cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding actual sales price on a best offer sale

Hi sellers--- I have some holiday items to sell and some just like mine have sold with "best offer accepted". The original price is shown with a line through it.  I recall that there was a way to find out the actual selling price.  I cannot remember how to do it  and I do not know if it is still possible. Is it still possible and if so how do I do it ?  Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 25
latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Why would that information make any difference to a seller?  No one else is in a better position to know what price point is right for you to make a sale than you are. If an offer meets your needs and desires, take it, it is apples and oranges to what anyone else has paid or sold for. This is not meant to be a snarky type response in any way.

If I were accepting offers on any item, I would have a firm price in mind that met my needs and expectations. 

Message 2 of 25
latest reply

@upgradedendmills wrote:

Why would that information make any difference to a seller?  No one else is in a better position to know what price point is right for you to make a sale than you are. If an offer meets your needs and desires, take it, it is apples and oranges to what anyone else has paid or sold for. This is not meant to be a snarky type response in any way.

If I were accepting offers on any item, I would have a firm price in mind that met my needs and expectations. 

Say I have a random token... I want to know if one has sold on eBay and what it sold for. Yes I know I paid a dollar for it in a junk bin, and I could sell it for $5-10 which would be a reasonable amount of profit in a $1 item. However, knowing one sold online for $100 gives me an idea of the item's actual value. The reality is, it was in the junk bin because no one at the shop knew what it was.

I combined through our token boxes this week, everything was marked 50% off to be sold at a coin shows. I found a number of things I had to fix prices on just because I knew the item was worth way more than the appraiser valued it at. I have the advantage of reading languages he can't, so I know what  the item is.

Unfortunately for me, in many cases I have something unique, and there isn't one to compare it to on eBay.

C.

Message 3 of 25
latest reply

I asked the question because it referenced what someone else had accepted as a best offer. It doesn't seem like what another seller accepted would have anything to do with actual value of any item. Most of the items I sell are things that I am very familiar with and have established selling prices and history. It used to be that you could get a fair value for just about any item by using auctions, but I'm not sure that is true any longer.  I can see using "sold" items as a basis for pricing items, but not accepted offers, and was curious about it.

Message 4 of 25
latest reply

@upgradedendmills wrote:

I asked the question because it referenced what someone else had accepted as a best offer. It doesn't seem like what another seller accepted would have anything to do with actual value of any item. Most of the items I sell are things that I am very familiar with and have established selling prices and history. It used to be that you could get a fair value for just about any item by using auctions, but I'm not sure that is true any longer.  I can see using "sold" items as a basis for pricing items, but not accepted offers, and was curious about it.

The op wants to see what buyers have recently paid for specific items. When a seller is researching sold items, I don't understand why you think there is a difference between seeing a buy it now sold price and seeing the final price for an item that sold through the best offer function. Either way, the item has been sold and can give the seller an idea of what people are willing to pay.

I can understand why the best offer price is not shown...but I can also understand why someone would want to see it.

Message 5 of 25
latest reply

I also seem to remember people talking about a way to see the best offer price although I don't remember how and I would be surprised if it is still possible to do that.

Message 6 of 25
latest reply

When search results are sorted by price, the actual selling price for Sold items is used.  

Message 7 of 25
latest reply

In my feeble old mind there is a difference in what an item would or should sell for without best offer enabled and what it would sell for or not with a firm fixed price. No argument, just my way of looking at sales. Part of this is because there was a poster the other day saying they were desperate enough to accept offers that were netting them 19 cents.  We all have different circumstances and timing and have no idea how that pertains to a seller taking an offer on any given item. I would think that an accepted offer would be considered a minimum baseline for pricing based on recent buyer perceptions of items for sale.

Message 8 of 25
latest reply

@upgradedendmills wrote:

Why would that information make any difference to a seller?  No one else is in a better position to know what price point is right for you to make a sale than you are. I would have a firm price in mind that met my needs and expectations. 

IMO there is a BIG difference. Almost every complaint about low sales is because the seller has some sort of magical "price point" and stays firm with that. Buyers will only pay so much for items, especially on Ebay. If you don't price your items in the range in which buyers are willing to pay and at a price in which other sellers have listed you can end up to 70% decline as it is proven over and over again. Those are the same people who use Ebay as their excuse for lack of sales. The reasons given are endless.

Message 9 of 25
latest reply

Just curious - why "especially on ebay"?
Message 10 of 25
latest reply

@pink.fish.rule wrote:
Just curious - why "especially on ebay"?

Talk to your friends, your family members, and your co-workers and ask them. You should see a trend that could amaze you.

Message 11 of 25
latest reply

So that would be a 'no' on a straight answer then?
Message 12 of 25
latest reply

The point I was trying to make is that with low sales recently,  I think there are lots of sellers out there accepting really low offers just to generate a sale. This seems to be snowballing and I don't think it is a good basis for setting prices to start a listing at.  If I can't get a decent price for my items I will stop listing. I have never once complained here about a lack of sales or prices.  If other sellers choose to give away their items, that is their business. 

Message 13 of 25
latest reply

Those are the kind of answers you get from people with a herd mentality. Especially on eBay.

Message 14 of 25
latest reply

@upgradedendmills wrote:

The point I was trying to make is that with low sales recently,  I think there are lots of sellers out there accepting really low offers just to generate a sale. 

IMO, this may be balanced out by sellers with prices set so high they will never make a sale.

Either way, it would take a lot of data points to determine a valid trend or price point.  Just a few sales to compare, unless the end result were the same in each, would be hard to tell if the selling price were an outlier or an average.

Message 15 of 25
latest reply