cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback protection

I am part of the free returns program so if a buyer request to return a item and I give them a refund I am protected from that buyer leaving me negative feedback. I had a buyer recently request to return their item and within a few minutes they closed the request. They told me I should have been the one to open the return request. They are still going to return the item. Will I still be protected after I give them a refund since they closed the request?

Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Feedback protection

I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't be, but you can always reach out to eBay for Business on Facebook - I ask them random questions like this frequently and always get a concise response.

Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Hi, @better_buys_here2006 like you, i also offer free returns. But i am not aware that free returns protects sellers from negative feedback. The main benefit of FR is that the seller can give a partial refund for items not returned in original condition.

Can you point out the policy that states Free Returns protects one from poor feedback? I checked the information in the Help page below, but found nothing to corroborate it. Thanks!

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/service-and-payments/returns.html

Message 3 of 10
latest reply

As far as the policy is written, you are only protected from neutral/negative feedback if a buyer opens a return request, sent the item back, and you issue a deduction (partial refund).

If they open a return request and then closed it, then there is no feedback protection.

Message 5 of 10
latest reply

@innovatilife wrote:

As far as the policy is written, you are only protected from neutral/negative feedback if a buyer opens a return request, sent the item back, and you issue a deduction (partial refund).

If they open a return request and then closed it, then there is no feedback protection.

The policy says you’re covered for negative feedback removal if an item is returned damaged or missing parts, if you issue a partial refund on a free return, if a buyer leaves a lot of negative feedback, if a buyer opens a lot of claims or returns, if a buyer demands a change to the order, if a buyer demands extras outside of the original agreement, if a shipment arrives late or is lost due to events beyond your control, and if you use the Global Shipping Program and the shipment is damaged due to events beyond your control.

That’s a heck of a lot of detail for an eBay policy, but I doubt they can list every situation that might arise with free returns. It's highly unlikely they planned for this loophole by intentionally omitting “if a buyer opens a case, then closes it, then you issue a refund, then the buyer leaves negative feedback” from the written policy.

This situation seems like more of a technicality, if anything. I can’t think of a single reason it would disqualify a seller offering free returns from coverage.

Message 6 of 10
latest reply

Starting June 1, 2018, when you offer free returns, you'll have greater control to manage your business, and you can decide to issue partial refunds to buyers. For example, if a buyer uses or damages an item and returns it, you can decide to issue a partial refund and we'll take it from there. If a buyer escalates a case, we'll take care of it for you so you can focus on your business. Plus, we'll protect your reputation from any negative feedback.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

I learned something new today. Thank you!! 

Message 8 of 10
latest reply

Once a buyer has paid for the item, eBay has absolutely no protection for sellers against feedback of any kind. If a buyer pays, he can leave feedback if he so chooses and  if it's negative, the seller can do nothing about it.

The only time a seller is feedback-protected is if a buyer does not pay within 5 days. Otherwise sellers are SOL.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

@downunder-61 wrote:

Starting June 1, 2018, when you offer free returns, you'll have greater control to manage your business, and you can decide to issue partial refunds to buyers. For example, if a buyer uses or damages an item and returns it, you can decide to issue a partial refund and we'll take it from there. If a buyer escalates a case, we'll take care of it for you so you can focus on your business. Plus, we'll protect your reputation from any negative feedback.

This statement from the Seller Update 2018, is not well defined. I took it as meaning that the seller is protected only if issuing a partial refund. If something else goes wrong, i think eBay might not protect that seller from a negative (unless that negative is in regard to circumstances beyond the seller’s control, such as bad weather.) Nowhere does it say there is blanket protection from any negative. 

Message 10 of 10
latest reply