cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW TO PREVENT CHARGEBACKS! I HATE EBAY

IVE BEEN SELLING ON EBAY FOR 19 YEARS MADE A TON OF $$. RECENTLY DUE TO THEM NOT USING PAYPAL IVE HAD BUYERS DO A CHARGEBACK THROUGH THEIR BANK AND EBAY WONT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT, THEY SAID ITS BETWEEN ME AND THE BUYERS BANK, THATS BULL**bleep**. THIS WASN'T POSSIBLE WHEN USING PAYPAL. AND NOW IM OUT THE ITEM AND THE MONEY. ITS BULL**bleep**, NOT TO MENTION THEIR FEES ARE RIDICULOUS NOW. CAN YOU ONLY ALLOW PAYPAL AS FORM OF PAYMENT? I DONT SEE WHERE ITS A OPTION. IM LIKE A 10/10 HATE EBAY BUT THERES NO WHERE ELSE TO SELL YOUR STUFF. (I MAINLY SELL DAMAGED AUTOMOTIVE HEADLIGHTS THAT I GET NEXT TO NOTHING SO THE PLATFORM REALLY WORKS WELL FOR WHAT I DO) until now

Message 1 of 63
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

I agree as a seller that has accepted credit card payments either via merchant account (pre eBay days), PayPal, or managed payments I’ve always had to deal with the occasional chargeback. 

As I’ve said many times on these boards whether it was when I was accepting credit card payments via merchant account, PayPal, or managed payments it is very difficult for sellers to win a chargeback case due to the banks and credit card networks wanting to protect the consumer.

Hence, I now Have instituted a policy of free returns. Since I’ve started this policy. I’ve not had a chargeback request. I’d rather take an occasional return and the associated costs of paying for return shipping than having to refund buyer, not getting items back, and paying the $20.00 fee. Also, when a seller has a no returns policy many buyers will file false INAD cases which results in a ding to a sellers service metrics.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 19 of 63
latest reply
62 REPLIES 62

I posted an item on this board a few days ago titled "disturbing trend". I believe eBay bit off a bit more than they were prepared to handle when the moved from PayPal as their financial process to Adyen operating in the background. The scammers have quickly become aware of the fact that they do not need to go through eBay with an INR or SNAD and have to deal with a sellers potential response to the case. It is far easier for them to just do a chargeback. The CC company or bank never touches base with the seller, both Adyen and eBay refuse go get involved other than fully refunding the buyer and keeping their fees. The buyer has the item and their money back and the seller has little recourse. 

If nothing is done you can expect to see an increase in the chargebacks as more and more scammers learn how easy it is to do. There is already information available on the internet on how simple it is to pull this off. 

Message 2 of 63
latest reply

The boards were always full of complaints with chargebacks at Paypal...

``````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

“Never pick a fight with an ugly person. They don’t have anything to lose.” ~Robin Williams
Message 3 of 63
latest reply

Ask them how it can be between you and the dishonest buyers bank when they do not tell you who the bank is. eBay does not care about sellers and does nothing to protect them,they don’t do anything because it does not cost them anything and they protect the buyers that is what eBay does.this happens time and time again. Be prepared for the postings telling you this is all your fault. Good luck

Message 4 of 63
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

They can do charge backs on Paypal, too. I once had Paypal put a $20 hold on a $3 ribbon pin I sold on etsy because the buyer claimed that she didn't order it. They lifted it once I called and explained, but it was still crazy.

I have no idea how to even get a chargeback from my bank. Fortunately, I've never had my card stolen or been hacked. I will only use Paypal or my husband's credit card online because I don't have a credit card, only a debit card. I really should get a credit card for the security of it...

Message 5 of 63
latest reply

Nothing like it is now. 

Message 6 of 63
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

You can sell through Facebook Marketplace. And only accept Paypal for payment. You'll have no seller protection, though. What eBay offers is very minimal, but I'd rather work with them than with Paypal. 

Message 7 of 63
latest reply

@trx-racing wrote:

EBAY WONT DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT, THEY SAID ITS BETWEEN ME AND THE BUYERS BANK

Have you asked eBay for the name and phone for the buyer's bank @trx-racing to catch eBay in the lie? (eBay doesn't know anything about the buyer's bank, neither name, phone, address, etc.)

@trx-racing wrote:

IVE BEEN SELLING ON EBAY FOR 19 YEARS MADE A TON OF $$.

AND NOW IM OUT THE ITEM AND THE MONEY.

I MAINLY SELL DAMAGED AUTOMOTIVE HEADLIGHTS THAT I GET NEXT TO NOTHING 

So the good news is you're not out the money, just the item: The buyer paid you, and you paid the buyer back, so it's a wash.

And since the item was acquired for next to nothing, you didn't lose much there, either. Just the whopping $20 chargeback penalty, all your selling fees, plus your postage.

Message 8 of 63
latest reply

Sorry you are so disappointed, but I agree with Bonjourami, Paypal had the same issues.  Ebay would tell you to take it up with PayPal, and PayPal would tell you to take it up with the buyers bank.  

I would have to say to you that it seems foolish to give up something that has been profitable and working so well for you because of a few chargebacks, which surely is just a small percentage of your sales.  Try top hang in there!

-Dippity

Message 9 of 63
latest reply

yeah, but if you provided good evidence it would usually work out. When they do chargeback your basically screwed. It will rarely get reversed.

Message 10 of 63
latest reply

ooo yeah I'm sure Karen is typing as we speak! I've always had good luck when there was a claim or a problem. At least you would get your item back..Its funny because eBay sent me a pre-filled response to send his bank. His bank and its his relationship they won't do anything for me. 

Message 11 of 63
latest reply

On occasion but at least PayPal did some screening before they automatically refunded the buyer. You could also contact PayPal and appeal your case. You cannot contact the CC company or the bank since that information is not available to you and eBay will not provide it. Under MP a chargeback is virtually an automatic refund to the buyer, no communication, no appeal, no recourse. 

Message 12 of 63
latest reply

@dbfolks166mt wrote:

The scammers have quickly become aware of the fact that they do not need to go through eBay with an INR or SNAD and have to deal with a sellers potential response to the case. It is far easier for them to just do a chargeback.

That's nothing new.

Some buyers might not understand how the MBG works.

When they buy from a seller that doesn't take returns and they have a problem, they figure it's probably easier going through their payment source then dealing with a seller that doesn't want to accept returns.

Happy Easter
Message 13 of 63
latest reply

I agree, its just the point. Ebay would back the seller atleast a Little before but now its 100% the buyer. The 20$ dispute fee was hilarious too on top of it!

Message 14 of 63
latest reply

That is the big difference between PayPal as the third party financial provider prior to MP and what now exists with Adyen and eBay under MP. You could talk to PayPal and at least had a possibility of winning the case. That does not exist under MP. 

Message 15 of 63
latest reply