cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holiday Season Chit-Chat

Hi everyone! Similar to last year we wanted to give everyone a chance to connect with each other over less-directly-eBay things and more holiday stories, traditions, recipes etc. Have fun! Meet someone new! We’re all in this together. 

As always please keep the conversation on topic (which shouldn’t be too hard, it’s a broad one after all 😉) and be respectful of each other. This thread will remain open from 12.20.2021 to 1.7.2022.

Message 1 of 131
latest reply
130 REPLIES 130

Re: Holiday Season Chit-Chat

Rockefellercenter  Xmas treeRockefellercenter Xmas tree

Message 2 of 131
latest reply

krazzykats_0-1640023444612.gif

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 131
latest reply

...used to be our family traditional Christmas celebration with a party of 14 peoples...

...there were an appetite with French breaded asparagus and sweet chicken bacon wraps...then a prime-rib dinner, baked potatoes with all the trims, french dinner rolls, steamed veggies with garlic butter...a crème brulée dessert and chocolate cream pie...guests will have hot chocolate, tasty cranberry drink (alcohol), sodas, water, coffee and tea...this entire menus are homemade from scratch (except sodas and water, coffee and tea)...and it took at least 5 days in preparing, cooking and serving...plus 3 hours of washing dishes and cleaning after all was done and gone...

...the dinner finalized with opening Christmas gifts for everyone...no one will be left out without a gift...

...the traditional was disrupted not because of the national virus but because of family feud during one child's wedding reception back in Spring 2018...since then no one talks to anyone, no kid's birthday party (poor the grand-kids have nothing to do with the adult's matter), no Mother's Day, Father's Day and Thanksgiving gatherings...also no birthday celebration for Mom, Dad, daughter, son, son-in-law, step-mom, step-dad, ex-spouses (and ex-spouse's spouse...how crazy is that...!!!)...

...the head-chef (whom writing) is struggling with the lost, missing the enthusiast in preparing, shopping, wrapping gifts, decorating, cooking, cleaning and washing...tired but happy to see everyone was pleased...

...then sometimes couldn't bear the inconsideration...

...Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to All in God blessings...

(and thank you for reading my painful story...)

Message 4 of 131
latest reply

Did you know Dec 23 is National Christmas Movie Marathon Day?

National Christmas Movie Marathon Day?

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 5 of 131
latest reply

I remember as a kid, we would go to Grandma's house (Dad's mom) for 4th of July and Christmas get togethers. I still remember how much fun they were.

Then Grandma died. We got together about two more years after that and quit.

Grandma was the binding glue that kept us all together.

Mike

Firesteel Surplus

Message 6 of 131
latest reply

Favorite sale for me:  I put this on TikTok.  My mom rescued this Griswold cast iron from her neighbor's garbage.  

Sold for $102.50!Sold for $102.50!

Message 7 of 131
latest reply

I make a lot of gifts to give at Christmas because I love to sew, crochet knit and cook.

I made some homemade toffee to give as a gift to my friends.  It was easy to make and I used dark chocolate chips and added some holiday sprinkles.  Makes a perfect last minute gift!

Here is the recipe I used from a website called Salted Pepper:

Ingredients

• 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup butter salted
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • ½ tsp fine grind sea salt
  • 1 cup milk chocolate chips (or any type of chips you prefer)
  • Holiday Sprinkles (optional)

Instructions

• Measure out all of the ingredients and prep the 9x13 pan by lining it with parchment paper. I usually spritz the pan with a bit of oil to help the parchment stay in place.
  • In a saucepan, add in the butter and sugar and turn on the burner to med. high heat.  Stir occasionally while the butter and sugar are melting.
  • When the butter and sugar begin boiling, you will want to stir constantly. You can decrease your heat if you think you need to, it will just take longer to get to the color and consistency you want.
  • You will see the mixture start to form bigger bubbles and it will turn from a pale yellow to a light tan and then it will begin to thicken and even bigger bubbles and turn a light mocha color. This is how you know it's done. Or you can use a candy thermometer and when it reaches 300°F/149°C it is done.  Remove from heat.
  • Quickly add in the vanilla extract and the salt (if you didn't before). Stir to combine and immediately pour the toffee mixture into your prepared pan.
  • Sprinkle the chocolate chips evenly over the top and cover with foil for 10 minutes. Remove the foil and spread the chocolate evenly over the top of the toffee. Place the pan in the fridge for about 2 hours.
  • Remove and lift the toffee out of the pan using the parchment paper. Break up into pieces and enjoy!

