyer has still not paid. I opened an Unpaid Item Claim yesterday. I decided to look at his Feedback. Since this person is mainly a buyer, he has 100% Feedback. But after looking closer and going through all of his Feedback since joining eBay in April of 2012, I counted no less than 36 Positive Feedbacks that were actually a Negative/Warning due to failure to pay for an item. I also saw many other slow pay comments posted as Positive as well. This begs the question......Why is this guy still allowed on eBay??? How many UPI's can one account have before being shut down??? This also brings up the constant issue of why sellers cannot leave true and accurate Feedback for deadbeats such as this. I have no doubt that I will end up closing the claim without being paid. And my only recourse is blocking the bidder from future purchases. Feedback is a joke in cases like this. A newbie buyer can give a long time seller a neutral or negative for something that is totally out of a sellers control (International Shipping Costs for example) yet we as sellers cannot do anything to warn other sellers of deadbeats that do not pay. eBay is becoming a  bigger and bigger joke by the day.  

Message 1 of 41
latest reply
40 REPLIES 40

How many grains of sand on a beach?

Message 2 of 41
latest reply

@vwbus78 You really should set up your preferences that will prohibit buyers with 2 closed UPI's without pay from bidding or buying your items.  That will elimiate you from being tangled up with a 'bad buyer'.  

As far as how many closed without pay UPI's a "buyer" has until eBay bans them, I really don't know.  But if all those other sellers set their preferences correctly this "buyer" wouldn't be able to bid/buy from them.  It's really your best recourse.

Happy 2018! May this upcoming year be a prosperous one!
Message 3 of 41
latest reply

@vwbus78 wrote:
 ... I counted no less than 36 Positive Feedbacks that were actually a Negative/Warning due to failure to pay for an item.... we as sellers cannot do anything to warn other sellers of deadbeats that do not pay. eBay is becoming a  bigger and bigger joke by the day.  

If those 36 sellers were able to give him feedback, then that's proof that they did NOT give him nonpayment strikes.  When an unpaid item claim is closed, both parties are blocked from leaving feedback and (theoretically at least) any feedback already left would be removed. So those sellers are part of the problem.

As noted in another post, you can block bidders with as little as 2 unpaid item claims in the past year.

Message 4 of 41
latest reply

I decided to look at his Feedback. 

DO set your block to 2 UIDs in the last 12 months.

DO file the UID.

do NOT imagine feedback as being part of unpaid item equation.

Message 5 of 41
latest reply

Urban legend says it used to be 3 but that's obviously no longer the case (if it ever was). eBay's stance is that ANY buyer is a good buyer, even the 'bad ones'.

On some other sites (like GW auctions), once you have a small amount of unpaid or "overdue" payments they stop you bidding altogether until they're paid for.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 6 of 41
latest reply

There definitely used to be a "3 strikes and you're out" policy, though actually it was 4 because if you called up they'd remove the first one.  The policy disappeared from Help pages shortly after eBay introduced the option to block bidders/buyers based on the number of strikes received.

Message 7 of 41
latest reply

@partial*eclipse wrote:

@vwbus78 wrote:
 ... I counted no less than 36 Positive Feedbacks that were actually a Negative/Warning due to failure to pay for an item.... we as sellers cannot do anything to warn other sellers of deadbeats that do not pay. eBay is becoming a  bigger and bigger joke by the day.  

If those 36 sellers were able to give him feedback, then that's proof that they did NOT give him nonpayment strikes.  When an unpaid item claim is closed, both parties are blocked from leaving feedback and (theoretically at least) any feedback already left would be removed. So those sellers are part of the problem.

As noted in another post, you can block bidders with as little as 2 unpaid item claims in the past year.

While what you say is true and very likely that all those sellers did not file a UID when they should have.  But if the seller leaves FB just before they close the UID for non payment, the FB will stick.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 8 of 41
latest reply

@lookng2015 wrote:
Urban legend says it used to be 3 but that's obviously no longer the case (if it ever was). eBay's stance is that ANY buyer is a good buyer, even the 'bad ones'.

On some other sites (like GW auctions), once you have a small amount of unpaid or "overdue" payments they stop you bidding altogether until they're paid for.

It isn't "urban legend".  That use to be the rule.   Now the rule is a mystery!!!

Message 9 of 41
latest reply

0012 Crystalball.gif

What do I win???

~Pika~
People in life that are the happiest don't have the most,, they make the most of what they have...

Message 10 of 41
latest reply

But if the sellers filed uids and the op had their blocks set it would not be a problem.

btw we have seen sellers with suspensions for leaving negative positives. Also if they are willing to break ebay rules to retaliate they are possibly willing to rip me off. Rule breakers are unethical so many good buyers will not buy from them.

Message 11 of 41
latest reply

@the*dog*ate*my*tablecloth wrote:

But if the sellers filed uids and the op had their blocks set it would not be a problem.

btw we have seen sellers with suspensions for leaving negative positives. Also if they are willing to break ebay rules to retaliate they are possibly willing to rip me off. Rule breakers are unethical so many good buyers will not buy from them.

While the problem would persist, you are absolutely correct.  If sellers would follow two simple rules.  

1.  Set your Buyer Requirements to block buyers with a minimum of 2 unpaid strikes in the past 12 months.

2.  File UIDs when appropriate and follow through with closing them if payment does not arrive.

If ALL sellers would do that, we could cut down on non paying buyers SIGNIFICANTLY !!!

Message 12 of 41
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@lookng2015 wrote:

It isn't "urban legend".  That use to be the rule.   Now the rule is a mystery!!!

It very well MAY have been the "rule". But can nanyone prove it was enforced? Because I very much doubt it was.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 13 of 41
latest reply

@lookng2015 wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@lookng2015 wrote:

It very well MAY have been the "rule". But can nanyone prove it was enforced? Because I very much doubt it was.

Well yes, back in the day I could.  I know they did from experience.  So since I lived through it, I know it to be a fact.  Because you have no personal experience with it does not make it untrue, it simply means you have no experience with it, nothing more.

And why, after all these years, would anyone hang on to "proof" that would make you feel better about the subject or to prove to you that it happened?!?!?!  Either you believe those that experienced it or your don't.  Simply your choice.  It really doesn't matter anyway.  This was a long time ago and has no bearing now at all.

Message 14 of 41
latest reply

lookng2015 wrote:... It very well MAY have been the "rule". But can nanyone prove it was enforced? Because I very much doubt it was.

It happened automatically when that third strike went onto your account. There were plenty of discussion board threads from dismayed members who had gotten suspended because of it.  

Message 15 of 41
latest reply