cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heads Up ---Soap Box is going Private

As many here know, the Mods occasionally move what they consider non-ebay related threads to the Soap Box Board, where people are free to continue the discussion. Just a heads up: The Soap Box board will cease to exist as of Nov 16th...it will become an Invitation Only Private Group. I do not really spend time on the Soap Box Board, so this doesn't really effect me, but I'm not sure how that will impact the removal from this Board of "non-ebay" threads---where will they go? devon@ebay , can you get us an answer?

Here's the Announcement: 

We’re moving the Soapbox board on November 16, 2022. The content of the board is more appropriate in a private group because it isn’t eBay related. Therefore, we’re giving you the option to join an invite only group that one or more of you can manage. If you’d like to host this private group, you can reach out to us via email: askcommunity@ebay.com and we can provide you with the new Soapbox link.

Please take the time to wrap up your conversations in this forum before November 16th. Older content in the current Soapbox will not be moved to the new private group, but we will move the most recent 2 months of conversations over.

-Community team

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

I don't do " Invitation Only Private Group", despite invitations. Gotta wonder how many Invitation Only Private Group's you're NOT worthy of being "invited" to. 

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

Sometimes the moderators move threads to The eBay Cafe, so maybe they'll continue to use that board...?

https://community.ebay.com/t5/eBay-Cafe/bd-p/25200000018

-

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

@tdrake wrote:

I don't do " Invitation Only Private Group", despite invitations. Gotta wonder how many Invitation Only Private Group's you're NOT worthy of being "invited" to. 

What was that Groucho Marx quip?  Something like, "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."     😄

-

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

@maxine*j  Maybe. But that is also not a Discussion Board, it is a Group. Although I gather it is not by invitation only? Hopefully devon will be along to answer the question.

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

An invitation only group that someone else has to host? lol ebay's way of getting rid of discussions they do not like.  

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

I wouldn't want to belong to a club that would have me as a member.

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

Maybe the board became too time intensive, and expensive to manage manpower-wise.

And since it had nothing to do with ebay, why spend money on it?

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

I think it's a good idea - short of dumping the board altogether.  This is an ecommerce site, not a venue for dueling Truth Squads, but if Khoros just got rid of egregious political threads and political hooks disguised as so-called "business" (which seems to be mostly what gets banished there) there would be tear-choked cries of cancel culture!!!!!!!!!!!!  Just fun stuff could go to eBay cafe which is a sort of water cooler.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Maybe you can get your own personal chat room now.

Message 10 of 25
latest reply

@krazzykats 

Absolutely.   👍  I've read a few threads and topics there.  Personal issues and current topics don't belong on a site who's platform is "business." Just my opinion. 

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

@maxine*j wrote:

@tdrake wrote:

What was that Groucho Marx quip?  Something like, "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."     😄

LOL - Yup!  🤣

Message 12 of 25
latest reply

I doubt the group will be 'exclusive' or in any way a 'club' - if one wants to pursue such topics, it's easy to join and follow the topics there.  This is how many forums work.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

As a minority woman, with a minority owned business, my language here on the 'Community' has been policed, altered, regulated, censored and deleted.  The mod/censors are heavy handed, capricious, moody, distant, and have ZERO justification or accountability.  They're just plain bullies.

I've never been to the SoapBox, as I've been suspended so quickly and often as to never even have the chance to look around.  My next strike will probably be The Death Penalty, so I won't even bother going to take a look.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

@krazzykats wrote:

Maybe the board became too time intensive, and expensive to manage manpower-wise.

And since it had nothing to do with ebay, why spend money on it?

Yes, I find it surprising that the Soapbox has lasted so long, frankly, and that eBay will continue to give resources to it in any guise. 

There's nothing wrong with a place where people go to rant and rave about partisan politics, discuss theior opinions about societal changes or the criminal justice system or whatever, criticize the news media, or, well, you-name-it.  I just find it surprising that an e-commerce site would spend one minute or one nickel to provide it.

I'm not sure when the discussion forums were added to eBay, but I know it was before MySpace (2003), then Facebook, Twitter, et al, came into being so I suppose it stems from a time when eBay was unusual in having what we now call "social media" as a feature and that doubtless drove some traffic to the site.

-

Message 15 of 25
latest reply