It is important to cool in fridge for only 2 hours.  Once broken apart you can store pieces in airtight containers in the fridge or freezer.

Message 8 of 131
latest reply

Food and football used to be central to my family holidays.  We actually played street football on Thanksgiving which worked up amazing appetites for the afternoon feast.

Now that I use a step counter things have changed.  Oh, there are still recipes to follow but here is an example.

500 Steps = An eggnog sampler

1000 Steps = a 3 cookie sampling from one of the neighbors cookie trays that was dropped off.

1500 steps = One small brownie

2000 steps = One adult beverage of choice.  It's amazing how much people will walk...

3000 steps = A slice of pie.  500 steps to add whip cream

That was the 'before dinner' activities.

5000 steps = A full four course meal with the right to lose count of all of the above.

Subtract 500 steps required for every serving of green vegetables actually swallowed.

Add 200 steps for feeding the dog.  Each time!

Bonus points for tuning a set of crystal water glasses for an impromptu musical event. 8 Glasses required.

If you need cookie or sweet treat recipes they can be found in a book called Sweet Treats.  I have been sending free copies out to some random customers during December.  

Happy Holidays to one and all!

Message 9 of 131
latest reply

Some Christmas trivia for you, from here in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania:

This is the park in the center of the town of Honesdale, PA, and such a winter scene inspired native son Richard Bernhard Smith to write the lyrics for the song "Winter Wonderland" in 1934 (music by Felix Bernard).   He was being treated for tuberculosis at the time, and died of that disease the following year, at the age of 34, on his birthday.   Last month, an historical marker was placed outside Smith's childhood home, across from the park.

66VD5EKVTJBSLOSXJAR5A2U5II.jpg

Photo from the Patriot-News

Sleigh bells ring, are you listening?
In the lane, snow is glistening
A beautiful sight
We're happy tonight
Walking in a winter wonderland

Gone away is the bluebird
Here to stay is a new bird
To sing a love song
While we stroll along

In the meadow, we can build a snowman
We'll pretend that he is Parson Brown
He'll say, are you married?
We'll say, no man
But you can do the job when you're in town

Later on, we'll conspire
As we dream by the fire
To face unafraid
The plans that we've made

Message 10 of 131
latest reply

@maxine*j 

Very nice, heard that song 3 times today while baking and never could figure out what " parson brown" was. So it's the name of a dude? I thought it was some color they wanted the snowman to be...lol!

Thanks Maxine beautiful picture as only Pennsylvania should be in the winter!

Message 11 of 131
latest reply

Capture.JPG

download.jpg

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 12 of 131
latest reply

@bbravo65 

that is so sad that this feud had to tear up your family.

I always reminese about the fun Christmases I used to have with my 1st husband's family.

They were a wild bunch and a big family. The older brothers would dress up like Santa and jump on a snowmobile with a bag full of candy and beer and go around the subdivision and get "shots". Needless to say one year it " got drunk out" and drunk Santa came back and fell in the bathtub, and he stayed there! Oh that costume was so pitiful and Santa was too laying in there. Unfortunately that was the only bathroom in the house at the time so we had to pull the shower curtain closed on Ole Claus.

Message 13 of 131
latest reply

Parson Brown= Rev. Brown, Pastor Brown...

Message 14 of 131
latest reply

@bbravo65 

I was very saddened to read your story. Sounds like your family had grand times together! It's really unfortunate when disagreements get in the way of beautiful traditions. 😢 Sending you heartfelt good wishes.

Kim

Message 15 of 131
latest reply