cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting no views on some items.

I don't know what is going on but my sales in the past 3 to 4 months has dropped by a good 50%. I have a perfect feedback score and I have more items listed than ever before. The other issue I'm having is some of my items are getting absolutely no views while others are getting hundreds it doesn't make any sense. I make sure they are listed with search engine compliance I've been selling for years so I know what I'm doing when it comes to listing items. The other day I was like hmmm let's see what happens when I make several listings for the same item because I have the stock but change around the listing title. I will add other key words or will list it in a unisex or men's instead of women's or say simulated diamond instead of cubic zirconia and still those particular items no matter how I list them get absolutely no views. It doesn't make sense because I have had these exact same items in the past and they sold like hot cakes getting tons of views. Now those same things I sold last month with tons of views are sitting for weeks and not a single view on any of the listings. Has anyone else run into this issue and do you know what the reason is or how to fix it? This is my primary source of income I usually clear around 2 to 3k a month nothing crazy but enough to live on. Now I'm barely making 1k to 2k in total sales I'm drowning and I'm starting to panic since it's been a decline over a 4 month period. I know that my items are listed properly and should be picked up in the search algorithm. I'm just at a loss for trying to figure out what the problem is. Ebay customer service is absolutely no help they just say make sure to use key words to describe your items. Well you don't say 🤦 I just don't know what to do 

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Getting no views on some items.

Not that it matters with your views problem, but you indeed do not have "a perfect feedback score". 

Message 2 of 37
latest reply

You are mainly selling one category which happens to be a very narrow niche and somewhat high end.  That alone will cause a slow down at times as this is for a very narrow buying market

Message 3 of 37
latest reply

Many items show seasonal variations which are dramatic.

You do not appear to have a full year of selling yet.

Comparing to the same time in past years is often helpful.

Demand can vary wildly. Many jewelry sellers were complaining of poor sales when you say you were doing well.

Another measure to consider is whether your impressions are off. If they are close to past levels, your problem is lack of demand for your items or the quality of your listings, and no one is clicking through,

Message 4 of 37
latest reply

I've started ending our oldest listings at work, doing a wee bit of touch-up (and pricing research), and then relisting.  Getting a decent enough sell-thru on those that the boss doesn't mind if I keep doing it, along with listing the new stuff.  My personal experience, with my selling IDs and at work, is that after 60 days online without a sale, a listing starts sinking in Search.  After 90 days, it can easily be 2nd or 3rd page.  Some of the stock I'm reprocessing have been listed over 3yrs (SixBit tells me when the inventory record was created and the last time it was posted to eBay).

As other have stated, there are also seasonal fluctuations and some items are more 'want' than 'need', meaning they don't sell as well when times are tight (when the holiday credit card charges start showing up and you start thinking about tax time).  There are dozens of reasons - the key be successful selling anywhere it knowing how to spot those items and time, and then find a way to bring the shoppers back in spite of everything else.

Listing on eBay is easy.

Making a sale on eBay is not that hard.

Making a profit on an eBay sale can be tricky.

Making a living from your profits on eBay can be a good source of ulcers and GIRD (Gastro-Intestinal Reflux Disease).

You've reached that fourth stage, which is where things get really interesting and you may begin to wonder if you were right to roll these particular dice.  Been there, fought thru, got tired of fighting, went back to W2 job...doing exactly the same thing (I just don't have to worry about payroll taxes, rent, utilities, etc).

Take several of your slowest items and see who is still making sales on eBay.  Then look at their listings and pictures - what are they doing that you may also be able to do.

-Bob.

RKS Solutions LLC logo
Ask me about SixBit and the tools I use to sell - I'm happy to share!
"A journey of a thousand miles begins by getting off the couch"
Message 5 of 37
latest reply

@playwithitagaintoys wrote:

Not that it matters with your views problem, but you indeed do not have "a perfect feedback score". 

What?  One negative that really doesn't say anything specific.  That isn't going to hurt this seller at all.  A seller doesn't have to have a perfect score to sell here.

You have two neutrals.  Are they hurting you?

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 6 of 37
latest reply

You might consider working on your titles a bit.  Remember this is the most important area of a listing.  Think like a buyer and make sure you put words in your title that buyers are likely to search by.  Most important word at the beginning of the title.

I would strongly suggest you take the word "cheap" out of the title and description of this listing.  It is simply a word you should never use if you really want to sell something.  Put the size of the chain in the title and the style of the chain.  Maybe get the word in there that the color is silver.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/394318550911?hash=item5bcf37977f:g:Ye4AAOSwVVtjZE7I

The tripod listing  you might put the size in the title.  Earrings you have that you say are for babies or women, you might remove that as it is not likely something actually being searched for and replace it with the size of the earrings.  The size of hoops or the length of a dangle earring can be very important.  The skeleton Cross, maybe put pendant in the title.  I think you get the idea.  

