cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTC Curse?

So, around June 1 my sales went from great to zero.

June's sales were down 40%, July was down 20% and Aug another 20%.  August was a great month for me last year so I am baffled.

I started changing my listings to GTC in May. Do you think this was the cause?  Was it punishment for not playing the Free Returns game?  

Any help would be appreciated. My sales are barely over last year's and I have at least double the listings.

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: GTC Curse?

@banana*shoe*boutique wrote:

@zamo-zuan wrote:

There was a lot of visibility issues that started in 2018, so I wouldn't necessarily blame it on that.

But GTC does have some risk. If your listing goes above 90 days unsold, it becomes "Stagnant". This severely harms your placement in search.

If your items sell within that time, it will help placement. But if you dont sell in that time... you may want to close and sell similar (to make sure its a fully fresh new listing).

Free returns... up until June it was not actually helping search. I don't know July onward yet, statistics are not all available yet. Something has changed in search, but I don't know if free returns are a contributor.

@zamo-zuan

So if I end listings and just relist that won't help?  Shoot I just did that on like 150 listings.  I need to list as similar??!! EEK!

A regular relist keeps all the data from the original listing, good or bad.

If you sell as similar, its like creating a completely new listing with wiped statistics.

It's better to have no statistics, than stagnant statistics.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 12 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

I've been having the same problem since April, that's when my sales dropped. I'm down 50% from last year, and down 35% from last month. People here always says do not use GTC because the listings become stale, and need to be refreshed. I changed a lot of mine, but didn't notice a difference. So, I'm going to assume it's the not offering free returns, and guaranteed delivery. I do not offer those either.  Haven't sold 1 thing in 3 days.

Was looking at 1 of the bigger clothing sellers a bit ago, and they have sold over 200 items today alone.  They have most things priced between .99 - 6.00 with 6.99 shipping. I can't compete with that.       

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

A couple of the vloggers were saying the same thing. Not all their items show in their stores and when doing a search the top placement are items from seller's with low feedback. Every week the algorithm seems to change.

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

A couple of the vloggers were saying the same thing. Not all their items show in their stores and when doing a search the top placement are items from seller's with low feedback. Every week the algorithm seems to change.

I have also noticed some things not showing in the Google search either.  I like to know how things work, so I can make adjustments.  Can't keep up if things don't work properly.

So, you don't think low sales are because I don't offer free returns of GTD?  

Thank you, I aways appreciate your honest responses. 

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Were in the same boat our sales have been under last year until just the other day.  We dont think you were punished but most buyers are going to go with free shipping as opposed to not.  Best regards

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

@tweetystwades wrote:

@tunicaslot wrote:

I have also noticed some things not showing in the Google search either.  I like to know how things work, so I can make adjustments.  Can't keep up if things don't work properly.

So, you don't think low sales are because I don't offer free returns of GTD?  

Thank you, I aways appreciate your honest responses. 

I tried free returns on 1/4 of my items for a couple of months. I had 1 sale so no longer offer free returns. I don't think GTD has anything to do with it either. As I've stated before - I was Top Rated Plus - had GSP, long return policy, free shipping, GTD and tried the free returns - sales were very slow while others that didn't belong to 1/2 of what I did and charged for shipping had great sales - so I decided to do what was easiest and best for me. 

Sales are slow on both of the other venues I have items on so it's not just Ebay. Yes we have our glitches but there are so many places that people can shop today.  I'm trying another venue today for many of my items as this place seems to be where the buyers are shopping for clothing now. Other things I'm moving to Betsy. All will still be available here but there isn't the harsh rules and regulations we have here if you do cancel. Buyers pay for shipping and the buyers actually have to prove SNAD unlike here. I love Ebay - but the direction they are going is not in my best interest. 

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

There was a lot of visibility issues that started in 2018, so I wouldn't necessarily blame it on that.

But GTC does have some risk. If your listing goes above 90 days unsold, it becomes "Stagnant". This severely harms your placement in search.

If your items sell within that time, it will help placement. But if you dont sell in that time... you may want to close and sell similar (to make sure its a fully fresh new listing).

Free returns... up until June it was not actually helping search. I don't know July onward yet, statistics are not all available yet. Something has changed in search, but I don't know if free returns are a contributor.

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Yeah, selling online is certainly not what it use to be. There are so many rules here it's hard to keep up, plus my heart stops every time a seller update is released.  I have a few things on Betsy, but no sales as of yet. Do you mind me asking the new venue you are trying today?

Thank you!

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

So, around June 1 my sales went from great to zero.

June's sales were down 40%, July was down 20% and Aug another 20%.  August was a great month for me last year so I am baffled.

I started changing my listings to GTC in May. Do you think this was the cause?  Was it punishment for not playing the Free Returns game?  

Any help would be appreciated. My sales are barely over last year's and I have at least double the listings.

Nothing will help, maybe temporarily if you list new or relist but within a day or two, ebay system picks it up and puts you right back where you were. Once ebay decides to hide your listings, they will do that but give you a few hours of visibility to pay your ebay bill.

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

@zamo-zuan wrote:

@zamo-zuan

So if I end listings and just relist that won't help?  Shoot I just did that on like 150 listings.  I need to list as similar??!! EEK!

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Yes, that's correct, I'm sorry to say.

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

@zamo-zuan wrote:

@zamo-zuan

A regular relist keeps all the data from the original listing, good or bad.

If you sell as similar, its like creating a completely new listing with wiped statistics.

It's better to have no statistics, than stagnant statistics.

Message 12 of 12
latest reply