cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! Buyer send back a different item

Help. This is my first time selling on ebay. The buyer ask for a return after a week. I accepted the return, buyer then send back a different item. I have a video of myself opening the box showing it was a different item. What can I do? I haven't refund the buyer yet. I called ebay coustumer service and they do nothing. Will ebay force me to refund the buyer?

Message 1 of 55
latest reply
54 REPLIES 54

Re: Help! Buyer send back a different item

I remember back to years 2002 when I’d started selling on eBay, buyers were still good as eBay slogan “People is basically good”. Nowadays, so many scams, so many fraud returns.  Just last month, I sent a brand new watch to buyer, then he returned damaged one, took his money back from my PayPal with the help of eBay protection program.  (the program is protecting good, bad, and ugly, no discrimination).

Even sellers stated “No returns accepted”, eBay still “recommends “sellers accept return. Whatever buyers returned, eBay still refunds money to buyers and debited seller’s fund.  That’s why I could not choose selling on eBay for living, but for hobby, occasionally. Sorry to hear your first (and last?) selling experience on eBay.

Message 31 of 55
latest reply

Are they refunding you though? It sounds like they are just saying whatever they want to say to make you happy. They keep changing the story.
Message 32 of 55
latest reply

Do I have to call the CS tmr for a US representive to make sure everything is ok?

Message 33 of 55
latest reply

@usdav_k97av wrote:

Do I have to call the CS tmr for a US representive to make sure everything is ok?

I would. I wouldn’t tell them what the first rep said though. I pretend it’s the first time I’ve called about the problem.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 34 of 55
latest reply

I haven't refund the buyer yet. They said I will not have to refund the buyer, and the buyer will be charge the shipping. 

Message 35 of 55
latest reply

But the case is already opened and after the last time I called the statue of the case is change to pending.

Message 36 of 55
latest reply

@usdav_k97av

@usdav_k97av wrote:

This system is encouraging scamers to commit a federal crime, I will file local police report and calling local attorney genral.

Absolutely nothing wrong with those actions ... I think there is even an online crime web site too but forget the name of it.  It may also qualify for mail fraud which can be reported to USPS if that is the carrier you used to ship with.  You can bet that Buyer has done it before and will do it again but at some point, people like that get caught ... just the way it works.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 37 of 55
latest reply

@usdav_k97av wrote:

But the case is already opened and after the last time I called the statue of the case is change to pending.

My apologies, I overlooked that piece of information. When you call, just confirm the first rep was right.

Message 38 of 55
latest reply

@usdav_k97av

@usdav_k97av wrote:

Update. After multiple phone calls to eBay custumer serivce, and multiple trasnfer to different department in eBay, the case will be close in my favor. EBay require me to send back what the buyer sent me and once the tracking number shows the item is shipped the case will be automaticly closed in my favor. Thank you to everyone providing helpful information to me. I hope this will not happen to anyone, this is very stressful to deal with.

You should probably call when it shows delivered and stay on the phone with them until you see your $$ back in your account ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 39 of 55
latest reply

I am very confused now. From the comments it sounds like the customer serivce solution to this case is unusual. I don't know what to do. This is getting exemtrly fraustrating, I am going insane right now.

Message 40 of 55
latest reply

If it weren't against eBay rules, I would've loved to call your buyer a bad cuss word.
Message 41 of 55
latest reply

@mr_lincoln wrote:

@usdav_k97av

@usdav_k97av wrote:

Update. After multiple phone calls to eBay custumer serivce, and multiple trasnfer to different department in eBay, the case will be close in my favor. EBay require me to send back what the buyer sent me and once the tracking number shows the item is shipped the case will be automaticly closed in my favor. Thank you to everyone providing helpful information to me. I hope this will not happen to anyone, this is very stressful to deal with.

You should probably call when it shows delivered and stay on the phone with them until you see your $$ back in your account ...

OP is the seller - read the thread again. 

He's being totally misled by ebay cs. He should not be sending anything back so there should be nothing to track! he is claiming the buyer sent back a totally different item!

He needs to be filing mail fraud reports. Meanwhile, ebay will close this case in the buyers favor and he will get a defect (which he doesn't care about because this experience has has not been pleasant). The thing is, ebay cs is telling him to send back whatever the buyer RETURNED to him, lol. Understand? This is no bueno.

Message 42 of 55
latest reply

I am so dam confused. I just called eBay again, now they said this issue is resolve. I don't have to take any action and they refunded the buyer from ebay's own pocket. I don't have to ship back the item. All I have to do is wait for the system to update and everything is resolve.

Message 43 of 55
latest reply

@usdav_k97av wrote:

I am so dam confused. I just called eBay again, now they said this issue is resolve. I don't have to take any action and they refunded the buyer from ebay's own pocket. I don't have to ship back the item. All I have to do is wait for the system to update and everything is resolve.

And that’s how it should be resolved. The reason I suggested calling back and not mentioning the previous call & what you were told to do, was to see what the 2nd rep said. I had a feeling they would tell you something entirely different—which is what happened when you just called. 

Message 44 of 55
latest reply

So is this the end of my case? I can't believe the buyer didn't get any punishment from doing this.

Message 45 of 55
latest reply