Take advantage of the space you have in the title.  It very well may help.

I hope 2024 is a wonderful year for you.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 7 of 37
latest reply

I love jewelry and have bought a lot from eBay.  I dislike pics with peoples hands in them.  And a few of your pics have the items against a background that doesn't show the item off at all, it's lost.  In one pic the ring was turned away from the camera.  Not sure how you sold as much as you say.  But the other comments here make sense, there is a perception right now that the economy is bad, even though it isn't.  There is a huge series of storms though, for real, and people are hunkering down.  A lot of people across the country have no power.

We've been lucky, power has stayed on but no mail till today since Friday.  Hang in there and good luck to you.

Message 8 of 37
latest reply

@bigjsa-44 

Sorry for your frustration.  However Jewelry is a very saturated venue.  People are also tapped from the holidays financially.  I know, because that's what I sell, except mine is hand crafted. 

Views are just that....views.  You can have 500 views on an item and it doesn't mean its going to sell.  Views also don't pay the bills.  You need to work on your photo's a bit.  They're very dark and some still even have the tags on the box.  No need to photograph them.   I agree with others about hands in the photos.  Just photograph the item.  You also don't accept returns? Your items are somewhat expensive and that could cost you in the long run.  I would start accepting returns.  On eBay no returns does not mean no refunds.

Your items are rather expensive for a new seller.  Don't be surprised if eBay asks you for receipts of purchase for all these items.  Just giving you a heads up.  We're seeing it more and more from new sellers who have had their accounts put on hold due to selling new expensive items right off the bat.  Lots of stolen merchandise on this platform.  NOT saying this is your situation, but eBay is cracking down to clean this site up.  

You may want to lower your prices a bit as well.  That could help.

Happy Selling

Message 9 of 37
latest reply

@playwithitagaintoys wrote:

Oh, c'mon now.... Without even throwing the two sides to every story, get-out-of-jail free card into the mix, I personally wouldn't think that one negative and one neutral in 200+ sales deserves 50 lashes with a wet noodle. If I by-passed sellers with those kind of "not perfect" credentials, my ebay purchases would be cut in half. 

Message 10 of 37
latest reply

With the caveat that I know NOTHING about selling jewelry......... a couple of possible things I might do differently......

Old saw, but applicable perhaps here........if you are getting no views.....there's a problem with the title/price/pictures/shipping..........  If you are getting no sales, need to improve description........

Looking at your stuff....you have a number of items classified as  "mens", or "womans"...... in the title.....  and I can't understand why the differentiation.  That could be discourage one sex or the other in looking more closely at the item.  

You have a number of skull stuff...........but without a "gothic" or like Keywords in the title. 

On watches, I see if you have any questions about the brand please don't hesitate to ask thanks for looking at the end of the description...........that kind of puts me off....  If it's unbranded, says so.....  also, tho you say book and box are included.......none are shown in pics. 

On Crosses, Pendants with Jesus.......Christian ought to be somewhere in the title....... I would also use a "sizer"  in the gallery photo.......a coin or something to show relative size. 

I don't have an objection to hands......but necklace or ring "holder" would display the items better....in my opinion.

just some suggestions......which may be worthless.........

Message 11 of 37
latest reply

@bigjsa-44 
   Look up (search) some of your items to be sure you can find/see them.  
Sort Low to High to be sure you can still see them, and to be sure your price is competitive.
Sort/Filter a different way (like you think your shoppers would).
Then Filter to SOLD to see if items like yours are selling, and for how much $$.

Message 12 of 37
latest reply

I agree, that's why I specifically said it doesn't play a role in his low views problem lol. I was just pointing out the inaccurate statement.

Message 13 of 37
latest reply

I would work on your photos - given the quality and price range you're selling in, it's better if they're more professional. No hands - use a few small props instead - better lighting and less distraction in the background. You really want your photos to pop because many jewellery sellers have really good photos. I know jewellery is tough to photo - I've sold a fair amount of it myself in the past. I've used clear mason jars, a wooden ball, a coffee mug, small black stone, etc. for my props. Stuff I have around the house. You've got some good photos already - clear and without distraction, so I'd keep going that way. 

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 14 of 37
latest reply

I have a wild, crazy theory.

No views = Nobody is interested in the item.

Undone - Bachman & Cummings
Message 15 of 37
latest reply