cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First image on ebay is really small. Bug in developer console.

The first image of any listing (not just mine) is appearing very blurred. The error in the console says that width is undefined. Please fix it as i have a majority of auctions ending this weekend and it throws buyers off when they can't see a clear first photo, especially since the condition matters a lot for what i am selling. 

Message 1 of 27
latest reply
26 REPLIES 26

Yep, I have the same problem. All of a sudden, all of my cover images are teeny, tiny. Ebay resized them to 500X500 pixels. I uploaded all of them at  1600X1600 pixels. The tiny images look ridiculous and unappealing on the desktop. What's even more ridiculous is that while the 1st image is tiny, but all the subsequent images are full size. It's quite jarring to scroll to the second image as there is a big jump in photo size. 

What's worse, if I end my listing, download the tiny image and resize it back to 1600X1600 (which makes the image grainy, btw) and then upload the newly resized image to my listing and send the listing live, the cover image once again gets miniaturized by eBay to 500XX500!  

Ebay has ruined the first image on every single one of my listings now. To get a truly clear image at the resolution that is decent (as opposed to resizing up which makes images look grainy), I would have to re-photograph everything.... though no point in that if eBay is going to miniaturize the cover shots as soon as I sent a listing live. WTH, eBay?  This not a good experience for buyers! 

I reached out to Customer Service and they couldn't  understand what I was talking about.  45 minutes wasted trying to explain it and then waiting while the agent tried in vain to research the problem. I suggested the agent put me on the line with their supervisor, to which the agent said the supervisor didn't have any more access to resources than he did. (They all work from the same scripts and uninformed knowledge base, in other words.)

Anyone else experience this? Any known resolution?

Message 2 of 27
latest reply

It is likely the quality and size of your pic.  Go into the pic and adjust it.  One side or the other needs to be at least 800 pixels to enable the zoom function.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 3 of 27
latest reply

@vtgcards-com 

@mam98031 

It is likely the quality and size of your pic.  Go into the pic and adjust it.  One side or the other needs to be at least 800 pixels to enable the zoom function.

No, it is definitely an eBay bug in their software.

Didn't happen before. First picture is tiny and doesn't enlarge. Other pictures are fine. If I edit the listing and switch the first and second picture get same results with 1st picture being small (but now the 2nd picture (that was the small 1st picture) displays large). 

Too bad sellers can't charge eBay for defect that affect their selling.  🙄

Message 4 of 27
latest reply

Then you may be better served to post this on the Technical board.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Share-eBay-Technical-Issues/bd-p/technicalissues-db

Message 5 of 27
latest reply

I am not the original poster. I was responding to @vtgcards-com.

When eBay has a board that involves eBay Developers/Management listening to sellers concerns and prioritizing bug fixes and product enhancements, I will be glad to participate. 

Message 6 of 27
latest reply

@mybigsale wrote:

When eBay has a board that involves eBay Developers/Management listening to sellers concerns and prioritizing bug fixes and product enhancements, I will be glad to participate. 

Then you should try the Technical board.

Message 7 of 27
latest reply

there's a thread in the technical issues page, but i doubt they will fix it before my auctions end this sunday. 

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Share-eBay-Technical-Issues/Unable-to-see-full-resolution-of-my-images...

Message 8 of 27
latest reply

your listings are the same way

Message 9 of 27
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@mybigsale wrote:

Then you should try the Technical board.

Why should I try the technical board?

It is still a user-to-user board with a little more participation of eBay moderators. Users can (sometimes) get updates and report issues. I don't see that it is an official path to get "bug fixes and product enhancements".

In my over 20 years on eBay, I found it more affective to come up with my own workarounds then try and get moderators to suggest changes to eBay Development/Management. I have not really seen any great suggestions from all the eBay sellers for enhancements acknowledged by eBay - let alone acted upon.

Changes are in the form of eBay independent of sellers determining what is best for sellers - like the recent change to packing slips. Thank you? The new packing slip format does not meet my needs. What sellers asked for the change?

Message 10 of 27
latest reply

@vtgcards-com wrote:

They don't when I look at them.  Nor do yours when I look at them.

Message 11 of 27
latest reply

Slow down.  I didn't say you had to.  It was merely a suggestion.  If you are looking for answers, then it is quite possible you may find them there.  It doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

Message 12 of 27
latest reply

Just for information........I don't see any difference in the first 2 posters image from what I normally see......so is not affecting everyone.

Screenshot (366).png

Message 13 of 27
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

@vtgcards-com wrote:

They don't when I look at them.  Nor do yours when I look at them.

Both of your listings show small 1st picture for me.

Could be related to operating system, browser, etc. ???

I am using Windows. Get same issue with Chrome and Edge browsers.

Message 14 of 27
latest reply

I simply have no answers for you.  I'm using a desktop with the most current version of Windows and Chrome is my browser.

Message 15 of 27
latest reply