cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Free returns' in 2021? Opinions?

So in the past I've heard some positive things about sellers going with the 'free returns' policy and that it cuts down on headaches from SNADs.

I was just wondering though in 2021 and really since corona has began, is free returns any better or worse than it used to be? Or the same? Have those of you with free returns seen any increase in the last year in returns?

One other question: if you offer free returns, can someone still open a SNAD? I was wondering how that 50% refund thing works if you offer free returns... like if they can open a SNAD and they return junk to you, can you still subtract 50% or is it only if they use the 'free return' option? (Hope my question makes sense).

Thanks to all those who can offer an opinion!

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

We've used the free returns for over a year and have gotten very few. We sell books and were concerned that people would read them, then send them back. Hasn't happened. (yet)

Not sure of the answer to your question. I think they can still SNAD you. We've never charged that 50% and, unless you have enough sales to cover bad feedbacks, I'd advise against it.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

You don't need 'free' returns to use the 50%; but note that the 50% can only be used 'very seldom' and you should give good reason why. 

All of this totally depends on what you sell.  Some categories get lots of returns (clothes, jewelry) as some all sizing is different, nobody uses the 'measure tape' and some will utilize items for an 'event' and then return. Anything else, just do 'customer pays' and if the item is SNAD, so be it. Overall, it will be very few and far between in most categories. 

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

gjs_16
Guide

All I know is this:

$30 Item + Free Shipping + Free Returns = $60 Item.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

You don't need 'free' returns to use the 50%; but note that the 50% can only be used 'very seldom' and you should give good reason why. 

All of this totally depends on what you sell.  Some categories get lots of returns (clothes, jewelry) as some all sizing is different, nobody uses the 'measure tape' and some will utilize items for an 'event' and then return. Anything else, just do 'customer pays' and if the item is SNAD, so be it. Overall, it will be very few and far between in most categories. 

Yeah I meant like if someone tries to scam you.

Example: They buy $200 electronic item and file SNAD and send back a rock. I was wondering if I could only refund $100 if I was offering free returns. (I deal in electronics so thats why I was wondering).

Message 5 of 15
latest reply

Hi, i don’t sweat returns, have been doing free returns for multiple years now, even long before eBay began pushing for it. My two motivations for doing it was to make it unnecessary for a buyer to claim SNAD to get a free return. And, maybe even more importantly, to provide a drama-free transaction for my buyers (and myself). 

In all that time, i have had just two returns, both for fit issues. Since my return rate is very low, offering free returns has been a useful choice for me. It gives my buyers peace of mind and confidence in my items. Have never had a case opened for SNAD or INR against me.

When i set my pricing, i add on an extra fifty cents or dollar to every item, to cover a possible future return.

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@jonathankirkland I've always offered free returns and the last time I actually had a return was end of 2019. It was a DVD that buyer claimed their child ordered without permission. So covid has not affected my free returns in the slightest. 

Second question: yes a buyer can still open an INAD but because I offer free returns there is no reason for them to do so. So while you cannot necessarily avoid a INAD, you somewhat are avoiding them by not forcing a buyer to have to select that option. Make sense? 

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@lamber9347 wrote:

Second question: yes a buyer can still open an INAD but because I offer free returns there is no reason for them to do so. So while you cannot necessarily avoid a INAD, you somewhat are avoiding them by not forcing a buyer to have to select that option. Make sense? 

Yes I understand. But if a scammer wants to scam, if they're smart enough, the would open the INAD instead. And in that case could I still return only 50% of the money is my question?

Basically I'm wondering if the free returns is a deterrent or not for scammers looking to score free stuff. Sure even 50% off is a great deal but I think the scammers would rather go where they can get 100% off ,if you get my point.

So in summation: Scammer opens INAD case, sends me back a rock. Can I subtract 50% of the purchase price or not?  @lamber9347 

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

Great topic of discussion and I look forward to seeing varied but interesting responses.

At present I do not offer FREE returns so following is not based on experience.

It should cut down on SNAD cases as currently there are buyers who use this simply to avoid paying return postage.

I do not believe that there will be a significant increase in overall net sales (Total sales minus returns) and this is based on likes of ASOS thinking about doing away with FREE returns.

We all know that there is no such thing as FREE and seller do and will add these additional postage costs of returns and then some to their selling price which will mean an increase in income for Payment processing/ Pay pal, Postal service providers, and if the overall net sales increase then marginal benefit for eBay and the seller but a big loss for those buyers who do not return items and more processing work for the seller.

As a TRS I have this choice of 50% refund but to date I have not used this as in my view this tool is for those transactions where buyer returns an item in significantly different condition to what was supplied and in my case that means item not being in a condition to resell (Which I have had) and even then I would be hesitant to do this as this will effect my seller metrics and for processing partial refund final value fees are not refunded.

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@jonathankirkland Yes, you can hold back up to 50% as long as you are TRS and offer free returns. Those are the two stipulations. However look at the last line below, it's a way out for eBay. If you withhold 50% and buyer asks eBay to get involved, they will then decide on buyer's behalf. So no guarantees on anything. 

Your track record matters – coverage for Top Rated Sellers

Top Rated Sellers (TRS) who reside in the US or Canada and offer 30 day or longer returns are protected on items listed on eBay.com when:

An item is returned after it was used or damaged by the buyer
You can deduct up to 50% from the refund to recover the lost value of the item
We will work directly with the buyer to resolve any issues associated with the item being returned, including removing any negative and neutral feedback, defects, and open cases in service metrics
If we are asked to step in and help, you will no longer be able to issue a partial refund to the buyer.

Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Been offering free shipping and returns for over 7 years. Rarely have any problems with this. Not anymore returns than average and it cuts down on any nonsense with buyers. Never used the 50 percent off thingy becuase I never have had to. Everybody has returned stuff completely as it was sent. Probably has increased my sales overall for quite some time. Try out you may like it.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

Yes, they can still call the return a SNAD in terms of defective etc.

Message 12 of 15
latest reply

Probably deters the pro scammers becuase they do not want to be scammed themselves LOL out of 50 percent.

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@jonathankirkland wrote:

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

Yeah I meant like if someone tries to scam you.

Example: They buy $200 electronic item and file SNAD and send back a rock. I was wondering if I could only refund $100 if I was offering free returns. (I deal in electronics so thats why I was wondering).

If I offer a $200 item with free returns it becomes a $240-$250 item.
Because even if I'm not scammed I end up paying both legs of the shipping, say it's a priority item, we're talking $15-$20 each leg, that's $30-$40 I won't get back...
You could also add insurance, I sometimes do.

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Thanks for all the great responses. I think I have enough info to make my decision but anyone else who wants to post feel free. 🙂

Message 15 of 15
latest reply