cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting no views on some items.

I don't know what is going on but my sales in the past 3 to 4 months has dropped by a good 50%. I have a perfect feedback score and I have more items listed than ever before. The other issue I'm having is some of my items are getting absolutely no views while others are getting hundreds it doesn't make any sense. I make sure they are listed with search engine compliance I've been selling for years so I know what I'm doing when it comes to listing items. The other day I was like hmmm let's see what happens when I make several listings for the same item because I have the stock but change around the listing title. I will add other key words or will list it in a unisex or men's instead of women's or say simulated diamond instead of cubic zirconia and still those particular items no matter how I list them get absolutely no views. It doesn't make sense because I have had these exact same items in the past and they sold like hot cakes getting tons of views. Now those same things I sold last month with tons of views are sitting for weeks and not a single view on any of the listings. Has anyone else run into this issue and do you know what the reason is or how to fix it? This is my primary source of income I usually clear around 2 to 3k a month nothing crazy but enough to live on. Now I'm barely making 1k to 2k in total sales I'm drowning and I'm starting to panic since it's been a decline over a 4 month period. I know that my items are listed properly and should be picked up in the search algorithm. I'm just at a loss for trying to figure out what the problem is. Ebay customer service is absolutely no help they just say make sure to use key words to describe your items. Well you don't say 🤦 I just don't know what to do 

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Getting no views on some items.

@inhawaii wrote:

I have a wild, crazy theory.

No views = Nobody is interested in the item.

They have 104 followers yet have sold only 250 items - that tells me that there is lots of potential.

I've sold almost 10,000 items and have only 366 followers.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 16 of 37
latest reply

@mam98031 

I think the poster was just teasing.

EBay does not use feedback to assess member accounts, although a few buyers do.

And to that occasional buyer it can go either way.

A single neutral might be a hard no to one and a 95% rating hunky dory with another.

There is a huge series of storms though, for real, and people are hunkering down.

Although hunkering down was the reason for the pandemic surge in online buying

Message 17 of 37
latest reply

Thank you, I'm aware.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 18 of 37
latest reply

I didn't look at your listings, but from the posts it appears you sell jewelry, so just one quick suggestion: If you have stuff that is appropriate for Valentines Day gift giving, maybe play up that angle in your title (you can revise them again after the Holiday), Item Specific and/or description. Maybe a store category.

People are definitely searching for Valentines Day gifts /decor right now.

Message 19 of 37
latest reply

The other day I was like hmmm let's see what happens when I make several listings for the same item because I have the stock but change around the listing title

If these are fixed price listings, that would violate eBay's duplicate listing policy. 

Message 20 of 37
latest reply

@bigjsa-44 

I just wanted to add something regarding your pictures.

It doesn't take a professional camera or fancy equipment to take good pics.

Jewelry (and other reflective stuff) is hard, but there are a few things you can do.

Turn off your flash.

Use indirect lighting - "daylight" bulbs not directly focused on the item.

Use a plain background - black works best for silver items.

And bring the camera to the item, not the item to the camera.

I took 2 pics of one of my rings - with my phone - first with the flash on and hands (yuck) in the pic on a busy background - second on a lucite stand with a cheap piece of black satin cloth underneath. I also ran the ring through the sonic cleaner in between pics  (and cleaned my wedding set while I was at it - they definitely needed it LOL) 🙂

Besides the cleaning, it took me about a minute to set it up and if I had taken a bit longer, I could have messed with the lighting and background to make it better.  And a lucite ring sizer would help, but I digress 😉

The 3rd pic is just zoomed out form the second to show the setup.

20240120_094718.jpg20240120_095156.jpg20240120_095201.jpg

penguins_dont_fly is a Volunteer Community Mentor
Buying and Selling since 2013

Message 21 of 37
latest reply

@my-cottage-books-and-antiques wrote:

I didn't look at your listings, but from the posts it appears you sell jewelry, so just one quick suggestion: If you have stuff that is appropriate for Valentines Day gift giving, maybe play up that angle in your title (you can revise them again after the Holiday), Item Specific and/or description. Maybe a store category.

People are definitely searching for Valentines Day gifts /decor right now.

Why?  Do buyers actually search for stuff using Valentine's day gift in their search?  It is a serious question, I'm not trying to be snarky or anything, I sincerely don't understand why one would but this in their titles.  And if the items didn't sell by Valentines day, then there is all the work to revise the titles.

Message 22 of 37
latest reply

I know exactly what you mean.  I'm experiencing it too on some item.  Zero views on items that should be getting lots of attention.  Changes to titles or other things makes no difference.  It makes no sense at all.  I don't have any advice or knowledge of why this is, but wanted to say I've seen exactly the same thing.

Message 23 of 37
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

That's a good theory, but there is something going on here.  I'm seeing it, too.  Zero views on items for which it makes no sense at all.

