cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fee is almost 'double'

Hello:

I posted the item as 7-days' auction.  However, the buyer wanted it right now, .... 'Buy Now' option.  

I cancelled '7-days' auction' and changed the item  as 'BUY NOW' option for the buyer to have purchased right now.  The buyer bought it and paid instantly.

When I looked at 'Fee' charged by eBay was almost 'double-fee.'  It was almost $45 took out the item sold at $215.  Is there eBay policy to charge almost 'double' fee if I listed '7-days' auction' to change to 'BUY NOW' option ?

Thanks for any help on this regard. 

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Fee is almost 'double'

If they did charge you fvf for both the auction and for the fixed price listing you could try contacting eBay customer service via Twitter or Facebook. Explain that you sold to the same bidder and they might take off the auction charge.

Did you have a reserve on the auction?  That fee is still charged if the suction has been ended.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 5 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

eBay charges a penalty fee when you cancel bids and end an auction early. This is because eBay assumes that the canceled bidder(s) are disappointed that you ended the listing.   When you ended the auction, there was an option to sell to the current high bidder; then you could have avoided paying the final value fee again on the relisted item.

This Help page has a chart which shows eBay's various policies about when you can end an auction and what will happen.  Under ending an auction that has bids, you will see, "you may end the listing by cancelling all bids. You may be charged a final value fee based on the amount of the highest bid, or you may sell the item to the highest bidder."

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/listings/creating-managing-listings/cancelling-listing?id=4146

Message 2 of 16
latest reply

The time to decide if you want to auction your stuff, or BIN your stuff is when you make the listing. By ending an auction that was suppose to last 7 days you did not follow through with your commitment. It stopped anyone else from bidding before the end.

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

@springa392012   how do u know u were charged double if the auction price was not borne out?

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

If they did charge you fvf for both the auction and for the fixed price listing you could try contacting eBay customer service via Twitter or Facebook. Explain that you sold to the same bidder and they might take off the auction charge.

Did you have a reserve on the auction?  That fee is still charged if the suction has been ended.

Message 5 of 16
latest reply

Did you offer free shipping and then paid Ebay shipping and the package was big?  If yes, that is YOUR fault for not adding the shipping cost to the starting price.  There is NO such thing as free shipping unless you stole stamps or are using your job's shipping account with UPS or Fed Ex.

Message 6 of 16
latest reply

If you had the item in 2 categories, you do pay double fees.   Did you do that?  Did you promote the item and chose the high number that ebay suggested?    You need to look at the breakdown of the fees.   Go to my ebay, go to the sold item and somewhere on the page, you can click and see the actual breakdown.

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

This isn't about shipping cost or two categories.  He got charged FVF twice: Once for the auction that was canceled, and once for the fixed price relist that was sold.

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

If you don't want to do auction format, don't do auctions.

Ending auction early should have larger penalty to discourage it IMHO.

Message 9 of 16
latest reply

Thanks for the VERY helpful response. When I looked at 'break-down,' not that FEE, more than $15 missing.   I definitely contact eBay customer service.

Thanks!!!

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

I just did 'Live Chat,' and the agent told me the remaining, extra fee will be reimbursed  within 1-2 days.   I really appreciate it, .... not a money also there is 'feeling' to think about. 

No-one likes to be 'cheated feelings.' 

Thanks for the help!

Message 11 of 16
latest reply

@springa392012  Did she say she is being nice and giving you a "curtesy" refund for ending your auction early ?

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

My question is why would you end an auction early when the price could go much higher.  I hope it works out!

Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@springa392012 wrote:

If you cancel bids and end an auction, you are liable for fees based on the current high bid.

That is stated clearly in the fee schedule.

If you feel cheated, perhaps that is because you also feel entitled.

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

@springa392012 wrote:

I just did 'Live Chat,' and the agent told me the remaining, extra fee will be reimbursed  within 1-2 days.   I really appreciate it, .... not a money also there is 'feeling' to think about. 

Thanks for the help!

Ebay does not want sellers to disappoint buyers. You DID disappoint buyers when you canceled their valid bids to end the listing early. That is why there is  a penalty.

But, I guess.. as long as you don't have cheated feelings it makes it okay to do.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 15 of 16
latest reply