Selling
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Bookmark Share Post

Gift Card Scam Buyer Returned Without Tracking?

Gift Card Scam Buyer Returned Without Tracking?

auburn3
Adventurer
Last Edited 01:16:39 PM

I recently sold a Walgreens gift card for about $14.00 to a buyer in the same state i live in. The buyer after recieving opened a return case claiming the card was somehow defective. i accepted the buyers request for a return and a few days later i received in the mail a letter from the buyer with a Walgreens card that was completely different than the one i sold to him. The gift card i sent to him was a White gift card. the one i got back wasn't even a gift card, but a Rewards card that was completely unusable. I messaged the buyer in a non threatening way that i received the wrong card in the mail. About three or four days later he messages me that if i don't want a case opened against me i should just refund him even though technically i still haven't recieved my item back. My question here is, do i have to refund him? i mean i have pictures to prove the cards are completely different and he never provided me with a tracking # when he returned it..What are my options?

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES

Re: Gift Card Scam Buyer Returned Without Tracking?

in reply to Jan 8, 2017 1:32:14 PM
luckythewinner
Rockstar
Last Edited 01:34:07 PM

auburn3 wrote:

I recently sold a Walgreens gift card for about $14.00 to a buyer in the same state i live in. The buyer after recieving opened a return case claiming the card was somehow defective. i accepted the buyers request for a return and a few days later i received in the mail a letter from the buyer with a Walgreens card that was completely different than the one i sold to him. The gift card i sent to him was a White gift card. the one i got back wasn't even a gift card, but a Rewards card that was completely unusable. I messaged the buyer in a non threatening way that i received the wrong card in the mail. About three or four days later he messages me that if i don't want a case opened against me i should just refund him even though technically i still haven't recieved my item back. My question here is, do i have to refund him? i mean i have pictures to prove the cards are completely different and he never provided me with a tracking # when he returned it..What are my options?

OP, 

The combination of the eBay Money Back Guarantee and a buyer with no morals allows that buyer to steal any item from any seller at any time, as long as he does not make a mistake while perpetrating his fraud. 

That being said ... 

I am not sure whether the buyer can open another case while the  return case is pending. And I do not know what your chances are of winning the return case because he does not (you think) have a tracking number for the return. (Remember eBay can see a message from you admitting you did receive something as a return). 

Lucky

Message 2 of 28

in reply to Jan 8, 2017 1:35:04 PM
emerald40
Rockstar

If no tracking then ebay has no way to verify that you received anything back.  You probably would have won.  That is until you posted it here.

Message 3 of 28

in reply to Jan 8, 2017 1:35:32 PM
pjcdn2005
Guide

I would not refund yet.  If he opens a not as described case you will have to send a return shipping label but will not have to refund until the tracking on that label says the package is delivered.  If the buyer doesn't use the label, you don't pay for it, don't have to refund and your account is not affected.  If he uses it and sends you something else, you basically have to refund as eBay will assume he sent the right item.  As long as you refund before eBay is asked to step in, your account is not affected.  However, if he does send another wrong item back, I would come back here and ask for suggestions on how to handle it.

Message 4 of 28

in reply to Jan 8, 2017 1:52:58 PM
baggs-2018
Guide

If the buyer has not returned YOUR card within a Return Request opened with ebay, you do not have to refund.  Period.  If your buyer has not opened a return, I would not communicate with them any longer.  What date was this card delivered to them?

Message 5 of 28

in reply to Jan 8, 2017 2:05:25 PM
emerald40
Rockstar

baggs-2017 wrote:

If the buyer has not returned YOUR card within a Return Request opened with ebay, you do not have to refund.  Period.  If your buyer has not opened a return, I would not communicate with them any longer.  What date was this card delivered to them?

I agree.  And there is nothing dishonest about it imo.  If the buyer sent you something other then what you sent him, then you did not receive a return.

So if he opens a case, ebay will tell him to provide tracking.  And when he can't have them close in your favor.

Message 6 of 28

in reply to Jan 8, 2017 4:24:46 PM
auburn3
Adventurer

Before it arrived to my mailbox, i did ask him if he had a tracking number and he claimed he didn't. The card arrived in a envelope with one stamp and no tracking or signature confirmation. As far as the pending returns goes, it hasn't updated on my end saying it was shipped or that it had arrived. it just says a return is pending. I'm just not sure if i should just appease his demands for a refund to possibly save my good feedback score or keep this pending..

Message 7 of 28

in reply to Jan 8, 2017 4:27:51 PM
emerald40
Rockstar

I would not do anything until he uploads tracking and sends back your original item.

Message 8 of 28

in reply to Jan 8, 2017 4:30:04 PM
auburn3
Adventurer

I sold him the card on the 15th of December. He requested the return that i approved of i believe on the 29th of the same month. I'm not sure on the exact date of when he actually recieved it because i didn't purchase any tracking. we live in the same state, when i sent it originally to him i used a simple envelope and stamp to save money on the shipping because i had listed the card with free shipping.

Message 9 of 28

in reply to Jan 8, 2017 4:41:56 PM
junquee101
Scout

How was the card shipped by you?

When you approved the return did you provide a label?

Message 10 of 28

in reply to Jan 8, 2017 5:07:29 PM
auburn3
Adventurer

I originally shipped it to him in an envelope with one stamp because we live in opposite ends of the same state. If i remember correctly, i did not provide a shipping label. 

Message 11 of 28

in reply to Jan 8, 2017 5:33:29 PM
ten_o_nine
Guide

Since you admitted in ebay messages that you received the return but wrong item, put the card they sent in an envelope, put a stamp on it and send back, then message the buyer thru ebay and say you shipped the wrong item back to them and to please return the correct one. Love to play this game over a $14 item.

Message 12 of 28

in reply to Jan 8, 2017 5:39:38 PM
ten_o_nine
Guide

If he was an experienced scammer, he would have filed an INR since you sent without tracking and you would have had to refund without them sending anything back, but seem to be a rookie.

Message 13 of 28

in reply to Jan 8, 2017 5:45:01 PM
18704d
Rockstar

"I'm just not sure if i should just appease his demands for a refund to possibly save my good feedback score or keep this pending.."

------------

Never do that.

Never appease their demands to "save" your feedback.

Because if you do,

the feedback they leave can certainly Harm your future sales by showcasing that you are an easy .. target.

In fact, getting a 'bad' feedback, even a Neg in this situation can help you if...you respond to it properly.

Responding to a Neg by leaving a follow-up to that feedback that says:

"I'm sorry, but I Never refund without the Proper Item being Returned"

can Warn future buyers (scammers) that you don't cave in easily.

jmtcw,

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 14 of 28

in reply to Jan 8, 2017 5:45:07 PM
sockmonkeydave
Rockstar

@auburn3

Gift cards are one of the easy scams on the internet.

You send a card, they use it, and claim it came empty.

Instant lose for you.

I'm a space monkey, bet you weren't ready for that.
Sorry...Steve Miller
Good writers borrow, great writers steal outright... Aaron Sorkin
Message 15 of 28

in reply to Jan 8, 2017 5:46:19 PM
18704d
Rockstar

And put this rookie scammer on your Blocked Bidder List

Now

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 16 of 28

in reply to Jan 8, 2017 5:57:19 PM
lintbrush*
Guide
Last Edited 05:58:30 PM

Do you have the serial number on the original gift card?  Have you called Walgreens to see if it was spent in his area?

While it might not do much to win with eBay, if you can prove it that he spent it, I would be filing fraud charges with USPS and with ic3.gov.  I wouldn't threaten the buyer with that though.

I'd would let the buyer know that you will be filing with the USPS because if he is insisting that he sent back the right card but you got back another card, that postal tampering/theft is involved.  Ask him nicely if he would provide you a daytime contact number that you can provide to the claim so that a postal inspector could reach him to sort this out because they take these allegations very seriously.

Message 17 of 28

in reply to Jan 8, 2017 6:15:49 PM
sockmonkeydave
Rockstar

@lintbrush*

It's a 14 dollar gift card.... so the OP said.

Sent with no tracking, returned with no tracking.

Yes the OP can win, but how many hours on the phone with CS.

how many hours filling out reports...

Don't sell gift cards on the internet.

I'm a space monkey, bet you weren't ready for that.
Sorry...Steve Miller
Good writers borrow, great writers steal outright... Aaron Sorkin
Message 18 of 28

in reply to Jan 8, 2017 6:22:01 PM

My guess is you would have won hands down until you admitted you got something back from him.  No tracking, no win.  Now, if the case is escalated, eBay CS has an admission from you that you got it back.

Message 19 of 28

in reply to Jan 8, 2017 6:32:45 PM
ten_o_nine
Guide

I wouldn't sit on the phone with ebay for an hour if they paid me $50, a lady from ebay called and said she had some exciting news for me, I hung up, it was too early for me to get excited.

Message 20 of 28