cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fishing lures

Hello

My brother gave me his fishing lures to see if they will sell on eBay.  I have been researching and have a question.  Hopefully someone will have an answer.   On one of  the sites a lure was for say for $1.95.    Free standard shipping.  Wouldn't the shipping be more than the price of the lure??  How does he do this ?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Fishing lures

Depends

maybe the lure was drop shipped from China? 

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Fishing lures

How new is that seller?  Plus there are some misguided sellers here who will list with free shipping because they think that means no one has to pay the USPS, FedEx or whoever.  

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Fishing lures

@126celler wrote:

On one of  the sites a lure was for say for $1.95.    Free standard shipping.  Wouldn't the shipping be more than the price of the lure??  How does he do this ?

You didn't say which site that was, but if it was here, it might be a junk Chinese copy that they can ship to the U.S. for pennies. 

Speaking a little more optimistically, if it was actually an auction, it might have a low starting price because the seller knows the bidding will take it much higher, and given that lures don't weigh very much, the seller may be willing to eat the postage costs, which for First Class Package would be just a few bucks.

Make sure that you're searching Completed listings and Sold listings, so that you can see what a given design of lure actually sold for (or didn't sell for).

Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Fishing lures

True,

seen many that post here upset because they were charged shipping 

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Fishing lures

Just doing a generic search on eBay for "fishing lures", I get over 206,000 results.

If I select "US Sellers" only, that goes down to just over 57,000.

In the past, China subsidized postage. So a Seller from China could ship to you for free,

but if they send the wrong item, it would cost a fortune to return it. 

Many of the US Sellers selling fishing lures seem to sell via auctions, hoping to drive up the price.

Maybe they make it up in volume!

Organizer: eBay Meetup Group: S.E. Michigan Online Sellers, Resellers & Thrifters eBay Etc
Organizer: eCommerce, eBay and Online Sellers Mastermind Meetup Group
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Fishing lures

The only lures worth selling are vintage lures from the 1960s or before.  Otherwise, best to just lot them up in larger groupings.

Message 7 of 10
latest reply

Fishing lures

@fashionsandbeauty4u wrote:

Many of the US Sellers selling fishing lures seem to sell via auctions, hoping to drive up the price.

Maybe they make it up in volume!

Some of them make it up in price. Vintage lures made by local craftsmen in different parts of the country can go for big bucks - especially older ones. I was going to bid on one that a relative had asked me to get last month - but then she told me not to bother after the bidding went over $50 and I hadnt even gotten into it yet.

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Fishing lures

Thank you all for your insight.    I went back on the seller that had the lure listed for actually $1.59 free shipping.    Couldn't see feedback but was able to see seller is based in China.   

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

Fishing lures

First if it's out of China it's probably junk. Second the Chinese government augments the postal service so for sellers out of China shipping is pretty much free. 

I have sold a few lures on eBay and quite a few through local forums. Do some research on the lures you have some of them can be quite valuable especially the older vintage wooden ones as well as the Rapala, Hinkle and some other brand name lures. There are some avid lure collectors out there. Take a look at some of the lures that have actually sold and you can get an idea of how avid some of the collectors are. 

Even the more modern lures are not cheap if you buy them in the store but best to bundle those into a group. 

Message 10 of 10
latest reply