cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Feedback extortion from buyer? Should I cancel items?

Hello, I am dealing with a situation that I believe is feedback extortion. A buyer asked if I had anymore keychains from a certain series instock, I went ahead listed the items and then let them know I uploaded all I had. Someone else bought one of the keychains before the first buyer, this seems to be the keychain they wanted and now they are threatening with negative feedback because it sold out. The buyer has left two negative feedback on items they did "Buy Now" on, I do not believe they actually plan on purchasing these items as they have not paid and they sent me a private message in which they said they would not change their feedback unless I cancelled the other person's order and sold them the item.

I will not cancel the other person's order because they bought it fair and the upset buyer never told me which keychains they wanted and never requested any be put on hold. This buyer also used one account to contact me with and then another account to make the purcahse and leave negative feedback, I know they are the same person because of the real name and address on the accounts. Should I cancel the upset buyer's current two orders that they are using for their negative feedback extortion? Will that affect those negative feedbacks from being taken off? (if ebay does something about) I have used the report user feature and did a feedback revision request. Buyer has declined feedback revision and I have not heard anything from ebay yet. I called, but the associate only told me to do feedback revision request.

(Am I allowed to post he upset user's message here?)

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

@mary_chariot wrote:

Hello, I am dealing with a situation that I believe is feedback extortion. A buyer asked if I had anymore keychains from a certain series instock, I went ahead listed the items and then let them know I uploaded all I had. Someone else bought one of the keychains before the first buyer, this seems to be the keychain they wanted and now they are threatening with negative feedback because it sold out. The buyer has left two negative feedback on items they did "Buy Now" on, I do not believe they actually plan on purchasing these items as they have not paid and they sent me a private message in which they said they would not change their feedback unless I cancelled the other person's order and sold them the item.

I will not cancel the other person's order because they bought it fair and the upset buyer never told me which keychains they wanted and never requested any be put on hold. This buyer also used one account to contact me with and then another account to make the purcahse and leave negative feedback, I know they are the same person because of the real name and address on the accounts. Should I cancel the upset buyer's current two orders that they are using for their negative feedback extortion? Will that affect those negative feedbacks from being taken off? (if ebay does something about) I have used the report user feature and did a feedback revision request. Buyer has declined feedback revision and I have not heard anything from ebay yet. I called, but the associate only told me to do feedback revision request.

(Am I allowed to post he upset user's message here?)

Your story is confusing me... This is what I see.

You sold two items late on July 15th. It sounds like you haven't shipped them yet. They left you negative feedback (and used an account to purchase in order to do so).

You should be able to get this removed, but it might take a lot of time and calls to get someone who will listen.

This is your argument, you sold two items to a buyer you were already having a problem with (make sure they read the messages, as long as they're in your eBay message box), and left negative feedback almost immediately, before you even shipped. How can they be disappointed with your purchase if they bought something and then immediately left feedback?

Here's a question... did you even get paid? If you haven't been paid, yes it's removable, they can't just not pay you and leave negative feedback for no valid reason. They aren't a buyer until they pay. Prior to paying, it's just a commitment to purchase, but you don't have to ship anything until they pay.

As for cancelling all the orders from this person, I think you should, but I always make eBay walk me through the process as if I don't know how to do it, give me a call number and their first name, so I can "call back if there's any problems with this later". Make sure you get a call number if you want the call to be noted, otherwise there will be no record of your call.

Cheers, C.

Message 2 of 28
latest reply

That's right, they haven't paid for the two items yet and left negative feedback. At the time, I hadn't even sent them the new invoice. Sorry about the confusion, there's a lot to this situation so, it's hard to write it out short and simply.

Alright, I will try your advice and call ebay to cancel the items. Just to make sure I have this right, I would just tell them I need to cancel an order (two items) because the buyer has not paid? Should I bring up the negative feedback in this call?

Thank you for responding!

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

Cancelling an order where a buyer hasn't paid? Maybe consider opening a UPI (Unpaid Item Claim). Doing so and with a successful closing after 96 hours after opening you kill two birds with one stone - the bad buyer receives an unpaid item strike and is prevented from leaving feedback. The feedback the buyer left prior should be automatically removed, If not it's a slam dunk for removal with a call to ebay.

