cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do I Get My Money Without Giving Out My SSN?

Hello all, I was wondering how  I get my money now that they have prevented me from receiving it unless I give them my SSN? I do not trust this site as it has had many, many data breaches in the past and I do not want to have to get into a lawsuit with these people and I also have a feeling that they will throw their hands up and not take responsibility for their actions of forcing me to give them my social security and I will thus lose the case if I start one. I honest-to-God need this money as this is my only form of income and I am too immunocompromised and tangled up in school to be able to get a job. How do I resolve this issue without serious damage to my future financial wellbeing?

Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

If you do not want to sign up for MP then , well you don't get paid and cannot sell 

Plain and simple 

Message 2 of 26
latest reply

azh-71
Thrill-Seeker

If you don't trust this site with your SSN you can't sell here.  And why would you want to if you don't trust it?

Message 3 of 26
latest reply

Sorry to hear about your health issues but if you want to continue selling on EBAY you must join MANAGED PAYMENTS.

You will need to provide CHECKING ACCOUNT routing# and SOCIAL SECURITY# (for tax purposes). Names must be EXACT MATCH on your checking account, social security and EBAY profile page. If names don't match EXACTLY your application will be rejected and you will be required to provide additional information.

With MANAGED PAYMENTS money is deposited into your CHECKING ACCOUNT 3-5 days after sale. EBAY deducts shipping & Ebay SELLING FEES (whatever is leftover deposited in your CHECKING ACCOUNT).

Because money no longer goes into your PAY PAL account..you need to change PRINTING SHIPPING LABELS and Monthly Statement (LISTING FEES) to Managed Payments.   Next time you print label (go to bottom of page) and click on box to change to Managed Payments.   You need to also change default for Monthly Statement to Managed Payments.

MP is completely different from PayPal. With MP deposits are (NET AMOUNT after shipping & fees deducted). Sometimes one sale will get processed faster than another (possible to get PAYOUT for Wednesday sale BEFORE sale made on Monday). PAYOUT will also lump together sales from different days. Can be very unpredictable and confusing.

Message 4 of 26
latest reply

They need you SSN for tax purposes

Message 5 of 26
latest reply

The breeches I've been involved with all have been Paypal. 

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 6 of 26
latest reply

how  I get my money now that they have prevented me from receiving it 

If ebay switched you over and are accepting Managed Payments funds without you completing the sign up requirements you will likely have to consult an attorney.  I don't know the ramifications of holding your money hostage (forever) if you choose not to comply. 

Message 7 of 26
latest reply

@jobi_330 wrote:

Hello all, I was wondering how  I get my money now that they have prevented me from receiving it unless I give them my SSN? I do not trust this site as it has had many, many data breaches in the past and I do not want to have to get into a lawsuit with these people and I also have a feeling that they will throw their hands up and not take responsibility for their actions of forcing me to give them my social security and I will thus lose the case if I start one. I honest-to-God need this money as this is my only form of income and I am too immunocompromised and tangled up in school to be able to get a job. How do I resolve this issue without serious damage to my future financial wellbeing?

I think you may be listening to gossip and not the facts regarding the site.  A simple Google Search would prove that you are incorrect.  Ebay has NEVER had a breach of personal or financial information as a site.  Ebay was hacked ONCE around March of 2014 and ZERO personal or financial data was lost.  

You are wise to be cautious when giving out such information.  But in this case you haven't got a choice and neither does Ebay.  Ebay is required by both federal law and the IRS rules to have your SSN.  

I'm sorry about your health condition and I completely understand as I am a two time cancer survivor and have a host of issues that put me at high risk, so I stay home too.  

As to school, there is a wealth of classes on endless subject matter available over the internet now.  College accredited too as I have two kid in college.  One going for his bachelor's degree and one for her master's.  

You will need to give them your SSN so that you can get your money moved out to your checking account.  Neither you nor Ebay has a choice in that.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member
Message 8 of 26
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

The breeches I've been involved with all have been Paypal. 

Individual account breaches are totally different from a Site issue.  To my knowledge PP has never been hacked as a site but individual accounts, like happens on Ebay too, have been for a variety of reasons.

I had my PP account hacked back in April of last year.  Pretty scary stuff.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member
Message 9 of 26
latest reply

@jobi_330 

Like the others have said, it is required for MP. About 6 years ago Blue Cross Blue Shield was hacked in Vegas and there's more info on that card than anything on ebay. You just get a separate checking account strictly for ebay, just signed up the other day took me 5 minutes.

Thanks for the memories Tropicana you will be missed
Message 10 of 26
latest reply

I've been in MP since the Fall of 2019. Nothing nefarious is going on... but don't sell here until you're  comfortable.

Message 11 of 26
latest reply

Oh please, the government has had data breaches, most banks have also been breached, and you are worrying about Ebay?

Message 12 of 26
latest reply

When I started selling on Ebay I opened a bank accout just for Ebay business. I wasn't about to let them or no one else into my personal bank account. Everything form paypal and Ebay is run through my  that individual account for those transactions.  Never been in my personal account and won't be! 

Yes they have my SSN#

As Grandpa always said. If you want to open a small business, just open a large one and wait awhile!!!!
Message 13 of 26
latest reply

As explained to me when I was in the process of signing up, if the seller does not have an account set up within MP the funds collected will be turned over to their respective state as unclaimed property. The length of time the funds are held before turning over vary by state, i.e. in KY it's 1 year. You will then need to claim the funds from the state via their process which would include giving your SS#. 

-C

Message 14 of 26
latest reply

Yard sales and flea markets...

Message 15 of 26
latest reply