cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraud

Watch out USA people! For the second year in a row, I've gotten a 1099 from eBay and I havent sold one thing or even have a seller account (totals a little over $13k)! I've been assured that they will cancel the 1099 (again for the second time), but I don't hold much hope. I'm seriously considering canceling my eBay account altogether and never dealing with them again.  Let alone turning it over to the state police. Thanks to this, I now have to wait for the IRS to send me a PIN number to file my taxes.  Just be careful and watch your mail y'all!

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Fraud

Watch out USA people! For the second year in a row, I've gotten a 1099 from eBay and I havent sold one thing or even have a seller account (totals a little over $13k)! I've been assured that they will cancel the 1099 (again for the second time), but I don't hold much hope. I'm seriously considering canceling my eBay account altogether and never dealing with them again.  Let alone turning it over to the state police. Thanks to this, I now have to wait for the IRS to send me a PIN number to file my taxes.  Just be careful and watch your mail y'all!

This is something you need to contact the IRS about or maybe you have already. Either somebody is using your SSN and possibly other information on their account or eBay has an internal problem either way eBay is probably not going to take the initiative on their own. It's obvious they did nothing last year. Once the IRS  contacts them it should get taken care of.

If you called eBay the call in customer support is pretty much useless and they will tell you what you want to hear togbet you off the line. The IRS contact number is 800-829-1040

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Fraud

Is your ebay ID also on the form? 

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Fraud

Is your ebay ID also on the form? 

It should be. Bottom left corner

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Fraud

@booger-cat2 wrote:

@booger-cat2 sorry to hear this has happened to you again. There were quite a few reports last year from people whose identity info had been stolen and used to create accounts on eBay without their knowledge - they only found out about it when they got the 1099-K for the fraudulent accounts.

Out of curiosity, is it the same seller account showing both last year and this year? If so, that's really bad - that would mean eBay didn't shut it down after you reported it last year. 😲

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

Fraud

All they say is it will take 10 days to investigate. They even acknowledged that there is no seller set up on my account. There is only what might be a user name of kucekva2 on the 1099. No clue who this is and doing an advanced search on eBay turns up nothing.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Fraud

Not mine. One I don't recognize. 

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Fraud

I'll have to look when I get home. But funny thing, the last sales were in June. Just about the time I froze my credit last year.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Fraud

Looks like they were indeed a scammer and have been removed from the eBay site.

https://feedback.ebay.com/fdbk/feedback_profile/kucekva2

Good luck cleaning this up.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Fraud

@booger-cat2 wrote:

I'll have to look when I get home. But funny thing, the last sales were in June. Just about the time I froze my credit last year.

And, probably about when the seller was kicked off eBay. The timing was probably coincidence. I don't think that freezing your credit would have had any effect on eBay suspending the seller; but probably reporting that they fraudulently used your name and SSN did.

Was it the same user ID that was on the 1099-K from last year too?

image.png

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Fraud

All they say is it will take 10 days to investigate. They even acknowledged that there is no seller set up on my account. There is only what might be a user name of kucekva2 on the 1099. No clue who this is and doing an advanced search on eBay turns up nothing.

EBay has until the 14th of February to fix the problem but simply canceling the 1099 is not the solution they need to identify the person who has sold these items and fix the situation. After the 14th you should contact the IRS if they have not permanently fixed the problem and told you how they fixed it. If eBay fails to tell you how they fixed it, since they failed to do so last year, I would still call the IRS. 

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

Fraud

@booger-cat2 wrote:

All they say is it will take 10 days to investigate. They even acknowledged that there is no seller set up on my account. There is only what might be a user name of (account ID redacted) on the 1099. No clue who this is and doing an advanced search on eBay turns up nothing.

That ID on the 1099 is suspended. 

albertabrightalberta
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Fraud

Looks like they were indeed a scammer and have been removed from the eBay site.

Good luck cleaning this up.

There is fraud taking place here but it is not eBay it's the person using your SSN. If eBay has not done so I would still call the IRS and SS as well as filing a report with the FBI. Who's to say if this individual simply has not setup another account on eBay or is using your information on another ecommerce site. Following is the link to the FBI Cyber crimes reporting division.

https://www.ic3.gov/ 

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Fraud

How is this fraud?

What dos ebay have to gain by sending you a "fake" 1099?

This is simply a mistake that needs to be corrected.

Strange Way - Firefall
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Fraud

@inhawaii wrote:

How is this fraud?

A scammer gained access to the account earlier last year and scored several sales before getting booted from the site. Because the OP's account info was used for the sales, he got the 1099 for the gross income from those sales.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply