cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Final Value Fees too High

Can someone please clarify the outrageous FVF fees. Here is an example.....I just sold an action figure set for $29.99 USD. I was charged a FVF of $5.48+.30. Now I understand the stand .30cents but why was the $5.48 (18%) taken from the sale. I sell mostly figure and Funk POP and as I am looking at the FVFs they are all above 13%. I am rated as a Top Seller as well. I thought the FVF were 12.35%.

Definitely will stop selling on eBay for now. Between these FVFs and the horrible forced acceptance of managed payments, it does't make sense anymore. 

Message 1 of 74
latest reply
73 REPLIES 73

Re: Final Value Fees too High

@usdon_9hmt9 wrote:

That's why I said (estimate) maybe you should read my post again. Most items listed on Ebay sell within a specific range from the price listed. You would rarely if ever find an item listed for $100 that sold for 2$. The estimate would be non binding. I think most people could grasp this concept.

Instead of expecting eBay to do your homework for you, why don't you look up sales history on your items, add your expected shipping charge, and multiply by 0.1235? I don't think anyone here is interested in a bunch of threads complaining because eBay underestimated what the FVF on their auction would be.

Message 31 of 74
latest reply

For sellers in MP eBay's final value fees of 12.35%+ $0.30 are based on the gross amount  item+shipping+taxes.

For sellers not in MP eBay's/PayPal's  final value fees of 12.9 %+ $0.30 are based on the gross amount  item+shipping+taxes.

The only benefits with MP is that with cancellations we only lose the $0.30 transaction fee.  With PayPal you still lost their 2.9%.  When we have returns we also lose the $0.30 transaction fee, but are credited back the final value fees.

Message 32 of 74
latest reply

@usdon_9hmt9 wrote:

I think a sliding scale would be more appropriate. a $7 fee on a $60 item, or a $65 fee on a $500 item. Both require the same amount of oversight by Ebay. I'm not interested in worldwide access, but I know many are.

But again, these are just my opinions. I am an infrequent seller who uses craigslist and similar sites as well. If the majority of sellers on Ebay think the fee structure is fair and equitable, then they will continue to use the platform and that's all that really matters.

That isn't how it works here and isn't likely something they are going to move to.  So it is best to deal with the rules in which actually govern the site for your best results.  Typically a seller should be able to calculate their own FVFs as long as they know what their fees are and that is part of the responsibility of the seller.

To develop your product price you should know what your potential FVF would be.  Without that you can't price your items accurately or come up with a minimum price to have on an auction.  This is something the seller is responsible for.  Ebay publishes all the fees, the sellers need to read and know the policy.

Ebay also has fee calculator programs too.  Just Google it, you should be able to find it easy enough.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 33 of 74
latest reply

"For sellers not in MP eBay's/PayPal's  final value fees of 12.9 %+ $0.30 are based on the gross amount  item+shipping+taxes."

eBay's FVF of 10% is charged on the item + shipping only

Message 34 of 74
latest reply

I would suggest researching the actual costs of selling on several other platforms before chucking your whole time history here.   Complaining to other sellers won't change a thing.

Message 35 of 74
latest reply

Well, what's the community for? 

If all you do is speak on behalf of the eBay stance and further frustrate a frustrating issue for sellers and the buyers are just lowballing the sellers just for the deal; sellers will voice themselves and leave the platform until eBay gets competition.  Facebook, Amazon, and any upstart should take notice. That's my opinion. 

Message 36 of 74
latest reply

@2-fathom1 wrote:

Well, what's the community for? 

If all you do is speak on behalf of the eBay stance and further frustrate a frustrating issue for sellers and the buyers are just lowballing the sellers just for the deal; sellers will voice themselves and leave the platform until eBay gets competition.  Facebook, Amazon, and any upstart should take notice. That's my opinion. 

Apparently it's to let people pull up old threads from November 2020. Not terribly useful.

Message 37 of 74
latest reply

Ebay charges you a final value fee on your item plus the tax that they charge the buyer. SO the more you charge the higher the tax the more ebay makes.

Message 38 of 74
latest reply

@rvonohlsen wrote:

Ebay charges you a final value fee on your item plus the tax that they charge the buyer. SO the more you charge the higher the tax the more ebay makes.

Well yes and no.  If that sale is in a state that has sales tax, then yes.  If it is in a state that does not have sales tax, then no.

Looking at one transaction or one type of transaction will not give you an accurate view of the impact MP fees makes to your account over what you use to pay before MP.  The sales that are in states with no sales tax have lower FVFs than you paid before entering MP.  To get an accurate look as to how the fees will impact your account, you need to compare at least a months worth of sales.  Once you do that you will likely find that it is a far more neutral change in total month fees.

And now with the announced fee increase that PayPal has announced for next month the difference grows.

Message 39 of 74
latest reply

Hi - You are absolutely correct. The ebay's fees are way too high. People will quote policies & ebay rules at you. They will also tell you how high other sites are. These are all deflections.             A rule or policy does not make something OK to do. What other sites charge does not invalidate what you are saying. You are talking about the ebay only. If amazon is guilty of something, it doesn't make the ebay less guilty for doing the same thing.              Another thing, what gives the ebay the right (as in the right thing to do), to charge sellers more that have a poor rating? If they are so bad that they have to pay more to sell, why then let them sell at all?                  I think maybe the excessive quest for more money may be the ebay's downfall.  I have become more & more frustrated with the ebay. When you are right, you are right. Don't let yourself be convinced otherwise.  

Message 40 of 74
latest reply

you think ebay should kick them off the platform rather than giving these 'poor sellers' a chance to improve - if it happened to you i think you'd feel a little differently - as in coming here complaining about it.  and you would be right.  weak argument.

Message 41 of 74
latest reply

@karthok.of.daolodus wrote:

you think ebay should kick them off the platform rather than giving these 'poor sellers' a chance to improve - if it happened to you i think you'd feel a little differently - as in coming here complaining about it.  and you would be right.  weak argument.

Careful, conversations become very circular with this poster.

Just as a little additional information.  The Service Metrics penalty fee does NOT affect many sellers.  While very important for those sellers that to fall into the penalty fee, fortunately most sellers don't get into such trouble with their accounts.

Message 42 of 74
latest reply

Hi mam - Not so nice.

Message 43 of 74
latest reply

Hi - I was trying to make a point. I was not saying the ebay should kick them off. Besides how is ebay getting more money supposed to teach the poor sellers to improve.? Give me a break. It could be argued in all sorts of ways. Mam says discussions with me become circular. How about with her or with you? Do you & the others have a monopoly on being right? Why are you two so fast in trying to discredit what I am saying. If it is nonsense, then ignore it. if it is correct, then leave it alone.                                  I dislike having what I post misused, twisted, & taken out of context.                 We all like to think we are correct. I am actually trying to help someone that is frustrated. Does shoving the rules at them & telling them that they are wrong help them? How about a little agreeance & some kindness. I know what it is like to be on the receiving end of your & mam's & other's barbs. It is not too much fun.

Message 44 of 74
latest reply

@oldcoin007 wrote:

Hi mam - Not so nice.

kinda true though.  you need to win your arguments by logic, not repetition.  i'm saying that this argument did not really make sense. 

Message 45 of 74
latest reply