Message 24 of 37
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

@mam98031 

There is a huge series of storms though, for real, and people are hunkering down.

Interesting... our eBay surge at the start of the pandemic was in cleaning supplies and toiletries.  Even with calculated shipping (so dim weight rating wouldn't kill us), we still were selling at a significant percentage above normal.  Continued for about a year, then started slowly dropping off.  Got real slow 5rd & 4th quarter in '23, but it's stabilized and starting to climb again since late December.  We sell a bit of everything and anything, so we don't get a lot of repeat buyers.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"
Message 25 of 37
latest reply

@penguins_dont_fly wrote:

@bigjsa-44 

I just wanted to add something regarding your pictures.

It doesn't take a professional camera or fancy equipment to take good pics.

Jewelry (and other reflective stuff) is hard, but there are a few things you can do.

Turn off your flash.

Use indirect lighting - "daylight" bulbs not directly focused on the item.

Use a plain background - black works best for silver items.

And bring the camera to the item, not the item to the camera.

I took 2 pics of one of my rings - with my phone - first with the flash on and hands (yuck) in the pic on a busy background - second on a lucite stand with a cheap piece of black satin cloth underneath. I also ran the ring through the sonic cleaner in between pics  (and cleaned my wedding set while I was at it - they definitely needed it LOL) 🙂

Besides the cleaning, it took me about a minute to set it up and if I had taken a bit longer, I could have messed with the lighting and background to make it better.  And a lucite ring sizer would help, but I digress 😉

The 3rd pic is just zoomed out form the second to show the setup.

20240120_095156.jpg

I definitely need to try something like this.  We've got a few hundred pieces of silver jewelry, mostly chains & bracelets, and I know the pics aren't the best, but they were the best I could do with what I had on hand.  Now I've got a better idea to try, and I love the reflection in the Lucite!

My other thought was to make the boss a cash offer (no fees, no shipping) and then take the lot to a jewelry buyer here in town.  Just not sure if Sterling Silver is worth all that much.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Message 26 of 37
latest reply

@electrola_man wrote:

I know exactly what you mean.  I'm experiencing it too on some item.  Zero views on items that should be getting lots of attention.  Changes to titles or other things makes no difference.  It makes no sense at all.  I don't have any advice or knowledge of why this is, but wanted to say I've seen exactly the same thing.

Well even without views, you have managed to get almost 20 sales so far this month.

Message 27 of 37
latest reply

@rosachs wrote:

@reallynicestamps wrote:

@mam98031 

Interesting... our eBay surge at the start of the pandemic was in cleaning supplies and toiletries.  Even with calculated shipping (so dim weight rating wouldn't kill us), we still were selling at a significant percentage above normal.  Continued for about a year, then started slowly dropping off.  Got real slow 5rd & 4th quarter in '23, but it's stabilized and starting to climb again since late December.  We sell a bit of everything and anything, so we don't get a lot of repeat buyers.

-Bob.

In bad weather people don't always have power.

Message 28 of 37
latest reply

@electrola_man wrote:

@inhawaii wrote:

That's a good theory, but there is something going on here.  I'm seeing it, too.  Zero views on items for which it makes no sense at all.

My experience tells me that when there are significantly more listings than there are searches/buyers, view counts will drop.  It has to do with Best Match not showing the exact same listings every single search.  If Search comes back with 100K listings, it's got to rotate thru that so that all the 10's get even exposure, and the others under that do too.

I've also noticed that Search is getting better at matching new/old listings that use the same keywords but just in a different order.  That would make the new listing rank the same as the old listing -- just as stale, just as unlikely to make first page.

Retail has never been a slam-dunk (or no store would ever go out of business), but online retail is worse.  IMHO.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Message 29 of 37
latest reply

Thank you very much for your feedback and time I really appreciate it. I sell 99% jewelry and I always take at least 10 pictures sometimes I take even more. I use a plain back drop so it gives a good clear image of the shape of the item or the diamond on the item. I use flash and no flash on each item because I sell a lot of iced out jewelry. So I use the flash to show off the shine the piece has so the buyer can see what it is going to look like in the sun and what type of shine it gives off. I make sure to include all the proper information on the item and a good detailed description. I've noticed something else recently you know when you list your item and you put the price in. Well eBay shows you a median price for what the item is selling for with other sellers. I've been noticing even though I describe it in detail and put all the proper specs on the item it can be a $500 item but eBay shows a $25 median price which is completely false. So I'm wondering if by them putting a incorrect median price on it and the actual price is way more if that makes the item not come up in people's searches. Have you noticed that issue when listing your items? I've never seen such in accurate median listing prices from eBay until about 3 or 4 months ago it started now it's way off on everything. It goes the other way as well it can be a $40 item and they say the median price is $400 not sure what is going on with that. 

Message 30 of 37
latest reply