Save all the messages the buyer has sent in case you need to contact ebay later should the buyer pay. If they do pay, you ship even with the outcome the buyer will most likely have a problem and open a SNAD to return. Our thinking is push buyers like this to the  limit in am attempt to give this type buyer a unpaid item strike and also be placed on eBay's radar for being a bad buyer. No buyer has the right to threathen and give negative feedback for not cancellling another buyer's purchase so they can buy. CALL ebay and ask for "Trust and Safety" and have them read the messages

@mary_chariot wrote:

That's right, they haven't paid for the two items yet and left negative feedback. At the time, I hadn't even sent them the new invoice. Sorry about the confusion, there's a lot to this situation so, it's hard to write it out short and simply.

Alright, I will try your advice and call ebay to cancel the items. Just to make sure I have this right, I would just tell them I need to cancel an order (two items) because the buyer has not paid? Should I bring up the negative feedback in this call?

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

Thanks for the tips! I haven't taken any other actions yet. (hasn't quite been a full 2 days yet) I think I will go with the Unpaid Item Claim once I can open it and see how that goes.

I have both copied the messages in a document and have taken screenshots so, hopefully I have all my records for ebay should they need it.

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

No, don't post the upset user's id.  

If there is ever a doubt as to what is appropriate, just google Ebay Board Rules of Engagement.

Or use this link.

https://community.ebay.com/t5/About-the-Community/Rules-of-Engagement/td-p/26164369

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

Not only the buyer's id, but also any communication between you and the buyer. That is also off limits on the discussion boards.

According to the Rules of Engagement for the discussion boards:

"9.  Keep private interactions confidential.  We assume that email and private message content is intended only for the recipient(s).  Do not post personal names, addresses, tracking numbers, private messages, chat transcripts or emails from Community members, moderators or eBay."

Message 7 of 28
latest reply

Oops. Meant to reply to the OP . . .
Message 8 of 28
latest reply

@mary_chariot  put the buyer on your Blocked Bidder List immediately so they can't purchase anymore of your itens and cause you more grief.  If indeed they used two different eBay IDs put BOTH on your BBL.

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

Yeah, I was thinking if I copied and pasted any private messages between me and the buyer, that might be breaking some kind of confidential rule. Thanks for letting me know and giving me that link!

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

Open an Unpaid Item Dispute on each of the purchased items.

Add the grouch to your Blocked Bidder List.

Unfortunately, because there was a (failed) transaction you can't Block communication. (But try anyway.)

If he doesn't pay for the items, he gets Strikes and you can have the FB removed.

If you go to the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page, you don't have to deal with customer service.

Open the UID (48 hours after purchase) and close it promptly (96 hours later.)

You will only need Customer Service to remove the FB. But get your fees back and give the grouch Strikes first.

Message 11 of 28
latest reply

BTW- If you ever decide to make a listing for a special customer again, use the customer's ID as the title,  but write and picture as usual. You may also adjust the price and shipping.

List as Fixed Price/Immediate Payment Required/ 30 days.

Then give the customer the title (her name- easy peasey) and a deadline (72 hours?).

If the customer misses the deadline, Block her as a timewaster, and revise the title (and possible pricing) to something more saleable. At this point you may also decide to remove IPR or not.

Your revised listing will run for another 27 days and be available to everyone but the timewaster.

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

@mary_chariot wrote:

No, just tell them you got negative feedback from a buyer who hasn't even paid. They can't just buy things to be able to leave negative feedback.

As for the cancellation, I would say that this buyer is causing trouble (and illustrate what is happening) and get them to tell you how to cancel the sale. They have to tell you, walk you through it, even if you already know. And then give you a call reference number.

Cheers, C.

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Open an Unpaid Item Dispute on each of the purchased items.

Add the grouch to your Blocked Bidder List.

Unfortunately, because there was a (failed) transaction you can't Block communication. (But try anyway.)

If he doesn't pay for the items, he gets Strikes and you can have the FB removed.

If you go to the Resolution Centre at the bottom of this page, you don't have to deal with customer service.

Open the UID (48 hours after purchase) and close it promptly (96 hours later.)

You will only need Customer Service to remove the FB. But get your fees back and give the grouch Strikes first.

Remove FB first, then do UPI.

If you open a UPI and the customer pays, the FB will probably stick.

I wouldn't do a UPI because I don't want a buyer to pay after all that, so that's why I said to cancel. But not without being walked through it from a CSR.

Cheers, C.

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

I'm not sure I understand the let a CSR walk you through a cancellation.  They walk many sellers straight into forest fires. 

Message 15 of 28
latest reply