cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed with a potential scammer!

I had a buyer a few days ago who asked me to send the batch numbers for two of my most expensive RARE cosmetic items I sell on eBay. I am well-aware of scammers targeting such listings, but I thought to give it a chance and, in hindsight, I am very much regretting it. Both items are valued a combined $1,000 or more.

The buyer made a purchase for one of those items and then asked me for pictures of the second item. I sent both. They agreed to purchase both and then requested cancellation for the first item (prior to me shipping it), so I canceled the transaction even though PayPal does not refund the seller fees. 

Then, they changed their mind and requested purchase on the same item. I, being the "nice" seller who shouldn't be nice anymore, accepted. I shipped both items then. Later, the buyer apparently "accidentally" made a purchase for two other high-valued items but asked me to cancel the transaction via a cancellation request, which I accepted. At this point, I am out of upto a $80 in PayPal fees that aren't refunded, thinking that maybe this will all be made up in the transaction of the two items I sold.

And today, the buyer received the items in mail. They immediately started a returns request for "changed my mind" simply stating: 

hi, as per instructions on the auction page i'd like to request a return RMA number for the [PRODUCT], as well as the [PRODUCT]. please let me know the numbers/details and I will get these sent back/returned. thank you

I know I have no choice but to accept the returns request and I did so. The buyer was meticulous when purchasing the item, they literally asked me for every single batch number and item number on the rare cosmetic itself. Also, by the way, the buyer has "private feedback." I immediately thought about calling eBay and letting them know I suspect receiving a DIFFERENT item than the one I sold, but I am not sure if it's worth it until I receive the items back.

I did message back the buyer letting them know I have monitored and surveilled the item's shipment and any item to defraud will result in reporting to authorities and FBI's internet crimes complaint center.  But, at this point, and even after, what can I do? Am I potentially out of a thousand bucks? Please help!

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

Re: Help needed with a potential scammer!

@bubbles1234567 

"Am I potentially out of a thousand bucks?"

Well, yes... potentially.

As requested by the buyer, "Changed my mind" is a remorse return. So you can short the postage from the refund. You'll also be refunded eBay's FVFs after the return is completed.

Hopefully the buyer will return your item to you. I find that if something sells once, it will again. So, potentially (and after some time and frustration) you may wind up with a good sale.

Sorry this happened to you. Don't beat yourself up... you learned from it. 

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

bubbles...it does sound like a scam..but I just really have to ask? What does these 2 cosmetics that are rare look like? Who makes them? What are they made out of? I don't ever think in my lifetime that I have ever seen any cosmetics that are that expensive? $1000? Just really curious.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

They are rare versions of Creed. Creed is a luxury brand and the buyer purchased two. Trust me, there are cosmetic brands that go even beyond that amount -- I have seen $800 and above. I just can't believe there were SO many red flags in the buyer's constant cancellations that I ignored, being duped in aiming to be a "nice" and "courteous" seller (and I've been selling here for quite a while.)

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@silverstatetreasureboxes 

I was not only perturbed that the buyer could afford these, but also quite 'non-plussed' that the buyer went so far as to ask for the batch number. Good Lord, if she's that  fussy... go buy them retail in a well-lit cosmetics area!

@bubbles1234567  ^^^ This reason also makes me think that the buyer knows the value of the items and will truly return them to you. Maybe she's a bit ditzy as well as a bit spoiled. LOL

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

So the reason they ask for batch numbers (and why a lot of sellers ignore such messages) is to see what "year" the cosmetic product was manufactured in because apparently some smell differently compared to which year they were produced. It's a true pain in the butt to address these special-request buyers. Most are curious so they can nab a particular product they are looking for (in this case, the rare Creed). Others are scammers that I fear this buyer is. But you're right -- I just hope they return the same two items I sent. Or else, I'm gonna be deep in the red. And I know very well whose side eBay is going to take.

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Let me guess, was it Aventus you were selling?  That's a thing with some people (being obsessed about what batch it comes from). I'm in a fragrance group on another site (not sure if I can mention which one) and the guys on there are *constantly* talking about which batch of Aventus is preferable to another.

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

You are correct.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

I had no idea! Wow! Well thank you for the insight..Creed huh? mtgraves gave some great advise on this one and has helped me out...in fact a few days ago! I wish you all the best on this transaction and please keep us updated what happens! Now, are you going to run into problems with said buyer if he opens the cosmetic? (for resale?)

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Any opened cosmetic is technically a full loss. Would you want to use a lotion used by someone else? Most people wouldn't for hygiene and safety reasons alone. I know someone said above not to beat myself over it, but until I get MY ORIGINAL items that I sent to the buyer, I will be super anxious.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

eBay has two rules when dealing with buyers and sellers:

#1, the buyer is always right.

#2, if the buyer is ever wrong, refer to rule #1.

Do not ever sell anything on eBay you cannot afford to lose.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply