cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone every had eBay tell them 1 thing 1 day and something different the next?

I sell used clothing so to begin I know to measure twice return never, use all 10 free photos, return never, accurately describe every detail of what buyer is receiving SO you never get a return request, item not as described forced refund from paypal...I offer a 14 day return policy, ebay says that makes me sound friendlier and they're more likely to purchase from me, however when I list every measurement and detail they know whether it fits, the color matches their eyes, etc and buyers remorse is just that....basically of the couple returns I've had was because of being damaged in shipping, not mine or the buyers fault.

With all that said, I sold a book and have a question for the sellers, veteran sellers, not the 1000 item a day, 1 in every 100 bad feed back doesn't hurt me because ebay likes taking my fees...I sold a 40+ yr old well read text book, very rare and when found in collectable condition sells for several hundred, not say $50, I've read this book over and over, forced it out flat, broke the binding so it would lay flat, glue in binding after 47 yrs shows age, however book is sound, no loose or missing pages, all photos show cover, back, spine, facing top pages, facing bottom pages, side and inside several pages.  So I get offers, someone buys it at asking price....gets book on a Fri then on a Sun sends me a message stating sections are falling out of the book, would like a 40% partial refund without doing anything through ebay, just messaging.  I called ebay within minutes Sun afternoon, spoke with someone in returns as this person wasn't asking to return item just wanted partial refund, stating that they would have to have the book rebound.  I had an issue where a painting was damaged in shipping, the glass broke, buy said they would work with me taking it somewhere and I'd partial refund the cost of the glass as they wanted to keep it, waited for a week and then saw they were shipping it back with no notice, got it back in the original packing destroyed and now shattered glass shaking around destroying artwork.  Went round and round with photos and their messages till eBay found in my favor and didn't refund them as they didn't have any photos to back their statement of damage, basically they tried to pull small arwork out of matting and had to brake frame and backing making original item useless.  I explained if buyer got item and tried to pull binding apart to re glue anything, I'm not taking back something in worse condition as when I sent it, especially an item that shows up on eBay once every couple years, basically an estate item where someone has to die for someone to sell it.

I know, getting long, girl on Sun told me and we both agreed, lets see what he does, if he sucks it up we can worry about negative feedback, but so far it's buyers remorce he should abuse the 14 day return policy and based on terms, pay to ship back and loose 20% restocking fee for not being happy because he didn't look at photos or read description.  So days go by and I get another message, and found a buyer loophole which makes the ebay people just go quiet like they are not on the line anymore hoping you'll hang up....message states, sent you an email expressing my dissatisfaction. I received no reply. I left you VERY BAD feedback, Please respond and I will change the feedback.  Feedback states book is falling apart. I want a 50% or total refund. It is not as described.  I called eBay, spoke with a guy this morning, he read the notes from Sun, today is Tues, he said nothing we can do with the feedback, for some reason I left you VERY BAD feedback, please respond and I will change it and the I want 50% or total refund isn't resonating as feedback extortion, and the fact that he doesn't want to open a refund as he wants to keep the book, they don't think that someone telling me they want 50% back or total refund without mention of shipping back the book is an unreasonable demand, and he states in the feedback item not as described, which again is another reference to paypal and so long money and maybe you'll get item back.

I told they guy, why is it I called Sun and got 1 response and today your telling me it's an opinion, give me 50% back or keep the negative feedback isn't feedback extortion, he has an opinion he should get half his money back?  I told him ok, as he couldn't understand what I was told and he read from notes on Sun was different from what he was telling me..so I said thank you, oh well, eBay...I called back 5 min later, wen't through the whole thing again in the same department with someone different, however she said she saw the person I spoke to earliers remarks, but no notes from Sun, the 1st person said he read Sundays notes, the 2nd person said there were no notes from Sun, just the ones from the person I just spoke with who told me I could respond to his negative feedback with my what 12 characters to try to explain he wanted to keep the book for half the price....

So I called again a 3rd time to see if they had any notes from today or it was all just, well yes I have this documented....I contacted the buyer explaining I'd gladly refund his purchase based on the terms in the listing, I'd spoke with ebay when I received his first message, with the worry he possibly damaged the vintage book as he didn't want to return it or send any photos showing damage, then after receiving his negative feedback another message about gettting a partial refund to remove feedback, all of these things I discussed with eBay, hoping he'd as the first person said, let him slip up and dig a hole, if he did damage the book, he knows he can't return it as the photos will show damage against your listing photos, he told me he's sorry he didn't mean to be harsh, but looking at 2 of the photos from the listing it clearly shows sections of the book jutting out...yes it does, and if he did try to pry them out and damage the book....I'm waiting to call them back and dispute the feedback allowing them to read the message where he acknoledges he saw the photos, but after receiving the book didn't like it, yes buyers remorse, sometimes that does hold up in eBay court....

My question verterain eBayer's have you ever listed something with accurate photos, to the point where the buyer admits they knew what they were receiving, however after they got it, were upset they purchased it, didn't want to return it as they knew they weren't going to be able to at that price buy it again, however expect the seller to pay to have I don't know, lets say I sold a LCD Projector where the bulb was dead, now I tested it with another bulb, knowing these bulbs cost $300 to replace, the listing didn't include a new bulb hense the low price, but the projector worked, so the buyer states, he wants money back so he can buy a working bulb? Or he based on photos purchased a pair of dress shoes that  from the photos shoed they needed to be shined or worse re-soled to bring to perfect new condition, sold as EUC, can I be forced to pay to polish those shoes, re-sole shoes that show the soles are worn, or pay for a working bulb in a projector that stated there wasn't one included to change feedback?  In this instance I could have had the book binding repaired to make it look as it did when it was new on the inside, but I would have added that fluff into the asking price...all around this is the first time eBay and their scripted responces are not protecting the seller.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Has anyone every had eBay tell them 1 thing 1 day and something different the next?

He said nonessential meaning I was babbling, nonsensical meaning having no meaning or babbling? Sorry I used a big word you don't know the definition of stating I didn't think I was rambling, all the details were essential.

Oh, and learn to spell if you feel the need to go around not contributing but thinking your being appreciated trying to be the grammar police....nonsensical doesn't have an "e" at the end of it. I knew it was misspelled when I posted as I was more worried about the accuracy of the information I was typing, no matter now nonessential it was...I am going to accept your post as the solution so we can close the post and the last thing people see and 10-20 years from now when they are having to explain in school what trolling grammar police fail means.....

View Best Answer in original post

Message 14 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Yes.

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

So your return policy is there only to make you appear to be friendly?
Message 3 of 24
latest reply

You need to keep calling back but do not mention any previous calls with ebay. Just stick to the facts buyer left you negative and now are saying if you refund them they will change it- that's feedback extortion. If the rep you are speaking with doesnt agree say thank you hang up and call again later. As far as the buer the only communication you should have had with them is sorry you are not happy please return for a refund.

Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Ok, here's todays story....and no, ebay says I should use the 14 day MBG to attract more buyers, they wanted us to accept 30 day returns and free shipping to get a little truck by our name!!!!!! That way the buyer regardles or reason watch that movie or play that game like we're redbox and return it at their leisure for a full refund, "the game was to easy and I beat it in a week", buyers remorse cases don't matter during that 14 day free rental that eBay Money Back Guarantee states, wear those jeans or dress with the tags tucked in like we're a tux rental, and I was told even within that 14 days if they wear something and return it dirty it is hard to show the exact photo of a pair of jeans from a listing against the photo of a rip or tear after they were returnd now.  We've had women use a knife or scizzors to open poly mailers and then say item damaged not as described and I've got back something I can't sell and they have their money....which is where I'm at today.

I called about 9 PM after having the Feedback Extortion case file, disputed and removed in my favor, buyer sent me message, as I hadn't responded to his "making unreasonable demangs" messages, he said he'd left me a VERY BAD feedback, respond and he'd change it, feed back stated, book is falling apart, I want 50% or full refund! Not as described.  It was hard to get the first 2 people from eBay out of the country support to read the message and feedback in 1 long sentence which was frustrating.  His oppinion is book is damage, he can state he wants a partial or full refund, not mentioning returning the item as that is his opinion...I get that.  They said you can reply to it, with what 200 characters how am I going to say, buyer received used book based on photos and description and wants me to pay to have it rebound, want's partial refund to alter book to better than listing quality....Well I get a message from eBay and it looks like they sent it to me,

Ebay Policy Violation  

Hello magicguynet,

We’ve looked at your eBay account and see that some of your actions do not follow eBay's policy. As a result, we've taken the following steps:
- The following feedback you left has been removed:

There was nothing here so I called them as it looked as though it was against me, I've included this for anyone who's ever wandered what a violation message looks like

We understand you may not have been aware of this policy or the importance eBay places on it. Now is a great time to review our guidelines and ensure future listings comply with them. Our guidelines can be found here:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/feedback-extortion.html 

Note that future breaches of this policy could result in limits on your ability to buy and sell on eBay, and the suspension of your eBay account for an unlimited time period."

So I called them with no idea what this was about, they said it was a copy so I could see what they sent him and the feedback had been removed, so now he opens a return and sends me a message, the message says, "I don t want to appear harsh, but in two of the pictures of the book it show parts of the book protruding from the rest of the pages ." "I want the book rebound", and in the return states

Reason

Doesn't match description or photos

Comments

20% to 40% refund would be fair for me to have the book be rebounded. Some of the pages are sticking out

So I call ebay, and tell them....he purchased the item and wants the binding rebound, sent me a message this morning $20 would be enough, take it to Kinkos and have it spiral bound, as it will need it in the future.  He told me to look at my own 2 photos that show sections of the book jutting out, or protruding.  And states wants to return book as Some of the pages are sticking out, yes, that's why I took those 2 photos, that's why they are in the listing? He states he received the book matching the photos in the listing, doesn't like it and wants me to pay to have the binding rebound at a 20 for 40 percent partial refund.  I call abuse of Moneyback Guarantee Protection, the girl I spoke with for 24 minutes went through, Making Unreasonable Demands, "We don't allow unreasonable or excessive demands. We also consider using the threat of negative Feedback, low detailed seller ratings, or opening eBay Money Back Guarantee requests as a way to make demands of the seller to be extortion" These were the two that were filed, 
1. Demanding a partial refund or discount under threat of negative Feedback, low detailed seller ratings, or opening an eBay Money Back Guarantee request or PayPal Purchase Protection case. 2. Demanding additional items or services that are outside of what is contained in the listing.  Then he received the ding for Feedback Extortion an his negative feedback was removed, then he knowing the loophole opened an Item not as Described return within that 14 day Money Back Guarantee Policy, now wanting to return the book for a refund, still stating, I bought this item based on listing and photos, but you are going to give me partial refund to alter it, which falls under and another 2 reports they are looking into against him, We don't allow buyers to abuse the eBay Money Back Guarantee, 1. As retaliation against a seller following a previous dispute 2.  Threatening to open an eBay Money Back Guarantee request or PayPal Purchase Protection case against a seller in order to get a discount or additional goods and services, when the item arrived in the described condition. And aso made note as he said the book was now falling apart in sections, if you've read this far, his first message was the book is falling apart, I think a partial refund of 40% would be fair to pay to have it rebound, so with no photos, and not wanting to return the item, and the eBay persons stated it for me, he's pulled the book apart to try to reglue the binding himself, so I told them if anything, I'm following the rules as stated in my listing 14 days, I loose the cost of return shipping, I have to, but jump down to Missusing Returns, 1. Not returning the item in the condition that it was sent to you (for example, returning a TV without the remote control) 2. Returning an item that has been damaged after being delivered 3. Claiming an item isn't as described in the listing in order to circumvent a seller's return policy.  Again if you've read this far, he doesn't want to send the book back as he is stating the book is now not like the photos, but seperated.  I'm forcing him to return the book, if it's been damaged and doesn't show up the way it went out based on all 10 photos from my listing.  Ebay policy, I get book, I keep money, he can't leave negative feedback as he already used that to try to extort me, I block him, and like ebay said, he tells his 3 friends he has in the world and I possibly loose purchased from 3 other guys who are jackasses as well.

So I accepted the return, to force him to return the book, the correct way to do things, he has 10 days for me to receive it or case is closed in my favor, he can close the case himself I guess and keep the book, which he wants to do and probably realizes he better if he's damaged the book.  And yes thank you newcoloringbooks, I have a dozen friends who run their ebay business from a small pub I go to, that's where I got the idea to do this full time, however they think I am crazy for calling ebay, and when they really get a few drinks in them and I've heard it for years, I quitting eBay and doing my own website...however everyday every 15 minites their phones cha ching making them each about $60 profit for what they are selling.  So yes, I do believe if Steve or Katie sounds like a Virishnu or Darhma and can only read from a script, in the future I'm thank them and call back later as that is just frustrating.

He did message me today after seeing the return request to send back the book, no other option and he' s still wanting $$ to take it somewhere and keep the book, I told him to send me photos, I need him to dig another hole and show eBay where it's now damaged, or have him, which I've had in the past, threaten or use vulgar language because they don't like the rules stated in eBay or fully know them.

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

This is directly from eBays website, "It’s no secret that shoppers are more likely to buy an item when they’re confident they can return it if they need to. That’s why offering a generous return policy just makes good business sense." Consider offering free returns,  Accept returns no matter what the reason, Offer an extra–generous return window—30 days or longer is most attractive to buyers, and Offer 60–day returns during the holiday season.

They tell you that....they also state, Be as detailed as possible when describing your item and its condition, and use high quality photos to minimize the need for a return.  Ebay is an electronic flea market, where all sales are legal contracts between the two sellers, the items should be described and photos show every detail and flaw if there is so no returns should be necessary. Ebay isn't Walmart, most of use arent' companies using eBay as another platform apart from our website, and unless you sell on eBay on a daily basis, I have 10 friends who are all full time sellers, they say I'm stupid to call eBay for issue, just accept the refunds as eBay is always on the side of the buyer, sellers don't matter as there are 10 signing up for every 1 that leaves, and most important, set asside 10% of your profits as a loss for all the loopholes that buyers use to get free stuff.  So yes, friendly as every sale where an item over a hundred dollars scares me if I'm not going to loose that money, especially when people 1 or no other feedbacks, or looking at their feedbacks left for others and they are all negative.  Something for nothing, and if they don't get it through eBay, they'll force it through paypal.....I hate to say selling is war, but somedays it can be fun.

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

Have i ever had eBay tell them 1 thing 1 day and something different the next?

Of course, ebay doesn't really train the low level CS, they just hand them a script and give them a headset.

Now, OP, I'm going to give you a piece of adice that should serve you well when dealing with ebay...

Keep your explainations short.  100 words or 5 sentences, no more than that.

I didn't read your missives because it's way too long and filled with totally nonessential information.  When dealing with CS you stick to the point.  Because if you distract them with some nonessential stuff, they are easily confused might concentrate on that and you will get nothing done.

(*Bleep*)
Message 7 of 24
latest reply

I don't think it's nonsensicale, I have a buyer who basically is trying to use every loophole know on google to keep an item, but get a half or full refund, he knew how to perfectly work his message seperate from his negative feedback so 3 "scripties" said it was an opinion, but the 4th was able to combine the two seperate trains of thought and see I was being extorted.  Then I spent 24 min talking to the abuse dept, and she made notes to pass on to the return department before transfering me, however I spent another 25 min with returns having them explain to me if he doesn't return it in 10 days, case closed, but have to wait 3 buis days, 2nd after politely saying thank you told me I could escalate it then, probably win but would receive defect?  I was on phone for 3 hours total last night, getting the run around from every country in the call center world.

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

As any veteran seller should tell you, you tell the buyer "So sorry you are not happy with your purchase, please return for a refund".  DONE.

Glad you got the feedback removed. I would have fought that to the end.  Stop replying to anything.

If your buyer does not show the item being returned (movement on a tracking number entered into the case), within 5 business days, you call ebay and get the case closed in your favor.  

DONE, nothng more.  Stop conversing with a shakedown artist.

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

I've only sent him 2 messages, the first stating after getting the feedback that after speaking with eBay they think as do I that he's not wanting to return the book, but can't get a refund or partial refund until the correct process is started so their must be more to the story, I explained that the "damage" he is pointing out in the photos in the listing is why I took the photos, the book is sound and glued, he should open a return and after receiving the book, I'd refund the money and then deal with the feedback, knowing he can't send the book as he's destroyed it.

After opening the case and I accepted the return after going through all my options with eBay, he sent me a message still wanting partial to go get the binding removed and spiral bound as it was going to have to be fixed eventually. I replied simply, please send photos, and he did 2 where he'd pulled pages out...so if he sends it back damaged, hopefully sending in photos to ebay showing not in same condition and I keep book and money or we're on day 2 since the 18th I sent him a prepaid label and the book hasn't moved, I hope he's waiting to hear back from me about the photos, I am just going to ignore any messages and hopefully he waits till too late this weekend and come Tues if it doesn't show out for delivery I'm calling and having the case closed in my favor, rules are rules. Either way eBay should come through.
Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Thanks all for responding, it's day 2 after sending him a return label and the book hasn't moved, or label printed....so I'm hoping he's waiting to hear back from me about a partial refund....

It must be my week, Paypal charge back on another $70 item from a buyer with me as their 1st feedback, thanks eBay for only letting me say positive FB, Thanks Again, Quick Pay...BIN Immediate Payment Required? They have to pay quickly or it's not theirs till paid????That was an easy one, but stressfull knowing people can just contract their bank, not eBay, and I didn't know but from speaking with Paypal to get it resolved, they don't have to verify a paypal account, as they did with me by dropping 3 cents into my bank account some 16 yrs ago I think, she said we are still protected but you can both be a guest paypal checkout or guest ebay buyer, you don't have to have an account created if you think you are only going to purchase 1 thing from ebay or never use paypal again, but have to as the seller requires it on ebay?  As this person purchased an item, received it then 5 days later contested the transaction with their bank, however not once contacted me saying, hey, I opened a package today with a toy robot in it that has a tag from BB&B for $99, I didn't order this after checking their bank, just called the bank wanting to keep the Wowee MiP, now I'm worried everytime I ship to a new eBayer...

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

You said return in the dispute and/or sent him a return ship label.  Stop talking to him.  The more you talk the better chance that you will slip up and give him the advantage he needs to guilt you into refunding.

(*Bleep*)
Message 12 of 24
latest reply

@magicguynet wrote:

I don't think it's nonsensicale, I have a buyer who basically is trying to use every loophole know on google to keep an item, but get a half or full refund, he knew how to perfectly work his message seperate from his negative feedback so 3 "scripties" said it was an opinion, but the 4th was able to combine the two seperate trains of thought and see I was being extorted.  Then I spent 24 min talking to the abuse dept, and she made notes to pass on to the return department before transfering me, however I spent another 25 min with returns having them explain to me if he doesn't return it in 10 days, case closed, but have to wait 3 buis days, 2nd after politely saying thank you told me I could escalate it then, probably win but would receive defect?  I was on phone for 3 hours total last night, getting the run around from every country in the call center world.

"nonessential" is what the other poster said, NOT nonsensicale.

Two different words, two not-even-close meanings.

Let me guess - for a hobby, you, ah, write, right?

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 13 of 24
latest reply

He said nonessential meaning I was babbling, nonsensical meaning having no meaning or babbling? Sorry I used a big word you don't know the definition of stating I didn't think I was rambling, all the details were essential.

Oh, and learn to spell if you feel the need to go around not contributing but thinking your being appreciated trying to be the grammar police....nonsensical doesn't have an "e" at the end of it. I knew it was misspelled when I posted as I was more worried about the accuracy of the information I was typing, no matter now nonessential it was...I am going to accept your post as the solution so we can close the post and the last thing people see and 10-20 years from now when they are having to explain in school what trolling grammar police fail means.....
Message 14 of 24
latest reply

@magicguynet wrote:

I do believe you aren't quite correct in taking the meaning to say that you were babbling.  (I would say something like that, but retrose wouldn't)  I believe the comment was made as a constructive critcism in dealing with folks that read from scripts, as well as English not being their first language.

I do know the difference - that was a cut and paste of YOUR post.  There is an after-post edit function and proof-reading can be a friend.

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 15 of 24
latest reply