cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Holiday Season Chit-Chat

Hi everyone! We know this year is going to be a holiday season like no other and we wanted to give everyone a chance to connect with each other over less-directly-ebay things and more holiday stories, traditions, recipes etc. Have fun! Meet someone new! We’re all in this together. 

As always please keep the conversation on topic (which shouldn’t be too hard, it’s a broad one after all 😉) and be respectful of each other. This thread will remain open from 11.25.2020 to 1.6.2021.

Thanks to @dhbookds  for making the suggestion!

Message 1 of 374
latest reply
373 REPLIES 373

Re: Holiday Season Chit-Chat

@silverstatetreasureboxes

I get humming birds dive bombing me all the time out in my yard, especially when I am messing with their feeders.

Message 181 of 374
latest reply

OMG I have so much baking to do based on this thread.

My one and only post ever on that site Medium was a Christmas recipe that a friend asks for every single year. Its not as impressive as everyone else's but it's a hit every year 🙂

Christmas French Toast Casserole

Rebecca Michals

Dec 22, 2016

Every year at Christmas a friend asks me to post my Christmas French Toast Casserole recipe. Here it is.

This is exactly how I do it:

Making the French Toast

1) Grease inside of casserole dish

2) Tear up bread (white or French ideally) into 2-inch sized pieces and place evenly in casserole dish

3) Make a double or triple batch of your usual french toast mixture liquid

4) Pour over bread, using a fork to gently squish the bread all down into the mixture

5) Layer frozen mixed berries over the top OR cut an apple into slices horizontally and place a single layer of apple slices with the cores cut out (it can be fun to use your mini-cookie cutters to remove the cores in a festive shape.)

6) Take your stick of butter out of the freezer and use your cheese grater to grate too much butter on top

7) Swear because you forgot to put on the cinnamon, and then figure it’ll be just as good on top of the butter and sprinkle that on (you may skip if you do the berries, I can never decide if I like the berries and the cinnamon.)

eight) Cover in saran wrap and put in fridge overnight

9) Christmas morning preheat oven to 375, then increase heat to 400, then worry it’ll burn and go back down to 375

10) Take saran wrap off and cover dish with foil

11) Bake 20 min covered with foil (this is when you make the compote)

12) Remove foil and bake 10 minutes

13) Check casserole and remark to your husband how you swear it didn’t take this long last year. Increase oven temp to 400

14) Bake 20 min and then say “s**t!” and run to the kitchen and remove from oven

15) Serve to universal acclaim. Ignore parts burned to bottom of dish.

(Oven temps and cooking times may vary)

Making the Compote

1) Compote is 2ish cups of frozen mixed berries

2) Add lots of sugar but not more than a cup

3) As you go along you can add some water if it isn’t thin enough

4) Stir stir stir over low to medium heat. No boiling!

5) Remove from heat and let cool a bit

6) Strain through your strainer. You kind of have to smoosh it through with the back of a spoon

7) Put in measuring cup because your actual nice little serving pitcher is out in the garden being a bulldozer

eight) Serve slightly warmed to pour over French toast in place of maple syrup.

Rebecca,
Director of eBay Community
Message 182 of 374
latest reply

silverstate...we have almost that identical cookie recipe!  They are sooooooo yum, and freeze really well too.

Message 183 of 374
latest reply

rebecca@ebay 

That is a recipe made for me...S**t is my favorite word when in the kitchen lol

Message 184 of 374
latest reply

I buy the Oreo Peppermint cookies every year and was so bummed to see they didn't make them this year.  My daughter and I are going to work on duplicating those this weekend.  I'll post back if I get close.

Message 185 of 374
latest reply

lol.....@ Rebecca ..........don't know if this will help.....  this "French Toast" is a favorite dinner meal.......one caveat to the orig recipe which calls for an 8X8" pan.......I use a 9 x 13....with perhaps a bit more bread.  This is almost a bread pudding recipe.....where you get custard on the bottom and crisp on the top......and we like more crispy, less custard than the 8x8 produces..... I end up with about 2 layers of torn bread and the wet stuff comes up leaving about 3/4 of the top layer to crisp in the 9 x 13.

Oven to 350

Butter pan

5 cups or somewhat more torn bread cubes.  I freeze cheap bread and cut it while frozen.

4 eggs

1  1/2c milk

4 tablespoons sugar (2 for top, 2 for bottom) Splenda works fine.

1/4 tsp salt

1 tsp vanilla

1 tsp Cinnamon

1 tablespoon butter

Put bread cubes into pan

Beat together eggs/milk 2 TBSP sugar, salt Vanilla, Pour over bread cubes Dot top with butter

Let stand 10 min.

Combine remaining sugar with cinnamon and sprinkle over top.....

Bake for 20-25 min IF using 9 x 13 pan........about 40 min with 8 x 8.  Use a toothpick to check, when it comes out clean....it's done. 

Message 186 of 374
latest reply

@moondogblues..moon doggie, that was my former MIL recipe and she was over 90 when she passed, oh how I loved her! That is a good recipe isn't it?

Message 187 of 374
latest reply

rebecca@ebay. Ahhh Rebecca, Martha Stewart your not...maybe more like Snoop dog in the kitchen? It was enjoyable and sound delish!

Message 188 of 374
latest reply

I decided to take a few days off and take the trailer to our friends place, Double Adobe Campground and Shotgun Sports.   Was just taking an evening walk with my dog when we came upon a young buck in rut.  I love the Arizona desert!

20201205_173516.jpg

Message 189 of 374
latest reply

neat picture!!!  Beautiful Mountains......

Message 190 of 374
latest reply

I collect vintage cookbooks...that's where I found our recipe.  It is sooooo good.

Message 191 of 374
latest reply

Beautiful pic, thanks for sharing!

Message 192 of 374
latest reply

Oh my goodness, this will be on our dessert table for sure.  Huge gratitude for posting

Message 193 of 374
latest reply

You're welcome @nightingalesshop  Enjoy it!

Message 194 of 374
latest reply

It is a pretty universally useful word 😂

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

rebecca@ebay 

That is a recipe made for me...S**t is my favorite word when in the kitchen lol

Rebecca,
Director of eBay Community
Message 195 of 374
latest reply